1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel Format? (which is better?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by german199, Jan 8, 2010.

1. german199

german199 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9999K 120KB
    [​IMG]

What do you think is the best?

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Any mode that support 4:4:4 will be fine. Just select the one you like th elook of.

Personally, i use YCbCr.

3. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 1531/8001 WC
    I have always used Full RGB. Just feels like the colors look better using that settings.

OnnA likes this.
  4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    same same.

5. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    only go for YcbCr if you are doing photography printing, from what I understand its closer to the cmyk profile. Or so I thought anyway

6. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    Full RGB for me - I've tried every mode and only Full RGB produces accurate colors for my Samsung 32" LCD-TV. Using other modes the colors are plain, there are some "artifacts" on the screen, especially with white screen and blue/red text.

7. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    YCbCr for me on 46" Samsung LN46A630 1080P LCD :)

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    w0t I don't even have that options in my CCC, 9.12 what gives Oo?

9. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Are you HDMI connected? I only got the option when I moved away from DVI...

Full RGB for me btw. Appears to give clearer text and sharper colours on my 46" LED Samsung.

10. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well there is no diffrence between hdmi and dvi it is both digitally output, only diff is hdmi got audio in the same cable, thats it.

So not sure what the diffrence might be, I don't have all those options at all :)..

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I agree, but CCC thinks you're not worthy :) with DVI for an option.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  12. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm yah, but on my other monitor I had a hdmi -> dvi connector and I can't recall that one having pixel mapping options either..

Guess it doesn't matter that much in the end, though would be nice to know if the pic could be even clearer etc then it already is, now I will never know :/

13. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Yes but it needs to connect hdmi to hdmi for the option to appear. Hdmi to dvi, will not work.

14. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti SC
    I have the 'Pixel Format' option as I'm connected via HDMI but I can only choose between Full RGB and Limited RGB. Any idea how can I get more options?

15. FastZ28

FastZ28 Active Member

GPU:
    Tri-Fire (4870/4870/4850)
    Depends on driver level, TV vs PC monitor... best you can do without calibration is eye-ball it, use DVE type disc, trial & error, & know your TV/Mon and source material (games/movies/etc).

ATI (the source, HDMI or DVI using ATI's dongle) queries the "Sink" (TV/Mon) for it's EDID (abilities) stored in its NVRAM/eprom...

You can do the same (& should) using this tiny utility to see that Windows is properly reading the Sink's EDID, it's real simple, on my PC it even said how many hours my Acer X223W has been in use:
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Also helps troubleshoot HDMI audio problems (esp on Intel chipsets) to verify that Windows has the proper EDID on its registry, simply compare it with the "realtime" data from that util. CEA-EXT block contains HDMI audio data that is interleaved with the video (its not on different pins, which is why older ATI DVI cards send HDMI audio just fine via their pimped grey dongle (it has small part tells ATI driver to send HDMI audio, among other things), this makes ATI 100% DVI compliant so-as to not send any audio without "their" dongle.

Red text on blue background would have softer edges on YCbCr 4:2:2 since it reduces the color resolution. PC video has 8-bit samples (0-255), but normal video usually goes from 16-235. Getting these mixed results in crushing blacks, lost detail, greys instead of true black, etc.

DVI to DVI monitor gives "color temp" slider that trades with pixel formats on HDMI (or DVI with ATI HDMI dongle) to show formats that "your" particular display supports.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

16. The Layered Mix

The Layered Mix New Member

GPU:
    AMD 6670/1GB DDR5
    You are absolutely correct! That is the only difference between DVI & HDMI. I use an DVI - HDMI cable to connect to a Samsung Model #: UN32EH5300FXZA HDTV and everything works fine. I prefer this due to my computer audio is of much higher quality than the TV speakers.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    OMG, what a necroposting you did there.

sammarbella, Keitosha and Fox2232 like this.
  18. DigDeep

DigDeep Member

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    I use and think Full RGB is the best. But on some monitors different format may look better.

19. shakyor

shakyor Member

GPU:
    380x
    Rull rgb is the best
    DP using it by default

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019