PhysX Box Demo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LedHed, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Has anyone ran this? I just did and look at the frames I got. I also noticed that the software was using a good amount of both cores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean what kinda framerates do you think the people with the actual cards get?

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    post the linky for it and ill give it a try :)

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It can be found in their drivers.

http://www.ageia.com/physx/drivers.html

Just install the drivers and then go into Processor Settings tab in Start menu.

Then click the demo tab and there it is, just click on the icon.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Im curious to see if mine performed so well due to my CPU or if everyone's will give results like that

*I just ran this again and I got the demo to use 97% of both my cores. I wonder why they optimized it for dual cores if the whole point was to make everyone think you had to have their cards to do this kinda stuff.

Here is another screeny look at the cores

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2006

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I'll give it a try to see how well it works on older CPUs. After seeing stuff like this, I'm beginning to wonder if the PhysX really does anything that can't be done at the CPU level.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    its good that you two try it because then we will know if everyone does well or if the A64's do better than the XPs or if dual cores makes a difference.

7. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    ya well try using the sdk you get better demos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I couldnt figure out how to use SDK to make it do anything

9. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    ya you have to registure weth there dev group

but anyway that was with my cpu I dont have a PPU so

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    allesclar or orenda635 have yall ran this demo yet? If so what were the results?

11. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I made a topic on this quite a while back.... the reason you get high FPS is because its only boxes, no textures, nothing.
    Once you start adding textures, AI, logics.... the FPS will start to drop big.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The PPU doesn’t do anything with textures it is only doing calculations on how those objects will move. So your argument is not relevant. Adding a PPU isn’t going to boost your textures rendering on your GPU. Its actually going to put more of a load on your GPU because of the more objects it has to render. The PPU is purely physics based and only calculates like a CPU. Do you honestly think AI is going to have that much to do with PPU? Just think about this you add a PPU to your board along with your CPU you are going to have like a 1.4ghz PPU and your 2.1ghz sempron. Well I already have 2 A64's running at 2.2 GHz each stock. I just think a dual core CPU can knock out the need of a PPU all together.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Like you, I imagine the benefit of a ppu on a dual core will be rather insignificant for games already using both cores. I kind of thought that was the whole point of games utilizing both cores.

But time will tell...

14. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Yes, but adding textures will greatly decrease the performance, look at Cellfactor. Take away the textures and you get like 40FPS, put like 25% texture on and your performance drops to like 20FPS.

I can't talk right now though.

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    What exactly is your argument? You are saying that the PPU is going to help your performance when textures are thrown in? (this is infact wrong) No one is saying that textures arent going to decrease performance, but we are talking about just the PPU here. Which brings me back to the same point that the PPU is not going to change this that much. I dont see someone with the PPU scoring that much higher FPS on Ageia's own demo than I did. I would think AMD's cores are a lot better at calculating than some off the wall company that decided to grace us with their product.

*Textures are all in the video card and have nothing to do with the PPU so please drop that completely from this discussion.

Do you really think after I get my 7900GT along with my X2 4200+ that throwin in a PPU would show me any real gains? I would say no if the game is written in multi threading coding for my CPU. I just dont see the point of these cards. But the whole point of this thread was to see what others got on CPU alone and then what someone got with the actual card.

Last edited: May 13, 2006

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I got about 25fps during the test. This is about average on my system for physics intensive programs.

The X2 4200 has a lot more raw power than my aging 1.67ghz Palomino core.

17. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm just stating the FPS is so high because its just boxes, nothing else. Once you add what games have, the FPS will drop.

The PPU is useful now due to the fact that no games support dual core (cept a few) By the time DC's are fully supported by games, games will be so advanced that they will require both, a dual core and PPU.
    After a while, quad cores will come, games will then come support quad-cores. Then games will become SO advanced (like life-realistic-ish) they'll require a PPU AND a quad-core CPU.

Thats my thought.... maybe slighty exagerrated. Yours is different, clearly. You don't need to buy a PPU, nobodys forcing you.
    I just expect, and hope that games like UT07 will get graphically and performance boosts with a PPU.

Like everyone says....time will tell....

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Now Im curious to see what the other guy gets on an A64. I really think having a dual core is going to knock the PPU out.

If anyone has a PPU can you please post what kind of FPS you got during the tests?

19. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    textures dont matter, all that does is make the graphics card the bottleneck, the OPs point was that if you make sure the cpu is the bottleneck, even without a ppu you can pull off a lot of fps

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I really think with a Dual Core CPU and a hell of a video card you will be able to run any of those "PPU Optimized" titles without a hitch. As long as the titles codes are written to send the Physics commands to one of the cores while the other handles the rest of the commands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.