PhysX Box Demo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LedHed, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Me, a fanboy? I don't have one nor planning on getting one anytime soon. I just think it has some potential later on in the future.

EDIT:

Or if the price greatly drops!

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  2. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I'm not getting one anytime soon. $300? pffft.

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    there's a storm brewing here i think

you uys need to chil out , just accept that people have different views on it and leave it a that

yes the physX has potential , but its to early in its life cycle to predict wot its really capable of

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i don't really give a rats a** if you call me a fanboy for this or not..... not like i freakin know you in real life or anything.

LedHed: it's not like Ageia said 2 months ago "Hey, let's release a PPU!!" and here it is. it's been in the works for at LEAST a year and a half..... possibly two. it originally was supposed to be out around the holidays.... apparently they had something else to work out. you WILL need the physics card to run games to get the effects. look at Crysis... you think you'll be able to get the same movements of the leaves of the plants as you walk through them without the PPU and without getting one huge drop in FPS? maybe you can.... but for that you might have to spend a LOT more than $300. like i said.... i mess around in the CellFactor demo.... i don't have a PPU..... i don't have any of the liquid dynamics, cloth (to test the tearing and holes and stuff), or any of that crap enabled, and it still runs like crap compared to any other game i've played on my computer (cept for Tomb Raider: Legend with NexGen effects enabled.... which i'ma have to try again soon since i didn't try that with SLI). seriously..... get your head out of your ass about the demo being able to be played without the PPU..... we all know it can.... but you don't get the full effect of the PPU.

5. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Turn the textures off. I don't care what the game looks kike. Your claiming something that is ubnrelated to the graphics card and are unwilling to prove it.

Your calling people names and that is offencive. I didn't say I was offended. I could care less about how my computer makes you feel.
    I repeat: Turn the textures off. I never once said anything about the graphics of the game. All I am asking is for you to back your word up with more than name calling and out dated arguments. If you can't do this then concede.

SO why are you stating that one doesn't need it if you have no idea? I think you should reread what you've been saying here.

Your CPU hasn't done what the PPU has done and you are yet to prove that it can. Why you keep claiming this and refusing to comply with the challenge set forth by me is beyond comprehention.

Because that's what they designed it to do. Why are you not even trying to make sence anymore?? I'm starting to feel really bad for you right now.

When did they ever say that they made duel core CPU's to do physic calculations? Where do you get your info? What's with the name calling? Step up to the challenge and put me out of my missery.
    Never mind. I just realised you're only 18. Your right. I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I’m done with this I’m not going to argue with someone who says something like that on the internet. I have no reason to defend my intelligence or my age with you, I do that enough along side my fellow class mates in my major (Mechanical Engineering at NC State). I also already showed my computer will run your precious game..but I am done with this. Thanks for ruining a thread that had nothing to do with defending your $300.00 waste of money. It was simply to see what people got when running the test with no PPU..So thank ya buddy.

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I think there is a future for the ppu if enough people support the damn thing. People aren't gonna support it though if there isn't very many games that take advantage of it. hmmmm, could be a problem. Who's gonna take the first step? The dev's or the consumers? I think it has a tough road ahead. I hope it succeeds though, cause advanced physics is the future I think. Crysis is a perfect example of that, EVERYTHING in that game has AI. The friggin trees in crysis have a higher I.Q. than the tree frogs sitting in them.

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    A wise man on another forum I visit once said "Just because you're old doesn't give you any special privileges....just remember...OLD people were once YOUNG pain-in-the-butts."

What LedHead is trying to show is that the PPU, and there are a couple reviews to back this up, is really nothing than an over glorified eye candy accelerator. The only reason graphics cards and sound boards came out was because CPUs were uncapable of creating that stuff on their own without serious performance hits. However, modern dual core CPUs and even older single core CPUs are perfectly capable of handling complex physics calculations with no hit on frame rate. The PhysX makes things look more realistic but that's about it. It doesn't take much of a load off the CPU as frame rates have been shown to go down when the PhysX is in use. I'm not disputing that this kind of technology will someday be useful but the first generation PPU is just not showing its worth. An Athlon64 X2 3800 and a Pentium D 940, both quality, high end CPUs, sell for less than than the PhysX and will be far more useful.

9. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I wasn't attacking his age. I was simply implying that there is no use arguing to someone that is unwilling to listen and replying with name calling. His unwillingness to budge comes from his insecure age and no matter how much proof you throw at him his answer remains the same. I know, I was the same way at that age as was everyone. I just gave him what he wanted to hear.

I understand fully what the argument set here is about. BUT the points that are being made are not being backed up. The slowdowns reported have already be FIXED so that argument is no longer valid. The statment about duel core CPU doing what the PPU w/a duel core can do is also moot because no one can prove it. Now if there is some one here willing to debate with a sence of dignity ie. back up your statments with more than "GRAW shows slow downs when the PPU is enabled *link* and I can run the Cell Factor Demo with the same FPS as the guy w/ the PPU. So what if none of the complex stuff is rendered. It's the same because who needs the compex stuff anyway. Blah blah blah" I will be more than willing to listen to what you have to say. Seriously it's just too hard to have a reasonable debate when you're bombarded with this kind of closed minded thinking.
    It sounds like I'm being a bit rash and I guess I am. I appologise. I just can't believe poeple try to debate this and not even try to be reasonable about it. I mean some of you make me think I'm describing colour to a blind man. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
    Everything that needs to be said about this debate has been said. I am willing to stand down if anyone here can prove that a dual core CPU can run the dynamic physics as well as a CPU+PPU. If no one here can then whats there to debate??? Oh and speculation is not proof it's speculation.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    How do I turn on that flag? I was trying but I could never get it to show up. I ran bots and all with 30-40fps avg but I could never get the darn flag to show up. Do I have to run high graphics?

BTW when did I call you a name; besides calling you a fanboy? Which you are "EVGA 7800gt 256mb + BFG PhysX 128mb" or at least you seem to act like it.

11. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I have no idea how to turn the flag on or any of the other dynamic physic things. It has nothing to do with the "graphics" setting. It has something to do with the Ageia engine. Maybe a google search will turn something up. I am really interested in the out come of the test. More for me to just feel good about my purchase cause it would suck if it ran better on just a dual core. I really don't think that's the case though.
    I noticed in one of your posts you showed your CPU usage. IN the pic there are these huge spikes. Do you know the max load the demo was taking out of you CPU? It looked like it was in 75-80% range or even higher at some points. This demo seems to be pretty demanding even with out the dynamic stuff.

I don't know you or how you were raised. Calling someone a "fanboy" for pointing out the error in a statment made is name calling and it is not a way of starting a debate on the right foot. Also by placing the BFG PhysX card in my profile also doesn't mean I am a "fanboy". It is there to show people what I have in my PC incase they have questions or if I have a problem and ask for help. It makes the poeple helping have a better idea of what they are dealing with just like every other peice you put in the profile.
    I mean no offence to you when I debate what you say. As I took no offence from you when you gave the link about the GRAW slow downs. Questioning things is what we are supposed to do.
    I am willing to forgive and forget and continue this together to prove exactly what the PPU's value in this demo is. I would do it myself but I don't have a duel core CPU. Do we have an agreemnet. I'll look into a way of getting the fluid/cloth stuff to work with out the PPU.

I found this link at the [H]forums. This guy posted some videos showing off the Cell Factor demo.
    He used this setup:
    Opteron 180,
    2x1GB Mushkin XP4000 Redline,
    Asus A8R32-MVP
    X1900XTX
    BFG PhysX PPU
    X-Fi Extreme Music
    150GB Raptor
    FSP 700W PSU
    Lian-Li PC-777B
    Dell 3007 WFP
    Creative Gigaworks S750.
    Linky

Here is a link to the same forum with some pics with the stats on showing the FPS and some other things:
    linky

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    seriously.... "OOH, you're a fanboy because you put your physx card in your profile!!!!11!1" that's like saying i'm a fanboy of AMD, Nvidia, Asus, Ultra, XGBox, Creative, Samsung, eVGA, etc... just cause i have all those in my profile.

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    ^ great response Elemental

**If you have nothing to add to this thread then stay out of it

14. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    My only question is this. If this piece of hardware is so bad why do developers keep signing on to support it??

