Pirating Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WildStyle, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    for those that are all tide up in a knot over the devs loosing money know this, most of what you pay for a game does not go to the developers. it goes to the publisher, adverts, E3, other licensing and all sorts of stuff. the devs will get maybe $5-$10 of what you spend. so frankly they couldn't care less.

so here's my view on the subject, f*uck 'em, if the "artests" (aka. the ones who actualy put forth the work and effort into making the game) aren't getting my money than I'm not going to pay a damn cent for it, I'd rather go and hand over the $50 to the programmer, than watch the publishers drive the devs up the ass with out even bothering to lube it up first.

wait untill I become a programmer I'm going to slap my balls across these publishers faces and give them a tea-bagging they will never forget.

and for those saying "well it's illegal", ....so? sence when has the law been moraly correct? I hate people that act like the law is so damn sacred and that if you break it you are the devil.

the RIAA & MPAA are tyrants, it's all about money. so they'll pass as many laws as they can to get it. every pice of software I have made and will make will always cary a GNU license, so they can't tuch it, and if they try I'll be suing my fist of thunder up there ass.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    why do you think Valve got such a beef from their publisher for i think HL2 was it? one word...... Steam. money used to purchase the games goes straight to those that make the game, not to the money grubbing publishers who are basically there to give the game a shiny form of media and a pretty case, as well as making sure it's on the shelves in time. Pretty sure the creator of Garry's Mod is making a killing. yeah it only costs $10...... but...... it only costs $10. lol.

and yes.... the law does suck. as a friend of mine said, it's kind of sad that our country is basically still being run by the same general "laws" that were placed into effect MANY years ago, instead of changing laws where they are seen to be fit, and abolishing some that are just plain ridiculous. You know things are becoming really.... REALLY wrong when someone can break into someone elses house, believe nobody is home, set his gun on the table as he loots the place, the homeowner comes down to find the gun... grabs said gun.... shoots said person who broke into his house, and said person who got shot sues the person who shot him for... well.... shooting him. everybody is sue crazy. someone doesn't like something, they find a way to sue for it. then we have the idiots who will sue for damn near anything, no matter how ridiculous the claim is. like the old cliche'd deal with the woman who spilled hot McDonalds coffee on her lap, and sued McDonalds for it. wtf was she expecting, the coffee NOT to spill? spill-proof coffee.... frozen into a chunk? if she was worried about burning herself, why the hell didn't she go to a dunkin donuts and ask for an iced coffee with cream and sugar? oh wait.... then she'd probably sue Dunkin Donuts cause the coffee wasn't cold enough.

as Christopher Titus said in his standup routine titled Norman Rockwell is Bleeding:

"Because of every syndrome and disorder that we've invented in the last 20 years, the Los Angeles Times reported that 63% of American families are now considered dysfunctional, my god..... that means we're the majority..... WE'RE normal..... it's the people that HAD the mommy, the daddy, the brother, the sister, the little white picket fence, those people are the FREAKS man."

3. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    sometimes i dl, sometimes I buy...it depends on the game

games like HL2, hitman, company of heroes, prey, were all quality games and I went out and bought them because they deserved it

I also paid for FEAR. now that's a game I wish I would have stolen 1st, because I would have deleted it after about 20 minutes and never gave them a dime

people make a bigger deal out of piracy than what is actually happening. As I stated in my post in the stalker thread, video games had a record year last year in sales. It's not like everyone in the world suddenly stopped buying games, as certain people try to imply. Also, how many people downloading something would have bought it in the 1st place? There is far far far more to the issue than someone claiming to have lost billions and then pointing the finger at piracy.

And also, **** the RIAA. They are dinaosaurs who refuse to change with the times, and think that by bullying and extorting people (aka college students especially) that things will somehow revert back to how things went in the 80's or some ****.

If you adapt to the changing climate, you will remain profitable. If you refuse, you will fall behind and eventually fail. Downloading will never stop. Get over it. Think of a better way to entice people to buy your product.

4. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    Maybe you've heard of this awesome new invention called the cd/dvd burner

5. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    yep ;). also valve are idependant developers, so they get all the proffets.

P.S. I have the colectors edition of HL2.

EDIT: wait you said there publisher? they are the publisher.

6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Demo's and lower prices on games make it appealing for gamers. Most gamers want to test the game first. Then if they like it they will buy it. To bad most companies that make games can't get this down. They still want alot of money that you have no idea if your going to like it or not. As long as the prices of new games remain as high as they are now then pirating is going to keep on. I have only pirated games you can't buy anymore and are single player only.

