Piranha Bytes "Risen"

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Hmm... I did that, but he didn't turn himself in...

Well, got another lead anyway, the cartographers ring, that Cid's wife has. I hope I didn't spoil much for anyone:pc1:

2. Lord Nemesis

Lord Nemesis Member

GPU:
    Dell 2007WFP, 2 x HD6950
    You need to go back and talk to the guy from the order and confront cid with that news in order the mission to complete.

In any case, you might use Nelsons ring as well, but in my case, I pick-pocketed the ring from her and returned it to Nelson the cartographer. He gave it back to me as a reward saying its rare to find such honest people.. LOL talk about irony. :)

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Yeah, honesty is... yeah...:D

BTW, can't you like trade that for a pearl necklace?

4. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    For you guys starting out, and finding combat hard (I sure did), dodging sideways is your best friend.

Blocking and counter attacks suck until you get your skills up real high. For instance, I remember absolutely hating to fight the Ghouls, but now I just mow through them, as I don't have to rely on dodging/timing much anymore.

At first though, it's all you've got, or you'll just get pounded.

5. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    There are a lot of blatant spoilers being dumped on the forums here guys. Lets be more cautious for those trying to enjoy the game :)

Ive nearly just cleared the entire harbour town - but its taken me the best part of 4 hours!!

Awesome...

6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why would you want to expose Cid?

If you are playing for the Don then do not expose him,just find the spy and kill him then talk to cid.

You can then in turn tell the inquistion guy that it was cid and you found the spy but Cid made him dissapear,he will say that now there is no prrof.

I reloaded the game and just told cid,then killed the spy and never talked to the inquistion guy about it.

I have one issue and that is the fact that a rotworm killed rhogar (the guy at the Don's camp in the house in the Brugle weed swamps) and he is now gone and has been for the last 14 hours of my game.

Also I could not fleece the butcher...Has anyone gotten that to work the right way?

7. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    After you talk to him the first time, go back to cid and he'll give you a second quest to fleece the butcher.

8. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Hey, peter_molyneux, what's your thoughts on the game? I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

9. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Haha, o boy here it goes...:D

10. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    This butcher quest seems bugged.

11. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    And the disgusting insects quest have bug too. There should be 4 insects to kill, but I can't find the fourth :bang:

12. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Heh, it's better than Fable, that's for sure :p

13. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Hey c'mon, I'm not joking. I value his thoughts, because I usually agree with him on many points.

14. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    O RLY?

Like which ones? Being quite serious here:p

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh dear, just reached chapter2 and I've been playing for 13.5 hours!!! Are the remaining chapters this time consuming as well?

16. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    No, the 3rd Capter is not so long u can make it in an hour,but I can't get into Chapter 4 :(

17. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The bug quest I did not do a thing.I just walked around and saw bug 1 ,bug 2 etc quest done.

18. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Well I went into it with very low expectations. I assumed Risen would be another poor entry along the lines of Gothic 3 and Two Worlds, but it is actually a decent game.

Overall I find the visuals to be lacking, particularly distant environments and the terrible single female character model. The variety of quests at the beginning of the game is good, but with only a couple long quests (e.g. Steelbeard's Treasure and the undead lords) and two quest hubs, they "dry up" pretty fast and leave the player with only the main quest to focus on.

But the island is very detailed and well-designed, and I think the combat is a step up from traditional click-spam normally seen in RPG's. It's also pretty well itemized; new armor sets are rare and provide a sense of accomplishment when you acquire them. This is certainly better than finding full suits of Daedric armor on random bandits in the disaster that is Oblivion.

Risen and Resident Evil 5 for PC are the only decent games I can recall playing recently. Both were surprises since I found RE5 to be unplayable on the PS3 and assumed Risen was going to be another German shovelware RPG.

edit: keep in mind that Fable 3 is going to blow all other RPG's out of the water with the incredible new Natal technology

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  19. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    when do chapter 2 start been playign for 28hours and still chapter 1 ive cleared the swamp and harbour town and now clearing the rest of the land east of the volcano

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It starts when you.
    Meet with Inquisitor Mendoza at the monastery, either for the Don or as part of your completed initiation as a novice.