Publishers

Akella
    Atari
    Aspyr Media
    Buka Entertainment
    Game Factory Interactive
    HD Publishing B.V.
    Microsoft Game Studios - XNA Studio, Xbox 360
    Midway Home Entertainment
    NCSoft Corporation
    Noviy Disk
    SEGA
    Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation 3
    Take-Two Interactive Software
    Ubisoft Entertainment

Developers & Games

Akella - Captain Blood
    Airtight Games
    Abyss Lights Studio - Abyss Lights: Frozen Systems
    Artificial Studios - Monster Madness
    ASCARON Entertainment - Sacred II (and other next-generation titles)
    Atari - Dragonshard
    Atomic Elbow - Switchball
    Big Huge Games - Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends
    - Click here for demo
    Black Element Software - Alpha Prime
    Boanerges Studios
    Bongfish Interactive Entertainment - Stoked Rider featuring Tommy Brunner
    - Click here for demo mirrors
    ChessBase - FRITZ 9 (and other upcoming titles)
    Composite Studios - Ancient Galaxy
    Crazy House - Tank Killer
    Cryptic Studios - City Of Villains (and other next-generation titles)
    - PhysX hardware support in a patch
    Cyanide Studios - Loki
    Destineer Studios
    DiezelPower Studios - Dogtag
    DIOsoft - Pirates of the XXI Century
    EGN Interactive
    Epic Games - Unreal Tournament 2007
    - Will have PhysX hardware support (supposedly some levels require PhysX hardware)
    FAKT Software - Crazy Machines II
    FAKT Software - Gunship Apocalypse
    Frantic Games - 1944: D-Day
    Frogwares Game Development Studio
    Futuremark Corporation - 3DMark06
    Gaijin Entertainment
    Game Consulting - Arena Online
    GRIN - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    - Click here for demo mirrors
    GungHo Online Entertainment - Rondo Projects
    Icarus Studios - Fallen Earth
    IceHill - Empire Above All
    Illusion Softworks
    Immersion Games - CellFactor: Combat Training
    - PhysX hardware support, LAN-only multiplayer, demo bundled with PhysX cards
    - Click here to download the CellFactor demo
    Kuju Entertainment - Rail Simulator
    Kylotonn - Bet On Soldier: Blood Sport
    Larian Studios
    Legendo Entertainment
    Meridian 93
    Metropolis Software - INFERNAL (Diabolique)
    MiST Land
    Most Wanted Entertainment - Joint Task Force
    Mythic Entertainment - Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning
    Naked Sky Entertainment - RoboBlitz
    NetDevil
    Obsidian Entertainment
    PerfectPlay Entertainment - Metathrone Project
    Piranha Bytes - Gothic 3
    Real Time Worlds
    Shiny Entertainment Studio
    Quantic Dream - KARMA
    Ritual Entertainment
    Secret Level
    SEGA - GE2 Project (and other next-generation titles)
    Sigil Games Online - Vanguard: Saga Of Heroes
    Signature Devices
    Spark Unlimited - New Pandora game *
    Treehouse (Games Academy) - Fragfist
    Widescreen Games
    XL Games
    YAGER Development - Eye Of The Storm

* = PhysX PPU required

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    That is 99% signed on for the software it looks like. Not the actual ppu.

16. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    No, thats 99% where the PPU is not required, but any title that uses the PhysX SDK will use the PPU if present.

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i've already added to the thread, LedHed.... we just can't seem to get through to you that the PPU is capable of a LOT more than a dual core CPU is. You really want me to take a screenshot of something that a GPU and CPU alone can't do? i could easily take a few shots at the flag till it's tattered, torn, and swaying in the breeze, with HDR lighting reflecting off it's surface. it's really quite stunning when you see it.

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Elemental there is nothing that PPU can do that my 2nd core cant do.

If you think so tell me what it can do that an A64 at 2.5ghz cant do. Do you not understand that the PPU is just another processing unit just like your CPU? Except it has to run on a PCI slot instead of the CPU's prime location.

Can you do me a favor Elemental and show me what you score on the Box Demo? (just a screen shot like I posted)

[​IMG]

^^ this one

(Im honestly just curious to see what you get)

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  19. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS

Clueless.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    ???????

Thread Status: