Pictures & specs of the Voodoo Rampage and info about 3dfx's next gen chips!

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Dr. Vodka, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Pictures & specs of the Voodoo Rampage | Info about 3DFX's next gen chips

Dunno if this was posted before... sorry if it was. Well... after digging a bit on google, I found this. Thought I could make a nice read out of this.

The successor of the voodoo 5 6000 was the rampage. It was a real revolution compared to its predecessor.

Screenshots of the card
    http://www.nexthardware.com/news3.php?artID=588&numpag=1
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Rampage (GPU core)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    1.6Gigapixel fill rate ( core clock at 200MHZ)
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]12.8GB/sec memory bandwidth (6 ns memory)
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]32-512 MB memory support (200MHz DDR)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    4 way SLI ( 2 Rampage chips and 2 Sage (T&L) units)
    DX 8 Pixel Shader 1.0
    8 textures per-pass
    4 Pixel Pipelines
    Approximately 30 million transistors
    200+ MHz Core
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Sage (T&L unit)
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]200+ MHz Core
    50 million triangles/sec sustained
    150 million triangles/sec real world
    DX8 1.0 Vertex Shader
    Approx. 20 million transistors
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    That was what the Rampage GFX card had... If only 3dfx had survived a bit more, things could be quite a bit different nowadays

Copied from this url
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/3dfxdemise/default.asp (some screenshots of Q3A included)

Next generation parts

Daytona- 3dfx's first low-end OEM part. Daytona was effectively a VSA-100 part with a DDR memory controller and a 64-bit memory bus. The idea was to deliver a cheaper version of the VSA-100, with the 64-bit bus making a notable dent in cost. Daytona simply could not be finalized though. It would tape out and a bug would be found, then tape out again and another bug would be found. Fortunately, a chip was not made between each tape out with the final number being A7 silicon. In the end, this resulted in considerable delays and final Daytona silicon never coming to life.

Rampage (Spectre) - 3dfx's next high-end graphics part was capable of quad-chip support. Rampage silicon had come back from the fab just weeks before the announcement of 3dfx's demise. Sage, Rampage's geometry processor had recently taped out as well, so expectations were high. The first revision of Rampage silicon was able to achieve 200 MHz clock frequencies without active cooling. Originally, the expectation had been to ship it at 200 MHz, but with this capability, there was nothing limiting it from 250+ MHz clock speeds.

Of interesting note are the two bugs that did exist in Rampage silicon. The first was the DAC being flipped, reversing the color channels. It is hard to be certain how this bug managed to slip through, but it did. One possible reason it was not detected is because this was one of the few places on the chip that had not been simulated. The temporary fix was an interesting little board that was attached between the monitor cable and VGA connector. It flipped all the color channels, making it display correctly. The second bug was an AGP issue that had initially caused some problems but was corrected for bring up boards by fibbing the chips.

Next generation cores

Tantrum- A single chip combination of Rampage and Sage. Targeted at the OEM market, performance would be lower than a Rampage-Sage combination, with considerably reduced cost.

Fear- The first part based on 3dfx and Gigapixel technology. Fear actually consisted of two separate parts: Fusion and Sage II. Fusion was derived from combining 3dfx and Gigapixel technology. This was a part targeted at DirectX8-9 (though the specification was nothing near final). Being from Gigapixel, it was a deferred rendering architecture. At the time of 3dfx closing shop, Fusion was considered RTL complete and tape out was expected in March of 2001. Sage II was slightly behind Fusion, but it was making ground.

Fusion
    250+ MHz Core
    Approx 60 Million transistors
    4 pixel pipelines
    8 texture per-pass via loop back
    Deferred Rendering Architecture
    DX8-DX9 Pixel Shader

Sage2
    100 Million Triangles/sec Sustained
    300 Million Triangles/sec Theoretical
    DX8-DX9 Vertex Shader

Fearless- A single-chip Fusion-Sage2 part. Comparable to what Tantrum was to Rampage.

Mojo- The distant future of 3dfx. This was based on an entirely new generation of design. It was considered the next-generation of deferred rendering. Targeted at DX9 and higher, it had a considerably extensive feature set. With Fear's anticipated performance being such a high level, the raw performance specifications of Mojo were actually slightly lower. Mojo was a single-chip solution unlike Fear and Spectre, including the geometry processor with the pixel pipeline.

Conclusion
    Did 3dfx sell out? Perhaps. Many within the company thought so. Many fans of the company felt let down as well. Members of the board are reported to have received notable perks for the purchase of 3dfx's name and IP, with the dissolution of the company. And of course the end of an era came. Certainly it was a fun era, but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

ummmm 3DFX died................many years ago..........?

3. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Yes... but I thought people'd like to know what were 3DFX's plans for its future, when it was alive back in its time... That's the point of this thread.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If only they were still alive today, just imagine where we would be today in the graphic world.

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    well said its a shame they dont exsist any more it would be interesting to see what gpus would be around

6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Actually one of the problems with the 3dfx downfall was trying to slap together the VSA-100 and not putting everything into Rampage development.

It would be a totally different world if 3dfx was still around.

7. aircool

GPU:
    nvidia bought out 3DFX right? thats why nvidia has "SLI"

8. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

nvidia SLI is not 3dFX sli

they are built on the same prinicible but use different methods to render the screen.

9. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    They are, in a way. I remember them whenever I see how much better nVidia is at OpenGL rendering (they got it from 3dfx).

10. dwax

dwax Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950 & VF90
    Just have to wonder where they would be now on top of the food chain tho.I miss the games that were developed in the Glide API. I still have a PC that is totaly 3dfx 1.4Ghz thunderbird and a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP I dont always run it,but it's still fun to hook up and play all the old games.And if my Voodoo 5 bites the dust I have several to back it up LOL along with 4 Voodoo 4 and The Voodoo 3 generation. I saw them on a web site,and it was to good of a deal to pass up! :)

11. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

im gunna put together a 1.0 duron system with SLI Voodoo2 just to run Uprising 2 at full graphics :D

that and the current one doesn't do resource sharing very well...tyiran keeps crashing out.. but that could be coz i ghetto modded an xbox gf3 heatsink to the cpu hahahaha

12. aircool

GPU:
    one good thing would be that there more releases of GPUS more often

13. Eric1987

Eric1987 Banned

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    More video cards? We dont need them we need the CPU's to catch the video cards first!!

14. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I miss 3dfx...=/

15. aircool

GPU:
    they were good until they fell behind to severly