Pirating Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WildStyle, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Over in the Stalker thread there's a fairly heated debate about piracy going on.

Some users think it's ok to pirate games, others don't.

Now since I want the Stalker thread to remain soley ABOUT THE GAME RATHER THAN PIRACY, I'm creating this thread for you to discuss the issue of pirating games, be it Stalker or any other title.

Do you pirate games? Or do you buy them? Does it annoy you that others pirate games? To those that pirate games, what's your justification?

Discuss!

... And now that I've set this thread up, nobody is going to use it, right? ;)

2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  3. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This quote is from Hilbert, and still mods seem to have no interest in shutting down discussions on games that are clearly pirated (members have explicitly said so). Besides my personal views on the issue, can somebody explain to me why that is? Are standards lax these days?

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You want a thread closed because someone *might* be using pirated software? In case you have not noticed, STALKER is out in many countries now, and therefore it doesn't necessarily have to be pirated. Closing a thread based on assumptions will not happen.

Furthermore, we can't be held responsible for what other people do at home. If they've pirated the game, its their problem.

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    just like to say someone called me a tool(in the stalker thread) for saying that i think if people dowload games and try them and then buy them after thats stupid??

i aint going to lie i do it with music , i download an album listen to a few tracks if i like the first couple of tracks or think the album will be good i buy it and then delete the download of my HD thats wrong is it , no i still buy the album , games like stalker where theres no demo for single player i think its sensible to be able to try a game before you buy , i personnally have never downloaded a game and will never do as i have to much repsect for the industry to do that , well thats my thought on that subject

i dont agree with pirating at-all , it is stealing and should not be done , hence why i do not do it

so people think im wrong for saying this , can we have a civilized discussion if you cant keep it mature dont bother posting

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  7. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Quote: now if you decde to download and actually use it .. that would be illegal.

How do you think of that, then? ...

You actually downloaded and USED it in an illegal way... There's no way to rectify that, not even by buying the game later...

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well i'm not gonna lie, i do download the odd game (takes so long at 60kb/s i cba anymore really), if a game is really good i buy it(very rare)(UT series, bf series[but bf2 was **** so stopped after that] etc.), me and my friends tend to lend each other a lot of games. But mostly now i just stick to what i've got, mainly play DCX. I've pre-ordered Crysis and UT3 though.

My justification...I don't have loads of money, i rarely play other games except bf1942 w/DCX, so why should i buy it for a few hours? Most likely i'll delete it or rarely play it, or its not out yet, and i can't wait. EG. i bought BF2 for £28.99 and played it maybe 30hrs and hate it, why do that again?

10. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I see your point, and I understand that this is at least a sensitive issue, but this is the second thread in 2 weeks that started by people saying: Yuhoo, I pirated a game but its not out yet, let's talk about it:
    1.So it gets released tommorow I think but I already have it by some means of distribution. (Stalker)
    2. I went on some "other" forums and found that the game has been "shared" with other people and it is the full, (TD:U)

Now, what bothers me is not a games discussion but the blatant and frivolous admission to easy pirating or whatever you wanna call it. So I think this quite clearly is at least a "slightly illegal activity" and I think passive acceptance of piracy won't help this site's credibility.
    Having said that, if those are the new rules, it'll surely be something I can live with.

11. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I'm not too sure why you've started this thread Dave, but my views are already known by many. Piracy is illegal and therefore, in my opinion, is simply wrong. How anyone can justify carrying out an illegal act is beyond me.

I stated in another thread that piracy is basically theft, and although in the eyes of the law it is not classed as theft, rather "copyright infringement" it generally ends up that way. Surely if somebody downloads a game - for free - and not through the proper channels (i.e. the publisher/developer or official software sites) then as such having that game on your PC to play, without purchasing the right to play it, is theft.

I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty of what piracy actually is, I can't be arsed, but as far as I'm concerned if you install and play a game you haven't paid for, you are a thief.

That's an opinion of a honest person. Flame me if you wish, I'm used to it.

12. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    QFT, StormVR6.

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Two-fold. A) because I want the piracy discussion removed from the Stalker thread, so that thread can focus on the game alone. And B) because I thought it may make an interesting discussion in general. Perhaps it was a mistake, we'll soon see.

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    as it's been said.... games like Stalker and TDU have been released in other countries...... TDU being out in Finland for at least a week or two already.... so the comments people are making about it that they have it don't necessarily mean they pirated it.

