PhysX Box Demo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LedHed, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm not saying that JUST textures matter.

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    evilkiller650 would you please step out of this discussion as the video card is not involved in this at all and that is all you will talk about. The point is a PPU is a secondary CPU. Why the hell would I pay 300 for a 1.4ghz PCI CPU when I already have a 2nd core with A64 architecture running at 2.2ghz? Hell most games dont even use 80% of one of my cores (along with all the background apps). Quit filling this thread up with useless BS about textures. Do you think about textures when you are doing a math problem? Well either will the PPU.

**Can anyone please run this Demo and tell us the type of FPS you get, the more people the better**

(I want to see if RAM affects anything and if dual cores/64 bit change anything)

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  3. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Dude.... I just stated several times that I'm not talking about textures, just everything in a game. Why are you with bothered dual core CPU's? They won't be supported for a while in games. Like I said, you don't need to buy one.
    And I am always above 40+FPS in that demo.... since you wanna know

You state that most games don't use more than 80% of 1 core (they maybe use around 50%?). Today games hardly have any 'real' physics, a few objects moving around like chairs, buckets, etc like FEAR and HL2. If you shoot, debris comes flying off and disappears. Shoot on the ground in Celllfactor, and every bit of debris lies there and moves if you want to move it.

If todays games use around 50% of each core with just a few objects, then imagine what Cellfactor could do with 1 core, make it hit 100% then needing to use other core then which hit 100%.
    Cellfactor has like 40x more objects than any other game out there.
    I don't know if you know what I'm getting at, but I'm finding it hard to explain for some reason. lol

I know what your getting at, MAYBE 2 cores could run games like Cellfactor if supported.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    so your argument is that this companies 1.4ghz PCI Secondary CPU is going to be able to do math better than an A64 at 2.2ghz?

You do realize that this card is on the PCI bandwith? It has to wait in line to talk to the REAL cpu. AGP and PCI are all on the same channel and they all have to wait their turn.

Why are you such a fan boy for some off the wall company that none of us know about but you keep knocking on dual cores? Dual cores are the future and everyone knows this. Oblivion is the first game to really use it but so is Serious Sam 2 and other games.

But back to the real topic on hand you say you got 40+fps why in the world am I getting over 190 at times? It must be because both cores are running at their max potential.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Alright well this blows your Cell Factor theory out of the water

[​IMG]

(I tried to hit Print Screen at the best time but that stuff flies by so fast its hard to hit it right I avg about 45-50fps in that game when I am shooting and blowing up stuff I dont know why it hit 27 for a second just my luck)

Before you comment on Graphics that has nothing to do with the PPU that is only on the GPU. The textures are turned down to 30% due to my old GPU.

BTW they also optimized Cell Factor for Dual Core

[​IMG]

In other words it isnt even close to saying that you must have the PPU to play this game that is just retarded. I play it fine on an old video card. This PPU is sooooo damn hyped up its not even funny.

[​IMG]

Tad bit slower on this one but again it lies in the GPU. My CPU still has room during this game for more instructions.

6. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    locked at 85 fps wtf

[​IMG]

edit oops vsink was on lol

7. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    heres a better one

[​IMG]

8. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    dude that box test is a joke

[​IMG]

9. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    [​IMG]

LMFAO both cors were max 100%

10. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Turn the Bots on. Are you able to shoot the Big flag? Do you see the fluid dynamics used for the blood when you blow your self up? CAn you blow your self up? If you answer yes to it then post a screen shot of you against the bots, in a death match game, shooting the big flag and showing the FPS.
    I bet you can't see any of the cloth or fluid dynamics. Not to mention all the boxes and pipes have scripted physics. No matter how you shoot them or howmany times you shoot them they will only break a certain amount untill they dissapear in a blast of particles. No wonder it a breeze for your dule core. With out the dynamic physics it isn't really doing anything new/overly stressfull.
    Try to get the dynamic stuff (you know, the stuff the PPU was intended for :rolleyes:) in a screen shot w/ FPS and then you can claim anything you want. Untill then there is no comparison and you have no argument.

Besides I am really anxious to see if one can even do that without a PPU.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Hey everybody look ^ its a fan boy!!!! ^

I also think its funny how you will base the whole reason for having a PPU on this one game. The code is written to send those instructions to a PPU and by messing with the shortcut the game will run without it. It was never meant to send the physics codes to the 2nd CPU.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    it'll run without it, but you won't get the effects that it provides. i also did the whole shortcut thing..... i can play it.... i get a semi-decent fps.... but he's right. everything breaks the same way.... disappears shortly after... i don't see the huge flag..... i don't see blood when i blow myself up. Yes.... it may seem like it's proving that the GPU can handle it.... but look at it this way... everyone says that the added stuff from the PPU will create more strain on the GPU. Don't they say that, for the Physics on GPU stuff that GPU's can handle a lot more than they do? how exactly would this be creating stress on the GPU then? and when our games hit a slower FPS with a boatload of props flying around.... does the graphics quality ever stutter? no. the GPU never throttles itself down to make the graphics not look quite as good in order to allow for better, smoother gameplay. it seems to be the CPU that's causing most of the stutters.

13. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    This one game? This is basically the first game to fully support PPU's. Breaking things are mostly scripted. Everything needs to mature, driver support, etc.

If developers fully start to see the potential (I think theres potential, maybe you don't) of the PPU, it'll become like the GPU when that was first used. Your averaging 30FPS when you cause a big explosion? Enable the bots, find a way to enable them fancy effects (fluids, etc) and it'll drop right down.

The PPU was meant for something more advanced.

Anyways, can anyone explain why my FPS drops so much when I enable more texture detail on CF? Just my card with lack of video RAM? Would't it just resort to my 2GB of RAM if it had a lack of VRAM? Ledhed, shove 75% textures on and see how it copes.

14. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=10096

"AGEIA appears to imply and consumers conjecture that the PPU is generating so many objects that the GPU cannot handle the load. Multiple direct tests on the game by using NVIDIA’s and ATI GPUs indicate the GPU has room to spare and in fact, if the PPU is factored out of the game, that the particle content generated by the PPU can easily be drawn at full game speeds by the GPU. So the introduction of the PPU most certainly appears to be the cause of the slow down in this case. NVIDIA specifically can technically verify that the GPU is not the cause of the slowdown."

There you go on graphics again...this isnt not a test of graphics...the PPU purely does calculations it doesnt render anything. So please get off your textures trip again...

15. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Dude.... you obviously can't read. I asked a question of WHY textures are affecting my performance so much!! Nothing about PPU's and textures!!

16. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_dual-core_performance/page3.asp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I totally understand. Quake 4 doesn't get 60-70% performance increases with the SMP patch, so games definately do not support dual core.

Give me a break.

17. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Oh yes, you get 80FPS with a single core then with dual-core you get an extra 40FPS making 120FPS....

Gimme a break. I also said they aren't totally supported.

18. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    The winner for most uneducated response goes to.........

By stating what I know and giving an argument that you cannot prove wrong does not make me a FAN BOY. :rolleyes:
    Seriously run the Demo and show the stuff I asked you to show and PROVE me wrong. Because this qoute:

is so old.
    Agiea had already stated the slowdowns in GRAW was a PPU driver problem and released the fix for it last week. If this is the bases for your argument then you are the most uninformed person I have had the pleasure of asking to prove me wrong.
    Just run the CF demo and show us the screen shots of you in a bot game with the cloth/fluid dynamics averaging the same frame rates as without the bots, cloth/fluid dynamics and I will gladly except what you are saying and back you up every time this topic comes up. Hell, I'll quote your very response and show your screen shots all over the net, proving once and for all that the PPU is not needed and is a marketing ploy to get people to spend mony they don't need to spend. You will be famous.

Take the chalenge or take a walk cause you're getting a little offencive.

19. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

That's an irrelevent statement used to attempt to rectify your incorrectness and to digress from the real point of the benchmarks.

The point of those benchmarks is to show much of an FPS increase there is, not to show how much of a noticeable increase there is, because there is obviously going to be no noticeable difference, as the maximum FPS the human eye can percieve is generally around 60FPS.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Tell me something how does me running a demo that had to be modified to run because it is made to use a card that I don’t have on my old ass 6800nu going to prove anything? I simply showed that I could run the game even without the piece of equipment they claim you MUST have to run it. When I get my 7900GT this will be a different story, but for now my 6800nu can not run a game like that there are too many textures. This has nothing to do with having a PPU or not having one; my video card just simply will not run the game smooth with those graphics turned up.

Also do you think I give a crap that you are getting offended because I am talking bad about your hand-me down 1.4ghz PCI CPU that is made by a bunch of nobody’s that we all just recently heard of? Well I don’t. Poor decision to buy one and everyone knows this. This is why less than 10% of this forum will own one. That card can not do anything that my 2nd core can’t do and my 2nd core will do it better. Don’t give me the onboard ram crap either because I have plenty of RAM to spare. But you both keep showing your fan boy attitude and then you keep talking about graphics of this game when in fact that PPU has nothing to do with graphics.

Cell Factor is a demo that isn’t meant to run without that card, now when UT07 comes out then there will be something to compare this argument too.

Boy you guys got your toes walked on when you saw that my CPU could do what you spent 300 bucks on. Someone with that PPU and my video card with a slower single core CPU are going to do worse than me in that game or their box demo. I would bet money on it.

Put it this way, would you let Ageia make your CPU for your computer or would you rather have AMD or Intel do it? Exactly, now why do you think this company all of a sudden can make physics calculations better than AMD or Intel can?

This was a neat idea but in the end it will fail in gaming..There is no need for a PCI Physics card, its just plain idiotic. Its like they made dual cores to do stuff just like this but then this ingenious company decides it’s a good idea to make another CPU to have to screw with on the PCI bandwidth but the CPU isn’t even close to the same level as one core on any Intel or AMD platform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.