Pilot Error

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by orenda635, Aug 29, 2006.

1. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    This story made my day because it proves we all do silly things.

I'm sure many of you have locked yourselves out of the car or house at one time.
    Imagine your 25,000 feet above the ground and nature comes calling. This happened to an Air Canada Jazz pilot yesterday. With 20 minutes remaining in the 2.5 hour flight, he got up to use the facilities leaving the co-pilot in charge. When he went to go back to the cockpit, he noticed there was a problem, the cockpit door was either locked, or stuck. Passengers got treated to a 10 minute show which involved the pilot banging on the door and yelling to try and get it open. They eventually had to force the door off it's hinges. Passengers were in no danger as the co-pilot could have landed the plane.

Of course this has analysists worried in this 'post 9/11 world.'
    "(The pilot) can be taken hostage by someone in the plane with hostile intent," said Peter St. John, a Winnipeg-based security analyst. "There's sloppiness, there's inconsistency, and there are vulnerabilities that terrorists are going to notice, and they're going to see it and say this is easy pickings."
    Yeah right Mr St. John. I guess we now know who's really winning the war on terror. :p

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/n...=ac82a8ec-3915-48f4-ad8d-e65274b8204a&k=44392

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Why didn't the copilot hit auto pilot for a sec and open the door and umm its a bit crap if the door can be forced open, or it could be 911 all over again.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    LOL! How embarrassing.

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I think the planes should be redesigned so that the cockpit is separate from the cabin. Just put a fridge and washroom in the cockpit compartment and separate it from the cabin by a solid bulkhead. Today's planes could probably modified to do that.

The plane is only a CRJ-100. A commuter jet that seats 50. It won't do much damage to a building if a terrorist hijacked it. It's not much bigger than the plane that crashed into the Empire State Building back in 1945.
    It can't go very far so nobody is going to hijack it to go somewhere either.

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    LOL wat an idiot

lols well at least there was no real threat

6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    On frontier a319/320 they have 2 doors.
    One is opened blocking access to the front lav and cabin, so the pilot can get access.
    I don't like the solid bulkhead idea. What if snakes bite the pilot? Or if they both have the fish? ;)
    Seriously though, lotta good reasons to ahve access to the cockpit, see UA 232
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

7. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Snakes? Terror is one thing, now you believe in the stories movies tell you :nerd:

8. TerracideDK

TerracideDK Guest

Yeah...snakes are coldblooed and don't fair well in the temps on an airplane.
    A beehive getting smashed would be far worse ;)

Terra...