Photos and Specifications MSI GTX GeForce 1080 Ti and 1080 Ti X Sea Hawk

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Since conventionally cooled 1080Ti's looks like have some sweating, on the VRM's area.
    What about Sea Hawk.. VRM there will be hot aswell?
    I hope they not cranked up price too crazy.. coz im interested in this one.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    the MSI one seems to have cool VRMs

5. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Ye MSI have abit lower temps. But for overclocking 80/83*C still is high IMO.
    I plan doing some strong OC, to achieve close 60 FPS in 4K (without motion blur, and AA).
    If not will need two 180Ti's or 1080's :nerd:

6. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    This does not make sense.
    What is the point in having a WC'ed GPU that still needs a blower over the VRM? You get performance, yes, but not quietness. If silence is not important to you, then just buy a regular Ti and overclock it.
    It is wiser - and probably less expensive - to buy a regular card, a water block from reputable brand like EK and loop it into your already existing WC system.

7. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    This makes alot of sense to me. Since I do not have a custom loop, but only AIO for CPU. This was why I picked up the 1070 version. It cost about the same as their other overclocked versions, so it was pretty much win-win. The cooler will be superior to any air cooling due to a much larger surface area on the radiator and since it vents all the heat out of your case (vs non-reference coolers). Max core temperature @ 2.1GHz is 50C, both the radiator fan (~1100RPM) and blower (Auto, ~33%) are basically silent.

The fan doesn't really spin up and is basically silent. It's just there to help reduce VRM/memory temperatures. It's going to be much quieter than a small blower going at 2000RPM+.

MSI also has a EK version built exactly for users with full loops.

8. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    100% agree. I mainly WC my video card so I do not have to hear a fan. Also wouldn't the card most likely be better over all with cooler VRMs?

9. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    Not necessarily. I own a GigaByte 980 ti Waterforce. There is no fan on my card, as the VRMs are covered by the waterblock. Almost all reviews of my card point this out and the fact that the VRMs run a little warmer than cards such as the 980ti seahawk with a fan over the VRMs. Nothing to be alarmed about, but the data is there.

Don't get me wrong, I love this card and would buy a 1080ti waterforce in a heartbeat, if they end up making one. Also, I've seen EVGA 980 ti Hybrids with a small squirrel cage fan, and later models with the fin type fan. Not sure which one makes more noise.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This makes perfect sense.
    To cool the VRM.
    That is a lie, card is virtually silent as it runs on a fixed RPM. It's on same level as my case fans.
    And enjoy thermal clocking, heat, loud noise, and a much higher chance of getting yet another bricked GPU.
    No its not cheaper, where did you get that from? a) its way more expensive b) performance is practically the same c) Way more hassle

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    It makes sense for somebody who wants higher performance but for whatever reason doesn't want to buy/build a custom loop. On water the GPU on the Ti is incredibly cool, just by raising the power limit to 120 will see the boost hit 1.8 and thats with zero manual OCing or voltage tweeks.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Exactly, where i live custom loop parts are VERY expensive.

AIO provides best solution for affordable water cooling of the GPU.

13. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Makes a lot of sense, the 1080's thermal throttle quite often. These give the card some serious overclocking headroom with very little noise and none of the hassle of a custom loop.

14. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    To cool the VRM.

Oh, really? I thought those nice and good looking chips ran perfectly fine @100C...

Of course they need to be cooled. The point is that one is better served looking for a full block that also covers the VRM so you don't need an extra fan.

It is a free world and everybody can do what they want with their money and their system.
    Performance and silence wise, I just wonder if it makes sense to have an AIO liquid cooling for the CPU, plus this for GPU: you end up having 2 pumps and at least 2 fans, or more, if your AIO CPU cooler is 240/280, plus the mess of tubes.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why is it that these cards, from many manufacturers, are not clocked the highest of their series?

Serious question.

The MSI GTX 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X specs wise is the exact same as the MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G

Yet air vs water cooled.

Before you state "Well you can OC it to your delight"

Yes, i understand this, but that mindset could be applied to any card within a series, where all cards would have stock frequencies and the only differences were possibly the PCB, cooler, and other physical things. Yet that's not the case, with additional coolers and custom PCBs and the like, comes an increase in their default performance.

But not with the AIO water cooled products? The ones they theoretically, if paired with their highest end custom PCBs could have a stock clock potentially much higher then their air cooled versions?

I don't understand this.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    GALTARAUJO
    Well that really depends on size of your case.

I have CPU h115i cooler and Sea hawk. So in total 4 tubes, two go up the case from CPU, two go to the back of the case from the GPU, no connection and doesn't look messy.

Besides monoblock versions ( example Gigabyte AIO ) are more expensive, and run hotter.

Sure, cards can also run perfectly fine at 86c, and then it fries. I had it too many times in past with several cards on Air. Since then i am paranoid about temps.

Aura89
    Well if its a REALLY fancy PCB, theoretically Yes, however with my limited tech knowledge, they can't manufacture a custom Gtx 1080Ti Gpu so you are limited by its specs, all they can "tweak" to certain extent is PCB itself.

There we end up mostly with custom VRM solutions (usually just slapping more of them, which doesn't really help anything and only benefit LN2 overclocking) / higher quality materials / better mosfets.

Result is usually a bit higher stock clocks, theoretically more stable OC, and longer card life span. What AIO adds to it, is lower temperature, better more stable overclocking, more sustainable clocks during prolonged gaming sessions and my favourite is ability to crank up every setting in the game and don't bother with temperatures.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ^ And that's my point. It provides the ability to create a stock clock that is higher then the rest and be stable from the get go, but time and time again i see these AIO units either matching the top of the line air-cooled card, and sometimes even being less. Again, i understand that we ourselves can OC it, but that's not the point lol.

18. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    I had a brief 1080 version of this cooler and was totally disappointed with the performance after the coolant temperatures stabilised (20 to 30 minutes) the temperature was in the low 60s oC but the single fan was working over board! at nearly full load pointless in my opinion as my msi twin frozer was about the same noise wise at 78oC so I set the fan to its lowest level while temperatures reached high 70's and even 80oC under load playing games yet the fan was still noticeable making this pointless.
    Went over to my first water cooling loop cpu and gpu and with this setup (yes I appreciate it's vastly more expensive) and now my fans are set at half DC in the bios so it never gets even remotely loud but my temps are 60oC max even gaming for 8hrs plus and my cpu low 60's.
    The lesson I learnt was custom wc is the only way if you want silence and low temperatures.
    These coolers are pointless.
    TcM

Ps as I was buying the 1080 sea hawk while I still had the msi 980ti which would have cost me £800 buying the Ekwb kit @£530 keeping my old kit (fps in all my games dropped 3-7fps with the 980ti so no biggie still getting mid 70's @ 3440/1440 with very high settings) left me with £270 which I used to buy a new epic case the phanteks enthoo evolve tempered glass and still had money left over for some fizzy wine.
    Best investment and beautiful system I've ever built.
    Save your money if you have a 1080 go to the Ekwb web loop configuration and assemble it.
    I had Zero experience in customising pc I'm an old git and if I could do it you definitely can.
    A word of warning wc is very addictive I've wc my wife's pc too not that she needed it ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017