PhysX Box Demo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LedHed, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabelo

nabelo Member

How ?

Hi,

can you just tell us what shortcut options u use to run the Demo without the Card ? Would be nice to know.

Greetz
    nabelo

2. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Active Member

GPU:
    x800np (r430) 460/585
    I think its -no physx but I am probably wrong. It's on HardOcp forums for sure (were I saw it), and probably eslewhere.

3. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I don't understand this discussion anymore.
    Why must you insist on this theory using the box demo. The box demo does not show you anything. Only a test to see if the drivers are working and certainly not that the CPU can do what a PPU can. Think of it as you would the Dxdiag.exe test. Those 3D tests work the same for on-board graphics or dedicated add-in card. It does not mean the on-board is as powerful as the add-in now does it? I didn't think so.
    How you ever got this idea in your head is beyond me.
    I don't mean to center you out but come-on. You have been milling over this for the better part of 2 weeks now. It's time to move on or atleast get some new arguments to back you up.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If you are right and I am wrong how come noone has these cardss if they are so great and game ground breaking?

5. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Support from them is futile. They just got released, hardly anything supports them and driver support needs to mature.
    Wait a couple of months and I'm postive the true potential will be unleashed, etc.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    but Im guessing by Sprecker's attitude towards the box demo that he scores lower FPS than I do which makes me laugh haha

7. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Your still talking about the box demo? And the problem is probably drivers.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    why wouldnt I talk about the box demo? Ageia included it in the drivers as a "PhysX Demonstration" so Im pretty sure they meant for it to show off the card not just be some random ass thing they put into their software.

9. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I thought that when I first played it....
    But they probably placed it there just to make the PPU was installed/working correctly.

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    How can you tell if its working correctly if I avg over 200fps now (after overclocking) without the card even installed?

(Something funny I noticed is if you go to google and type in "PhysX Box Demo" this thread is the first thing to pop up)

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I just can't take evilkiller seriously with that picture in his sig. Looks like this kid I used to beat up in junior high.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    "Considering the fact that this benchmark was created by Ageia as a technology demo to showcase the performance of their PhysX hardware, it is no surprise to see that the discrete PPU is able to best the software-driven efforts of the CPU. Although each configuration shares the same maximum framerate, there is a considerable gap in performance for both the average and minimum framerates. Without any detailed knowledge into the structure of this demo, we must be somewhat cautious in drawing any conclusions regarding the performance advantage the PPU might have over a CPU."

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=4&articleid=816&cid=2

I wish they had tested a dual core CPU with that card in that test.

"Looking at the animated comparison illustrated in the image above, we can quickly see the results of using the BFG PhysX card in this title. Unfortunately, the differences are less than earth shattering as there is nothing more than some added debris. This additional debris looks exactly the same regardless of the material being destroyed and appears to be using the same model just at different angles and viewpoints. Granted, it does increase the level of realism in the game as objects are destroyed in a much more convincing manner. However, we are certainly not seeing justification of a $250 or more purchase.

We witness the same scenario when we shoot a few grenades at the upper floors of a building. This view gives us an excellent perspective on the differences in debris between the scene rendered with and without the BFG PhysX card. Again, we do prefer the increase in realism when using the PhysX processor versus the lack of debris when the card is not present. However, we are firmly convinced that this higher level of physics would be entirely possible on either a dual-core or fast single-core processor. For one reason or another, the higher physics setting can only be activated when the PhysX PPU is installed and detected."

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=816&cid=2

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  13. soulonfire11

soulonfire11 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT
    $300 is not worth seeing paper and buckets fly

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The ppu is worthless at this point in time. No doubt about it.

