PhysX by NVIDIA article @ Guru3D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Asked yesterday by some users, from NVIDIA:

Q - Will there be an option to run SLI with two cards, and use a 3rd card for PhysX ?

A - Yes, that will be possible for sure. We need to add functionality into the driver in order to support such configs, but it’s already underways

2. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC

yay may order 3rd 8800gt.... oops all ready have :)

3. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    so just asking... i might as well take my ageia physx card out of my pc now ??? as replaced with 8800gt

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yah, still hoping to get an answer of ATI Main card + Nvidia 2nd card for GPU PhysX, that is if its possible.

Also, if you use an 9600GT vs 9800 GT for 2nd card physics will you see much of a performance difference?

5. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    Would love to see some benchmark of using a 8600GT as a ppu vs using a 9600GT as a ppu. To see if 8600 cards are good enough to run physix with out any draw back.

6. domen

domen Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4890
    I'd also like to know that, please.

7. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    wow, this is all very exciting! i might just have to through my second GTS back in :)

8. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    YESS!!!! Thanks Hilbert!!!!!

9. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Hey, but I can still do 2 GTX260's SLI and one 8800GTS G80 core as a physX card right? or I have to get anther GTX260 for that to be possible?

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yes u can do that

11. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon 7870 2gb
    hehe, i read the article and got the same question about ati as main and nvidia as physx. Logically it should work.... problem may occur with drivers, lets hope a guy comes by who has hardware to test it :p.

12. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    This is very exciting news but I don't know how it will be sold by nVidia in the near future.

From what I understand, only games that are designed to use Physics and/or the new CUDA will take advantage of the new technology. We still have to see how many games will use this new tech considering it's a small(er) market since ATI cards won't work with CUDA.

Of course in the mid term future more and more games will come out with the possibility to use GPU physics but I don't see it becoming mainstream untill we have an industry standard. IMO ATI was/is being whise as to focus physics operations on the new DX11. This should be a standard and, if so, ATI will be better prepared to deal with it when the time comes.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  14. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Not to be rude or anything but most of that list is bs. Either they mention stupid games no one ever heard of or ureleased games. Only a few really count. Only one question though: how in hell does Age of Empres 3 benefit from Physics?

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Havn't you ever seen Age of Empire 3? it has a quite a bit of phsyx lol, and i didn't post that to say look at all these great games coming out with phsyx, i posted as in, look, more games are adapting it, despite if they are unheard of or not

16. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Age of Empires 3 actually uses quite a bit of physics, destructible environments(trees ect) cannons, building destruction. Damage done to buildings isnt animated but in fact physica, so parts actually get blasted off here and there and fall via physics to the ground.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    they could probably market a pci x1 card thats just stream processors without gpu perhaps? might be a cost effective way for some if posible, plus not everyone has more than 1 pci 16x slot