7. archgimp

archgimp Active Member

GPU:
    PoV 8800 GTX 768mb
    Without getting too far into the rights and wrongs of game piracy - I would like to take a few moments to commend the games industry in general for taking what I believe is probably the sensible approach to tackling the issue of piracy.

With a movie or a CD, the MPAA or the RIAA respectively (or their equivalents in other territories) are agressively seeking ways to cause maximum damage to 'copyright infringers' (I do believe it's important to seperate people who infringe copyright in order to profit AKA pirates from those who do so for their own personal use AKA copyright infringers).

Those particular organisations also flat-out fabricate figures to equate copyright infringement with the failure of their product to sell instead of their failure to produce a marketable product in the first place.

The games industry on the other hand, simlpy invests money in making it difficult to make illegal copies of their products, in the solid knowledge that most people who infringe copyright aren't the sort who will spend a lot of effort to bypass these infringements.

The best man at my wedding is now a game designer at Relentless Software who produced the Buzz series of games for the PS2 (quiz show with buzzer controllers). When we were chatting about this very issue he made the point that there are 2 main surges of sales in an average product cycle. There's the early adopter surge who buy within a week of release - then there's the amusingly named piracy surge when copy protection is bypassed and the torrent sites etc spread the product far better than any distribution partner possibly could causing another large rush of sales from people who have perhaps seen a dodgy copy on someone else's PC yet don't want to risk an illegal copy (or just plain want to play online) so go out and buy themselves a copy.

Now, this isn't to say that pirating games is *good* for the developer community at all. All it illustrates is that it's not *all* bad. The people who are really hit by this are, of course, the smaller developers.

However, this needn't be the case. If a regularly updated copy protection mechanism like securom was available at very little cost, lets say developed by some of the talent that goes into cracking said protections, then everyone would benefit. The problem being, of course, the impatience of human beings.

A wide man once said: "There's two ways to become a millionaire: Convince one person to give you a million quid, or a million people to give you one." In the age of the internet, the distribution and promotional network is there for small developers to reach those million people, but after investing in a copy protection mechanism, the companies that make them want a few quick large sales instead of many smaller ones over a preiod of time. Again; a shame.

Anyway - not to ramble on too much, but I think it's important that this issue, like any, should be looked at in a balanced way. Copyright infringment is not all bad, or all good. But handled correctly, it can benefit both parties.

I leave you with these thoughts:

Cast your mind back to the release of Windows 95. How many people did you know who had a copy of windows 95 compared with how many who bought it... it didn't become the dominant OS of the time by entirely legitimate means - this is well documented.

Recently a senior MS exec has commented that they are aware of the problem of pirated vista but "...if theyre gonig to be pirating software, we'd rather it was ours instead of somebody else's'

How many of you have by now paid hundreds of pounds for a series of patches for the FIFA series or similar? Sorry, did I say patches? I meant an entirely new game looking identical to the last game but with a different year number on the end....

C'est la vie...

8. Zorr0

Zorr0 Active Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GT PCX 512MB
    I'd say 90% of internet users use p2p programs to pirate games. It's stupid to deny it. Very few people pay for games unless they are multiplayer ones like someone mentioned earlier in this post.

If I had to pay for all the software I have atm installed in my box I'd need to pay more money than what I paid for my box. That's simply ridiculous for the daily home use I give it, I don't make any profit with it. And that's just for apps like winrar, ftprush and such, nothing pro like photoshop etc. and lately ppl are more and more using free software like firefox, foxit, imgburn etc. because more expensive apps are worse... so, I think companies should build better apps and games and lower the prices before complaining about piracy, because I don't think they will ever be able to shut down piracy or fight against the "warez scene". Best crackers are out there ready to find a "solution" against any protection.

9. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    "The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club"

Pretty much sums it up for me.

10. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    i pirate games..... but if i like them i buy them anyway so i dont se anything too wrong with that....
    almost all games i hav bought i pirated originally and i liked them enough to buy them when i had the money, even though i already had them.....

another thing, if i buy a game or get givenm a game as a present for playstation, is it then worng to dl for pc if i already have a legit copy for another system.?

11. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    honestly i download pirated games to try before buy cause i have learned through the years that Demos won't really tell how the game fares in the end, i rarely play the game fully i just try a couple of level (fully), try tweaking the game, check for serious bugs... if all is fine i go out and grab a copy and uninstall the illegal one. 90% of the time i just go out and buy the game straight away. keep in mind these games downloaded illegaly can be up to 8GB and can take time but i find that it pays off trying before buying rather than waste your hard earned cash.

i did get the illegal version of STALKER first and seemed good to me so i went out and purchased it, the only thing i hate in the game is the weapons sound but when a game is that good i'm ready to put up with it. also the developers spent years trying to bring it out so purchasing it is the least we could do.