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    you guys are raving that ur "dual cores" can run the game with the shortcut mod

but have u ever wondered why you dont get those dynamic effects!!!
    its running the game in software mode!!!
    ie The game is trying to run, of your cpu!!

todays cpus will never be able to sustaine a resonable frame rate with dynamic water, unless we havea dedicated cpu.......oh wait we do!!!

i agree its not worth 300$ (at the moment)

also cellfactor is a DEMO!!!!!!!!! of course its gona have bugs
    all you people can rave about running it on ur computers, but you will never get those effects and you will have to live with 30 fps-1fps

also bit of research ive been doing on diff computers

6600gt - 25fps walking around - 5-20fps explosions
    7800gt - 30fps walking around - 5-18fps explosions

same settings, same cpu sam ram!!!!

if im correct, the cpu cant keep up ????
    correct me if im wrong :p which im not
    and this is running not even anywhere near the amounts of polygons and verts , compared to when u have a physx card.
    if this is wata cpu runs like with out advanced physics (all u guys have is boxes and spheres moving) like water, fluids, cloth and others, i bet if could enable theses effects with even a FX-60 overclocked to 3.2ghz, you would only get 1-10fps

ahh got most of it of my chest lol
    heaps more to come if needed lol

16. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I don't see why the argument is so heated. Games do not yet fully support the PhysX cards, and neither do they fully take use of dual-core procs! This argument cannot ever be productive or come to an 'end' until either piece of hardware is actually used properly and to their fullest potential!

You couldn't convice me to get either a dual-core proc or a PhysX card at the moment, since they are both 1st gen, and not fully productive on our software. I just don't see the sense of buying hardware the software won't use properly. That'd be like buying windows Vista on the 1st day it comes out. Good luck finding any drivers unless you've bought a whole new computer.

Also, the box test?

Even my [single core/no PhysX card] computer blows it away. It's really not a good physics test by any standard, especially for the next-gen hardware that is being argued about

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Yea and your single core CPU is 3.6ghz...

Dual Core CPU's under no circumstance fall in the same category as this PCI PPU. Games use the Dual Cores (maybe not fully in some but does anything use even AGP bandwidth fully?) as does almost every application on your CPU (especially Nero 7 :)). Also having a dual core anything the computer is doing besides your game will be dumped off to the 2nd core. Meaning you can burn CD's, encode audio and play games all at the same time with almost 0 performance lost. Nothing uses this PPU (aside from a demo and GRAW which people couldnt even tell that the PPU was changing anything) so I don’t see your comparison between the two..?

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    @roguesniper Ahh, some actual real testing going on. Good work.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  19. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I see your point LedHed, but games are not yet made for dual core processors, just like when SM3.0 first came out. Think back to those first few apps that used it, like Splinter Cell and 3DMARK05. They supported/used SM3, but just barely, using only a few instructions to make it faster.
    This is the way I see dual core procs right now [aside from your point of multitasking]; just a little faster. An example is Oblivion. A Pentium D 2x3.2Ghz and my proc run the game at about the same speed. Same thing with the PhysX card and GRAW. After watching the two comparision videos, I threw my head back and laughed.
    I'm not saying either piece of hardware is bad, but the software, imho, isn't far enough.

Now I do agree with what you had to say about dual-cores giving the multitasking advantage, and PhysX doing no such thing, but it was kind of unrelated to my post.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    seriously, LedHed..... quit with the stupid freaking box demo for trying to prove your point that PhysX is useless. in that demo, you have no complex textures, no HDR lighting, no smoke, no debris, very simple models, no scenery, no fluid dynamics, none of those boxes break apart causing more physics calculations..... it's just to give you an idea of what PhysX can do.... physics-wise..... without having a PPU installed. it's just a software demo. if i could figure out why i can't encode the video i recorded in FRAPS to DivX to reduce it's size (currently like 115MB for a video less than a minute long), you'd see a rather large explosion in cell factor with props flying everywhere, plus the huge flag being shot at, causing it to tear apart, and fall apart.

If you really want to see a freakin screenshot of that damn demo..... running with a PPU, at it's actual FPS..... tell me how the hell you unlock it's max FPS.... because mine doesn't move from 60..... no higher, no lower.

and if YOU want to test and see if your precious dual core CPU can do everything a PPU can do..... why don't you test this little theory. see if you can get the detail high enough that you are able to see the flag, and tear it to shreds (which i doubt will be possible since i don't think you can get the graphics quality up that high without the PPU). When you shoot those explosive barrels (the ones with the biohazard logo, not the ones with the purple light that draws stuff to it before exploding), just shooting it once causes all the liquid to drain from it slowly, then after it drains, you can shoot it to pieces and it won't explode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.