PhysX Box Demo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LedHed, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    mmmhmm.... i think you're going to be waiting a LONG time until PPU's drop to $50. either that, or you're gonna wind up buying one that's several years old to get yourself one for $50.

LedHed... we can take the same approach to what you say. don't worry about LedHed..... he's just someone that doubts something that he hasn't actually played with, and hasn't seen in action, even in these first games that actually support it, and calls everyone a fanboy if they believe otherwise. i'm also disagreeing with you LedHed..... as i have shown you... i too have a PPU, and i too belive that it's..... well..... not extremely worth the money at this very moment, but still worth it to see what it can do in this first demo. If you actually took the time to look into it more.... you would see that it does add effects to CellFactor that you can't get without it. Hell..... you think that your precious dual core CPU can do what the PPU can do..... and even cost_p flat out denies it.... and he doesn't even have a PPU!

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. soulonfire11

soulonfire11 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT
    yea but Windows 2000 was like the beta of XP. who cares about physics in a video game. WHO CARES! Psh if the laws of physics worked in video games, they would suck.

3. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    You sir, are not a real guru. AN IMPOSTER I SAY!!!!!!

4. soulonfire11

soulonfire11 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT
    i dont care what i am. ill just call myself cheap

5. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    So I guess this debate is over (for me anyway).
    Most of us here either think the PPU (be it GPU based or an Agiea type offering) is a good thing. Some have already bought into it while others are just waiting for support and the tech to mature to a level where it will make a difference in gameplay and/or the price goes down. Some also stated that they are waiting for dual core CPU's to take hold and see if they are actually capable of doing what the PPU's are offering.

The rest think the supporters are "fan boys" and won the debate by attacking individuals and not the issue. Congradulations guys!! I think we can all learn from these people. :rolleyes:
    Thanks to those, with the intelligent arguments, for the wonderful debate and a chance to see things from all the angles. I actually learned a few things from this thread.
    Cheers.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    PLease lock this thread!!!!!!!!

7. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Active Member

GPU:
    x800np (r430) 460/585
    Most? Is that 3, or 4? No wonder these forums are so damn active...

Be alone on thinking that. Games have had physics for some time, one way of optimising for dual core is moving things like physics, sound, ai, on to the second core. This wouldn't be as good as true multithreading, but it is still optimising for dual core processors.

If in 6 months this thing does take off properly, has a reasonable amount of games for it, and has a nice price drop then I'll seriously consider buying it.

8. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    That's the point I believe I was making. You are in the "it's a good idea if..." catagory. I guess that's 5 people now. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    you guys realize that if a PPU is doing all the physics calculations, than the CPU needs to process the extra information, so more CPU usage, less FPS. Also the GPU must render the extra objects, debris, explosions, etc, that are created by the PPU so that adds more FPS loss. In conclusion, a PPU will slow down a game FPS wise because the extra physics effects must be porcessed by the GPU, which adds more rendering! and the CPU must take that into consideration when doing AI scripting and other stuff. so, that triangle Ageia showed u is, sorry to say, BS!

10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well, serious advances in game tech never come without a little loss.

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    thats not true my firend!!!

tested on my friends comp, with cellfactor

With the PPU - average 70%cpu usage
    Without PPU - average 100%cpu usage

12. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    There is more to physics engines than just extra stuff on the screen. While it is true that is one of the uses for a physics engine, it is not the only one. Liquid dynamics, cloth dynamics, geometry collision, soft body dynamics, and so forth. It is not just to see extra stuff flying though the air. It is more about how the stuff, that is (can be) already rendered by the GPU, interacts with the eviroment. A dedicated PPU, no matter the form it is impamented in, can have an effect on just one object in a sceene and make a difference in game play and CPU performance.
    They use the "debris" to show it off because it is the one that most people will undersatand and notice. If it made no visual impact right now and only lowered the use of the CPU there would be 1 million people saying that can't see a difference and that the PPU is a waste of money. Not that they havn't already even though there is clear visual differences.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Sprecker where do you get all this info from what is it based on? Do you have a computer engineering degree or what?

14. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    It's called common sence. What do you think a physics engine does? Just make things fly around? It's easy to read up on such things if you want to learn them. It just takes some common sence to filter out the BS from the fact. What about you? Where have you been geting your info? Do you have a degree in computer engineering and/or programming?

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I have a degree in the English studies and can confidently tell you that "sence" is not how you spell that word.

16. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    and speaking of tearable cloth, didn't BloodRayne had those tearable nazi flags?

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ..... haven't played BloodRayne.... but were said cloths actually able to be shot at causing them to fray, have stuff thrown through them, causing holes about the size of the object thrown through it..... shot out so that a piece of the flag flutters to the ground... etc...?

Saiyanora: [sarcasm]uuh... yeah.... physics have been around for SUCH a long time in games[/sarcasm] what were we limited to in physics before, say even in HL2... the game that still has what many believe to be the best physics engine around before now? ragdoll and moving props. no liquid dynamics (blood that actually flows.... water that actually moves like water....), no hardware generated smoke that would move when you drive through it....

So far the only thing i noticed hardware wise with the PPU is my video cards now run a tad hotter. no excessive CPU usage.... no poor graphics quality/performance.... then again it only is active for currently one game that i mess with (CellFactor). and that crap about there being more strain on the GPU is exactly that.... crap. if that were the case, then "Physics on GPU" would be even more pointless. then you'd have the same card processing both graphics AND physics..... sharing the same memory.

18. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Sweet!!! :rolleyes: I know it's spelled sense. I just can't bring myself to ever spell it that way. It also appears you have a degree in "discrediting opinioins by pointing out grammaticle errors". That must come in handy in conversation.

ElementalDragon:

Have you tried out this yet?

PhysX wall demo It can be used to comapre what kind of frame increase you get with the PPU comared to without. A guy in another thread showed me and said with his X2 4*00 he only got 1fps and that with a PPU someone got 15fps. I havn't tried it yet so I can't for sure say it's true or not.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I already told you my major is Mechanical Engineering.

20. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    That's cool.
    Try this demo out it's the Box demo you should be running. It can be run wiht or with out a PPU and it will bring your system to it's knees. PhysX wall demo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.