Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Are you talking about Eternity or Original sin?

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Playing on very hard and it's a challenge atm. Still am figuring it all out so it will be...

Almost filled my first party so hopefully things will get better.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Eternity

4. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    how on earth can it be harder than exiting the gate as level 3 and getting attacked by lvl 30 monsters?! o_O

DOS was all about stealing paintings, once you steal them all you are done. :3eyes:
    I mean, I love old school RPG but DOS, imho, was just a mess. I never got so lost and confused in old RPGs like NWN or...damn, long time...can't even remember most of them. I'm old.

Just got PoE, going to start playing it now, I hope at least it gives you some clue as where to go and where not to. I don't want it to be linear, but even in something like Gothic 1 when you see a big monster in an area you know not to go there - yet! :)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Is there any way to enabled 3840x2400 @ 1920x1200 (i.e. DSR) in this game? I can select it and the resolution shows as 4K but it is still 1920x1200.

I realise that this will not increase the graphical quality but I want to use a higher resolution and set the font scaling to 125% to get crisper text while taking up less space on the screen.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    DOS had levelled areas of the map, once you saw a map with the painted levels on it it made sense.

Idk, I personally didn't have trouble with it, I managed to follow the intended direction reasonably well and over levelled a touch so that areas above my level were ok.

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I must have spent hours rerolling in Baldurs Gate etc to get the maximum possible points to spend during the creation sequence.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The Unity Engine AA compatibility flag, 0x004000C1, works with this game as it uses DX9 for MSAA + SGSSAA, e.g. 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA using the Override option. Unfortunately, the character model in the inventory menu is untouched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  9. WildAce

WildAce Master Guru

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    Someone in the official forums wanted a Sokka and Toph portrait so i put those together quickly for those interested.

Toph
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sokka
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Zuko
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB

lol yep. I can't tell you how many times I have done the exact same thing in multiple D&D based RPG's! or to re-roll for better stats in general

11. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Maybe im wrong but i think Unity can't run full screen dx10/11 (does unity even do dx11? not sure on that)

Either you have to force dx9 through commands so it can actually run fullscreen (like Cities Skylines, if this game supports dx9 mode)
    or you run the DSR or manual downsampling res on your desktop and then boot the game (it will run at borderless windowed)

What I've tried so far and appears to work is running 3840 on desktop then going in-game and it works, at least that horrid looking chainmail armor looks.. well almost good.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, ive been messing around for 2-3 hours with settings editing etc, still haven't really done anything yet, I think im sorta still in the "tutorial-ish" bit of the game. Gonna start my proper char tomorrow, getting late now

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Alex13 - According to RTSS OSD (MSI Afterburner), Pillars of Eternity is running on DX9 only. In fact, that is why the Unity AA flag 0x004000C1 works with this game to force MSAA+SGSSAA. Since the game uses pre-rendered backgrounds with minimal effects and shaders except on the 3D rendered characters and models then there would be very little point in using DX10 or DX11 anyway.

GeForce Experience has a profile for Pillars of Eternity and on my system it shows my game resolution is set to 1920x1200 (actually in-game it shows 3840x2400!) and recommends I set 3840x2400. However, when I click Apply Optimal Settings I get an error that the settings cannot be applied. Don't know what is happening there but obvious NVIDIA are supporting 4K downsampling for this game but it is not working for me. :(

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    THIS!!! I know, old schoolers will frown upon this, also the stash... but having that inventory screen set up the way it is in PoE is a god send... Sometimes old games just had bad design and PoE group inventory is really cool.

14. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hmmm strange... It's definitely not running fullscreen however. It seems stuck on w/e the resolution of your desktop is. If ingame res is lower it looks blurry - so in-game it does upscale/stretch the image, but haven't seen any indication there's any sort of in-engine downscaling.

15. Fathom216

Fathom216 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 980 GTX 4gb
    Hey Darren, I put in all those settings in Inspector and still can't get it to work like you did in that screenshot. Could it be because I'm running Windows 10 TP?

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    I quote a post from Negaf:
    "Originally Posted by Durante

In order to manage my excitement and get ready on the technical front (so that I don't waste any time on that when the game is out) I just digged a bit through the backer beta.

To get the best image quality on the 3D rendered stuff, while maintaining the full quality of the backgrounds, I suggest this (if your hw can handle it):
    Downsample from exactly 4x the resolution (e.g. I'm using 5120x2880 on my 1440p screen).
    Since this is a Unity game, if you are using DSR you will need to set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution before launching PoE for this to actually work.
    UI will scale automatically, so there's no need to do anything regarding that.
    Your zoom limits will be messed up though: by default the game won't let you zoom closer than a 1:1 mapping of background pixels to display pixels. Since you are downsampling, every "display pixel" the game sees is actually just 1/4 of a physical pixel, so you'd like to zoom in further.
    Luckily, this is easy to fix: open the console (look up the key for that in the options) and type "setZoomRange 0.5 100". 0.5 will let you zoom in such that you get 1:1 mapping of background image pixels to real physical pixels again with 4x dowsampling.
    Additionally, you can use the command "msaa N" to enable NxMSAA, e.g. "msaa 4". It doesn't make a huge difference on top of 4x downsampling though."

Also about forcing via Inspector,too blurry image no matter if it's sssa or grid ssaa. And the worst is that forcing any kind of AA renders faulty reflections of 3d models( I was outside of the bear cave,raining but the reflections weren't due of the weather,lol). Not good choice,only downsampling (at desctop,before running the game) is the best solution so far.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Ugh think I lost some spells by accident! Carefull guys when copying over spells from another spellbook.

Up and running now and loving it! Divinity never quite did it for me but this is a real sucessor to the brilliance that was Baldurs gate!

p.s had to choose rogue over monk for last party member. damm. (have ranger/druid/priest/paladin/rogue/wizard).

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Could be. I only have Windows 8.1 Pro and it definitely works for me with that.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I will restart the game but advice me a good combo character Pls. I mean a fun to play joyride. I do now use shield and sword and it is Meh as usual.

Edit. If I use a magic guy, how many works? Auto replenish? Need mana potions?

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    You will pick up some players on the way and you can create more so dont feel too restricted in your char choices. (create more in the first in, u can have 6 max but the ones u create will stay in the inn so to speak, not sure if they get xp though).

But I went with druid as main and spec in bear so secondary tank. He can do some usefull spells as well.

Just got my first chanter in group and they are fun because u get a gun plus their spells are handy.

Need to figure out chants though..

p.s I found I needed to get a full party on very hard asap. oh and be carefull of hitting your own men with your spells. can be irritating.