PhysX by Ageia

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamesbhevans, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900 GT - Dell 2005fpw LCD
    Anyone beside me just over exited about this new relam of PC gaming hardware.
    If you are not up to date here is a link and you can google it also http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm. This will Take a huge load off the proc. and stop games from laggin when there is much going on in the game.

2. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    This topic is already in discussion in the forum. Look out for the thread: 'The future of Graphics' in the same.;)

3. -=Fallscrim=-

-=Fallscrim=- Member Guru

GPU:
    3D Fuzion 7600GT@610/1620
    Aren't they PCI-Express though? Kind of forces a straight up decision between gfx card or physics card.

Have seen some of the demo's and the possiblities look awesome, but tbh I'm more interested to see how much having one will improve framerates/decrese CPU load.

Any idea how much they're gonna retail for? I've heard whispers of the £200 mark.

4. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    ive watched both the nvidia nad ati videos and tbh i'm not going to spend £200 to throw rocks at a dinosaur or make a virtual table.

id have to see a game with and without the physics card to see the benefit, and right now i cant find that direct comparison

5. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
    No, They run off a PCI 2.0 slot

6. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
    I watched a video with and without and its a huge improvment. Let me find that video again and I'll post a link.

7. gold_heart007

GPU:
    Physx processor add extent of realms and unbelievable graphics effects to the games.And yes it is true, the latest offering from AGEIA is around 200 bucks!!!
    Damn costly, but who cares if the juice is worth squeezing!!;)

8. gold_heart007

GPU:
    It requires GPU and another PCI E slot for PhysX processor!!

9. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
  10. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    its a shame the card looks so crappy, i dont know exactly what i'm expecting but i want something that looks cool for all that money.

11. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    To be honest i hope the physics card crap goes down the same way 3d glasses went, i for one am f*cked off at paying the prices for graphics cards nevermind a physics card that will need updating with your graphics card and sound card, its a money making scam, you could offer everything this physics cards offering on a 6600GT so they can suck me off if they think im buying into this.

12. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
    I have read somethings about Nvidia intergrating this in with current sli rigs using one of the cards through software to act as a physx engine. Although why would you pay 700.00 for a sli rig and have one act as 200.00 phys card. I do like the hardware and think its cool as h*ll.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Whats wrong with 200-275 when you pay 400-600 for another card to do crossfire and sli.

I rather have the ppu card for 275 then paying 400-600 for another card to run in SLI and crossfire and only to have it do the phsyic in software.
    Wheres the PPU card will do it in hardware.

It will do fine when it comes out because i pretty sure people do not want to have there sec video card which they paid 300-600 for be running in software phsyic mode instead of graphics mode.

I know I wouldnt. I seen those videos software wouldnt do that in playable frames no matter what the video card is.

We need that phsyic card, it will take the load of the physic off the cpu. If you really thing havocX and software is gonna do of that then your dreaming.

If they could then we wouldnt have 3d accelators because then people would be playing the games in software mode with there cpus.

Dual core cpus isnt gonna let them do all of that either , its time to wake up this isnt the old days where 3d accelerators didnt exist.

If you dont mind payign 300+ for your other video card to only have it do the phsyic in software then do it, Me on the other hand I not going SLI as planned I getting me one of those PPU cards. I see 275 a whole like cheaper then 300-600 on something like another 7800GT/7900GT and X1800XT and X1900 in SLI and CF mode.

14. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
  15. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    BS cant you see its a big con, i single 6600GT can handle all the physics you throw at it as long as its written in the game and coded correctly for graphics cards.

so your saying a single card couldnt do whats being shown in the vid that james posted? and the only way to get graphics and effects like that to own one of these physics cards? absoloute nonsense.

and on a funnier side, i cant wait for all these great games that are going to come out, FarCry the physics version, its the same as the original farcry only with 60'000 boxes and tyres all stacked up for you to blow up. cos i dont know but there must f*cking thousands of crates and tyres on those deserted islands.

16. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    Ive just had another thought (good day for me)

how supported is this physics gonna be really, because like it or not most companies make there games targeted to the console owners nowadays, no console will have a seperate physics chip, so i personally cant see companies going all out when the larger sales wil be on X360 and PS3

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    no it cant , your Bsing if you think a single 6600GT can do all of that ,that was shown in those video wake up.

The only person here that is Bsing is you. there already shown that software physic can never do that. when they tested the PPU card doing it in hardware vs the intel P4 doing it in software.

The cpu does the phsyic work. the video card only renders it. So theres no way in hell that a 6600GT left alone a single card can do it.

stop dreaming and wake up. IT isnt a con it really doing what it showying.

Its nay sayers like your self who do not want to wake up out of the dream world and accept the facts that been shown.

Would you like it if people went that it was BS that hardware acceration cards was needed and that never took off , we would be using slowmo software mode in games today and games would have never look the way there are now today.

throw some water on your eyes and wake up. IF they even tried that in software mode it would be slow frames. unless you really want to have like 10-20 fps on your 6600GT with those same ammout of things going on in that cell factor video. It would be slow mo without the ppu during the phsyic.

take Garrys HL2 mod for a example, Spawn lot of those dumpers it will start to get slow and low frames with them moving off each other. Then try to do the same that they was doing in the cell factor video bit om HL2 style it would be going super slow no matter what.

That is no where near the ammout of stuff that was flying all around and doing its own thing and so forth , thats why we need phsic cards. Unless you want the games to be the same as there are, and the walls dont fall down when you run smack into them with a tank. Those PPU cards will aloud for game markers to really put all in what they really want to do into there games. Without worrying about slowing the game down with all of those phsyic that going on.

I am for the ppu cards, I dont see why you are not and going its a con when it clearly isnt. but hey I guess you dont mind spending 300+ on another video card so it will run in havocX software Phsyic mode instead of graphics rendoring.

18. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    right im downloading a couple of them vids now, i'll pass more judgement when ive seen it doen in hardware, as i wasnt at all impresed with the gpu solution

19. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    actually come to think of it who are ageia and why should we listen to what one company decides is what everyone must have..

20. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    1, i only run 1 card

2, if the game is coded for a tank to hit a wall and make it fall down in lets say BF2 then the f*cking wall will fall down
    3, i dont have the money to go out and buy another card just so i can play a game, its a hobby not a necessity.

4, if it was coded by Nvidia or ATI then it would run on a normal graphics card, but these vid clips are of coding by the physics card manufactor so its bound to show you how crap your game would look without it, now you go throw water in your eyes and wake up you naive little monkey.

5 Crates crates crates crates tyres tyres crates boxes boxes cubes cubes more tyres = boring.

6 GenClaymore works for Ageia.

7 You heard it here Ageia cards will sink like a stone.