PhysX on Crossfire Mobo???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Aznthug186, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Aznthug186

Aznthug186 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Hey guys I just received my 295 GTX, and Im wondering if I can get another Nvidia card just for the Physx on my Crossfire mobo? Or I need to buy a SLI mobo to work?

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    You can not run two NVIDIA cards on a Crossfire board; I am also running the 295 on a CF board, but you are limited to one. However you don't need two 295's (or an additional NVIDIA card) to run PhysX, one 295 can easily handle running any game + PhysX. These cards actually shine most when you max out everything possible @1920x1200+

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Should work fine, worked for me on my previous Nvidia card and my old mobo was CrossfireX.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see why you couldn't? I tried my one my 8800GTX's with my 4870x2 in my rampage and I could set it up as a PhysX card.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    You are able to run one of each, but he is talking about running two NVIDIA cards together which would be SLI. That isn't possible on a Crossfire board, unless that is different just running for PhysX, but it seems like it would be SLI.

I could be wrong, but that is what I've read/seen.

6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    He wants to run a 2nd Nvidia card strictly for PhysX, which will work. He was asking if he'd need an SLI motherboard, not run the cards in SLI.

7. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    You can definitely run 1 nvidia gpu for graphics and one for physx on a crossfire motherboard.

8. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I read something about there being a way to do it, since the second card is picked up as physx only. Here's a thread about it, maybe you can check with one of the to see if they got it to work.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=285424

I thought about looking into this, but after getting my 295 yesterday and playing Mirror's Edge (1920x 1200 and 4xAA) and a few other things I really didn't see the need for it.

The only issue I've had was getting a BSOD after playing for about and hour. I was using 181.20 and installed the 185.20 betas and then the physx drivers over the old ones. I have not had any issues since.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Running PhysX has nothing to do with SLI, so yeah he can get another card for PhysX and it will and should work.

10. Aznthug186

Aznthug186 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Thanks for the info it really helps alot, I got my old 8800 Ultra out of my dust box and slot it in and enable 2nd GPU as a active Physx. It actually runs real good in Mirrors edge is like 12 fps increase better than nothing. I thought my 8800 Ultra is gonna be sitting in the dark box, now another Nvidia Card being useful.

My friend is now asking . .

He have 7 series Nvidia card will it work with Physx and currently he is using 285 GTX. He wondering if it will work the same way like I go for my 295 GTX and 8800Ultra ???

11. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    A 7 series card will not work, it has to be 8 series or higher.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Still makes no sense to run an 8800 Ultra in the case with a GTX 295 (can you say power usage?) considering how much available power the 295 has. It can easily run all eye candy @ highest res + PhysX and never hiccup once. I mean you basically have SLI GTX 285's slightly dialed down, would you add a third card if you had 2x 285's?

Think about the additional heat output you are getting from that huge G80, not to mention a lot of Ultras broke records for heat output. None of it is worth it in my opinion, especially when you have a world class beast like the 295 in your case. There is nothing the card can't handle.