WOULD I BUY THIS GAME IF IT WERE "STARFORCED" ??

nope, i would've downloaded the cracked version for myself, my dad and my whole family. screw this s***t i am not going even to consider purchasing any Starforced game. ever!! i don't care if i am considered a pirate, a moron or a saint, I AM NOT GOING TO BUY STARFORCE FILLED GAMES. period.
    if i keep purchasing any Starforce game then there'll be no end in sight to this piece of garbage called Starforce, companies will be using it and ruin our pc's, NOT purchasing any would mean killing Starforce, companies will lose money and stop using the protection. i'm ok for SECUROM it is fine and never had problems nor with TAGES.

what defines piracy?

getting the full game try before buying is not piracy, grabbing the game, playing till the end, sharing with others is piracy.
    in this case i am not a pirate since i just try and then delete the game after purchasing the original. ;)

actually i want to say thanks to the mods for making a thread specific to pirating games, discussing about piracy (in general) is not a big deal, discussing WHERE & HOW to get the game that would be bad and earns this thread a lock. :)

12. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I dont agree with piracy at all, it IS theft.

However..... I think that games should all have demos out for them, so you can see if you like the game or not.
    An example of this was Call of Juarez. I played the demo, liked it and bought the full game.
    Xbox360 games have demos for them (mostly).
    There are far too many games out there, that appear good by their packaging and their spiel, but are terrible, unplayable, poorly finished, run like crap and a rip off when played.

You wouldnt buy a car or Tv without testing them first would you?

I like the idea of no-cd cracks though. I have loads of games (all genuine), and get sick of changing discs, and also having problems with them having slight scratches on them and not playing.
    I think if games were cheaper, there would be fewer illegal copies and less piracy. If a game was £30, you would think it was dear and may get it copied. If it was only £15, then you would find it more acceptable and probably buy it.

MATT

13. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    testing the full version is even better (just the 1st couple of levels)....IF you have the time to download it. Demos can run great while full versions run crap, full versions can run great while demos run crap. no guarantee, so i prefer trying the "final" build at least i know wtf am i going to get when i head to the shop ;)

14. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    AND THE SECOND RULE OF FIGHT CLUB IS YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB.

there's a saying in the offshore industry - safety first, safety second.

i'm saying nowt about piracy, i do buy games.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I buy new games all the time, but I have no problems downloading a really old game, there either hard to find in the shops or in the bargin bucket (or even shareware), so I dont think im being bad.

Its wrong to distribute and d/l new games imo, althoughI think the prices are very high. Same with music, in the UK cd's cost £15-20 which is too high really, no wonder people use file sharing progs.

16. Diorama

Diorama Master Guru

GPU:
    OcUK 7900 GS 512MB
    Piracy is just life made easier, I can either wait 2 weeks and spend £30 on a game I might not even like or download it and in 1 hour be playing it and then decide if I like it or not, free of charge.

I can either hunt down a single song in a dozen music stores which will take hours or I can type it in using Limewire and have it within 20 minutes, again free of charge.

To me it's about prices, I have an xbox 360 and I have bought over 30 games, most of them not worth it yet I kept buying them hoping one would be good, now imagine 30 games at £40 a pop, that's not cheap and I play my xbox once a week.

I bought 90% of the xbox 360 games up until a month ago, it's all FPS titles mainly and I can't be arsed with them, I used to buy PC games but stopped upgrading my PC so I didn't need to buy them, but now I have a new PC I'll end up buying games worth it so I can play online.

GRAW2 is GRAW1 with new weapons etc, it's not worth £40 is it, Crackdown is an average game that gets boring after a few hours which again isn't worth £40, who would spend £40 on UEFA CL? it's rubbish, same with FIFA RTWC and FIFA WC.

The games today are too expensive and too short, the day I find a game that not only looks good, plays good and lasts long is the day I buy them.

17. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    You dont pirate games but do you download films...?

ban the internet

ban smoking

ban piracy

ban cheap sausages

18. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    In addition to some already said reasons pro download, I'd like to add some more. Also, it goes without further reasoning, that *quality* work gets
    my money for certain;..and very often twice (2 copies) to really show and appreciate the effort of the careful devs and 'responsible' publisher!
    -
    First and foremost, in the past I've purchased more than 'one to many' games, whose hype and ultra-goodness I believed hands down; and sourly was
    dissapointed thereafter. (Unplayability out of the box; bugs beyond repair of
    'RTM 1.0')
    I want to specify 3 examples; everyone by now, playing games got his own share of those 'experiences'

The Fall: Last days of Gaia
    Soldner
    Pacific Storm

I RAN out to buy those three...I also bought(preordered; twice) ArmA and with *good* reason and complete confidence.
    Stalker;...My copy did not arrive yet, but I play...now.
    -

Second; I like the uncut, intended by developer version, of violent games.
    All of those games are censored over here (germany) and its still me,
    who decides, what I can take and not take, thank you. (I'm 42)
    Whats more, I *cannot* stand most of the translations...its just horrible!
    If you followed the recent discussion(shootings), germanys government is about to *forbid* violent games over here completely;..which *also* includes legal import. Yeah right; go on. If this law passes, I will be completely illegal.
    Would you swallow that? Honestly?

Third, meanwhile I preorder all my games via Play.com online.
    For the price, I am required to pay here, I get two copies there; almost
    any top-title + even special versions. You got my money.

Fourth, I simply do not want to wait, until my shipment arrives and start
    playing, as soon as the title is avaiable(on the net). No harm done, from
    my point of view. Sue me? Think twice.
    This includes the possibility to cancel order, if I 'playtest' an complete dud;..see above. (Those games, IF properly patched[at all!] I'll get of
    some bargain deal much later. Lesson for devs: Do it right the first time;..with RTM 1.0, if you want full money from me. Lesson for publishers: Your greed
    destroys it all to hell. Yes, make it utmost difficult for the legal customer, to run(backup) his legal purchases and watch your sales decline-thats the reason!)

Fifth, I'm a *real* friend of backup copies. Ever tried to exchange an broken original, for whatever reason? There you go...policies. Furthermore;..if 'someone' already did the (increasingly difficult) work for me already;..
    thank you very much! :) Oh yeah, images/no-dvds are fine with me for obvious reasons.

Sixth, I will not buy any game, no matter how good I consider it to be,
    which requires online 'activation'. If THIS is the future, I *will* quit.
    Worthless junk, if those servers/companies go down in flames. Watch out
    and mark my words...maybe you will have to eat your own.
    I do have enough, very good games, I play regulary, thank you.

I do not feel any guilt. You know the saying: Screw me once...

19. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I'm amazed, although not completely surprised, at how many people there are who consider piracy OK. Those that try to justify it by saying things like, 'why should I have to pay that much' are pikeys. That's what it costs, live with it! If you can't afford it, work harder! I can't afford an Aston Martin, that's life, I'm not going to whinge at how much they cost.

Does anyone really think piracy is some kind of protest, and will make publishers/developers drop their prices? If anything it'll only go to increasing them.

Society today is disgusting when it comes to wanton greed. People want everything but also want to pay little or nothing for it. So many of you sound like spoilt little children, throwing tantrums 'cause you can't have what you want. How many of you selfish bastards ever think of others. Don't you think there are millions of kids, who would love to see a games machine, let alone actually play one. And all you do is get pissed off 'cause you might have to actually pay for a game, soon you'll be complaining because pirating takes too long!

I'm already seeing, in my own kids, how fast people get bored with something. Last Christmas they had so many presents bought for them, that by the end of the day there were still lots unopened! They didn't know what to do with all the toys. They've got it all and boredom now replaces excitement. Everyday is like Christmas to them! I used to get a few stocking fillers and one "main" present. I'd still be playing with it until the following Christmas. I was so excited on Christmas eve I couldn't sleep. Nowadays kids are like, 'Yeah, whatever, great, seen it all before'. It's a shame but that's how it is now.

The man who has it all will never be happy, look at Michael Jackson! ;)

"I want, I want, I want" is all I'm seeing in this thread and it revolts and repulses me.

I have nothing else to say on the matter.

20. morfeus02

morfeus02 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GOOD
    i personally do not buy a lot of games, i download them from p2p for 3 simple reasons:
    -if i buy a game i can't eat for 5 days (my parents give me 50€ each week and i use them to eat at college)
    -games cost way too much,if the price was reasonable i would buy them without problem (i bought stronghold 2 for 15€ and i was very happy)
    -gaming hardware costs A LOT of money,how the hellam i supposed to find all the money to buy a pc and buy games for it?O.O

That's my opinion.

Just an opinion don't agress me plz lol :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.