As for pirating games..... i'll admit that i do so. usually only if there's no demo available, and as long as i'm somewhat interested in the game. If it's a game i've never heard of, and even looking at the game or reading about it makes it sound terrible, i don't even bother with it. if you ask me, NOT making a demo for a game you're trying to sell is more idiotic than making a crappy game and marketing it for $50. THAT is why i pirate games. When there's a game that i'm relatively interested in, and might be willing to buy, but can't find a demo, then pirating is the only way to "try before you buy" in the gaming market. you can't go out and buy a game, try it, and return it if you don't like it. why? cause you may have copied it, whether you did or didn't. And trading them in at places like EB Games and Gamestop is pretty worthless, ESPECIALLY if it's a brand new, just released game. Bought DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for my Wii shortly after it came out. played it, didn't like it all that much..... least not compared to the original Tenkaichi.... and the control system they had for it got kind of annoying. called the same Gamestop that i purchased it from maybe 3 days later, what'd they say i'd get for a trade in on it? like $12..... when i paid $50. yeah..... they won't catch me dead trading in a game that was out of it's original packaging for a few days for a 75% loss in money so they can sell it for $44.99 or so instead of $49.99 that it sells for new. that's BS if you ask me.

so.... as i said..... if there's a game i'm kinda interested in, but there's no demo, i usually wait til it's released, download it, and try it. if i don't like it, i uninstall it, and delete whatever image file may be on my computer of said game. if i do like it, i delete the image file, and buy the game. If there's a game i know i'll probably like (such as Crysis, BioShock, UT3, etc...), i usually buy them on the spot. It's just logical that way if you ask me. why waste money on something you won't play a few days after you buy it cause you found out all too late that the game sucks?

15. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    I must admit.
    I have pirated games but if the game is good I will buy it....
    Those games I download or mostly to see how good they are and if they are worth my money.

16. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    yeah id say thats good of you to delete the game and buy it if you like it , games arnt cheap these days so buying a game to find out it sucks big time is a waste of time and money

if every game was £10 i wouldnt care if it was crap becuase its a tenner but when i pay £30 for a game thats crap and get £10 back for it a week later its slighty annoying , luckily play.com helps me out alot with the costs ;)

17. arnie

arnie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. First of all, many people carry out illegal acts because the law is, for whatever reason, inappropriate. For example, Nelson Mandela carried out numerous illegal acts when he was fighting to end apartheid, but those actions are completely justifiable. So to say that breaking the law is never justifiable is simply, in my eyes, incorrect.

Secondly, it is not theft. Theft is where you illegally take an item from someone. By downloading a game you never take a game from the game company, they still have their game, they have lost nothing, because most studies show most people who pirate games would not buy the game if pirating was not an option, so no, it is not theft at all.

18. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    ok here are some reason why people pirate games.

1. they need to make pc demos, so people can try it out before they buy it. look at xbox live, u can download a demo before the game comes out or after the game comes out. if doing so this the player know if the game is good or not.

2. MAKE THE DAMM GAME AS THE SAME AS CONSOLE. this is a big point why people pirate games because sure they make a port of the console but not 100%. some are missing alot of things that the console did not have like for ex. Rainbow Six Vegas. Rainbow Six Vegas for pc has low res gfx and run like crap on high end system when on xbox 360 run great and look way better. not only that it has HDR + AA when Pc has HDR only.

3. Make Good Games

4. Ubi Soft and EA, Stop making crappy games and ports. Shame on u Ubisoft for messing up RE 4 for pc with a crappy port and EA for messing up Need For Speed and other games. and Ubi Soft for messing up one of the best games i ever play Prince Of Persia Sand of time and not for making Beyond Good and Evil 2 :(

19. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    Rainbow Six: Vegas looks better on PC.
    "Rainbow Six Vegas sports some excellent graphics, and the PC version looks just as good as the Xbox 360 version--it's even slightly better in some places. The downside is your frame rate will vary depending on your hardware, and you'll obviously need a fairly powerful system to run it at high detail with fast frame rates." Source: Gamespot.com

I do agree they should start making better ports, but the really bad one have only been Ubisoft.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    take one example that i found out too late on..... think it was SpiderMan or SpiderMan 2 for PC. watching the commercials, with them saying you can go anywhere and do anything, was like "WOW, THAT'S AWESOME". bought it for PC..... could do very little. watched the commercial again, and in fine print, think it said "free-roaming only in console versions" or something along those lines. and it was pretty damn fine print too.

Things like these make you wanna march outside the game developers headquarters screaming "F*CK YOU!"

edit: and yeah.... R6: Vegas ran fine for me and looked great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.