Pipe actication with the new rivatuner!!?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Gamergod, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You are still missing the point.

I just don't care who discovered it first. Neither B3D or NVNews posted this on their frontpages. It might have been discussed in their forums where a hand full of people discussed it, that I just do not know for sure.

Credit where credit is due but the fact is, Alex did discover it by himself and we reported it on his request next to that he's combining his magic with RT. All of this was clearly stated in the news-bulletin.

The fact that W2S and others did report it as news also to me states one more thing, who really knew about this except some people in some forums ? Excactly, well the word is out for sure now; which is a good thing.

You are making a hype about nothing. However, I do understand what your ground for reporting this is. I'll revise the news-bulletin a tiny bit also okay ?

Anyway, enough has been said about this, let's please get back on-topic.

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    OK with me. ;)

3. cmoz

cmoz New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 6800 Gamers Edition v9999
    This news about the Vertex Shader sounds VERY good to me because I'm thinking " What are the odds that every card that had to be sold as a 6800NU because it had bad pipelines also had a bad VS and vice versa how many cards that had to be sold as a NU because of a bad VS have bad pipelines as well" To me this sounds as if we have a greater chance of getting some sort of performance boost be it either through an unlocked VS or unlocked Pipelines

4. thoper

thoper Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800nu 128
    cmoz you are right!!!!

is very unlikely that BOTH the vertex and the pipes are BAD, this is great!!!
    however if my 6800nu has something bad i prefer to be the vertex, bcause the pipes are more important, or not?

i like to see some 6800gt benchs @350:800 to see if this will be a big improvement or the memory bandwidth is too important.

SORRY about the english, its not my native language

5. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Yes, pixel processing power is more important for games.
    You only need more geometry power in CAD app, and 6/5=20% increase maximum.

Memory bandwidth for 6800 is enough, limitations will come not from it but from the size of the memory (only 128MB).
    This means you can run games at 1024*768*4XAA or at best, and not in the newest games, 1280*960*4XAA.

More pipes menas more fillrate, so Anisotropic texturing will be improved.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  6. fubar2003

fubar2003 Member

GPU:
    Asus GF6800 (V999GE)
    Going back about twelve pages, did anyone actually get a beta copy of the next version of RT? I know that the pixel shader details were found after that, but did anyone test the pipe unlocking tools? I can understand if Unwinder didnt release it for beta testing, as the possibility of a "leak" of the unfinished article would be quite high.

On a slightly different note, If unwinder wants free .com hosting for rivatuner (rivatuner.com?) I have about 30 gigs of webspace and 150 gigs transfer/month availiable which I will donate to the project. Just depends if he wants to spend time with site creation, or knows someone who does.

7. Cybercat

Cybercat Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

8. r2d2d3d4d5

r2d2d3d4d5 Guest

I'm pretty sure that only regulars/mods got the beta. I seem to remember at least one saying he had it, somewhere in this thread.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Re: Re: Non ultra 6800's have 1 or more disbaled vertex processors?

Thanx Alex. If you can supply me with the links, it wold be nice. ;) And don't be so optimistic about enabling it. Vertex processors can be masked at hardware level like quads. So great amount of users with really bad chips simply won't be enable it.

10. ENCENERATOR

ENCENERATOR Guest

Hi, Unwinder

I got myself an aopen 6800le and i would verry much enjoy it to beta test your new (yet unfinished) new rivatuner te see what the affects are on a 6800le card (i might even get 16 pipes :D !)
    not that i just cant wait for the release it would become clear if it works on the le versions, and if it struggles with some issues that can be solved for the final relese.

and i have no intentions of spilling the beta rivatuner on the web or something like that!

Greetz from Holland!

excuse my bad english

11. fubar2003

fubar2003 Member

GPU:
    Asus GF6800 (V999GE)
    Looks like you needent have the beta Encenerator. The full release is scheduled for the sixth of september :D

12. hightower

hightower Guest

FYI Encenrator, don't get your hopes high. I have a leadtek 6800LE, and I've tried to flash it with 3 different 6800 bios'es (forcing it with 4.42) and it shows up as a 6800 but from 3dmark03 scores in fillrate multitexture I can tell you it doesn't enable the 4 extra pipes.

13. Zephran

Zephran New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800LE (370/800)
    Hi,
    I am in exactly the same situation as you hightower (I have a 6800le and have tried bios flashing to 6800NU). The only differance I have seen with the 6800NU bios'es is that I could get a higher overclock with them than the standard LE bios, 400/850 instead of 370/800. It looks to me like the bios itself doesn't tell the card how many pipelines to use, so all we can do is wait for the new rivatuner to be released (or if you get to beta it...)

14. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    i havent done all the fillrate stuff, as i'm not a benchmarking person. but i have noticed that EVERYTHING is faster. its not one of those placebo things either. i have played doom 3 for a while on a 9800 pro, and i got my 6800 le and before i flashed it, it was just like my 9800. after i flashed it, it was like a whole new game. its nice.

15. hightower

hightower Guest

sure it is faster as 6800 runs with a higher mhz on the core. unless you do some 3dmark03 benchmarking, your comment is of little or no value to us. sorry. :cussing:

16. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    true that. what would you like me to do to show my stats?

17. hightower

hightower Guest

I would like you to download 3dmark03 and run it :) the best would've been if you had ran 3dmark BEFORE you flashed it, but too late... when you get your 3dmark score, click details > 'feature tests'. Check 'fill rate (multi-texturing)'. I get around 2400 mtextel/s on my standard 6800LE, about 3000 when it's running 400mhz core/850 ram. If you have 12 pipes, your score should be 4000+. There's alot of places you can download 3dmark03 from and it's free.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  18. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    okay. i am familiar with 3dmark. i'm just not a user of it. i didnt know abuot the advanced settings. i'll hook you up tonight after i get off work.

19. Cybercat

Cybercat Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    Yes, I'm sure 25MHz on the core makes all the difference... -_-

(6800LE: 300/700; 6800NU: 325/700)

20. ENCENERATOR

ENCENERATOR Guest

are you sure? thats in an couple of days, i thought it would take at least an other month or so...

great news :D

@ those guys who flashed thear 6800le, did you get a increase of 3d marks in 3d mark 03 running at the stock speads of an le?
    if so the pipelines must be working (or has a 6800nu some other advanteges?)