Phone specs for "lite" use

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by BigBlockTowncar, Dec 13, 2016.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    How important are the phone specs if you do not intend on watching movies or playing games? I was thinking about a Moto G4 or G4 Plus, it seems to be on the list for cheaper smartphones, and it is really the only brand I recognize.....most seem to be Chinese design that I have never heard of. The negatives on this model seem to be no NFC and no removable battery.

2. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Even if you are a heavy user, the moto g4 its really good and fast, probably cant run some heavier games at 100% but Snapdragon 617 and 2Gb ram should be able to handle almost anything smoothly, including movies (vlc rocks btw).

The most important aspect its the software support, Motorola have an excelent reputation with updates (now its lenovo owned btw) but i think moto g4 has android 7.0 update already so i assume continues with a solid software support.

3. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    It has android 6. It was downloading some sort of update a little while ago....not sure what it was doing. I don't know when this phone was manufactured, but most of the things I tried to use said it needed to download new versions. Strange as this model has not been out long.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    You got a budget in mind?

5. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I already bought a Moto G4.

I understand they try to idiot proof these things, but there is so little customization offered unless you root the phone.

I told Android to list my contacts last name, first name. It does so in "contacts" but doesn't do it if I press the call button, and doesn't do it if I press the "messenger" button. I see no option on how to do this.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Installing a 3rd party launcher such as Nova Launcher gives a massive amount of customisation control over the UI, you can also install different Caller and Messaging apps if you don't like the stock ones

Textra SMS is a popular SMS app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

Truecaller is a popular Caller app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller

Switch out the homescreen shortcuts and set them as default for text and call

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Nova Launcher is awesome on phones with limited resources. Even compared to Google's own "Google Now Launcher", Nova is an improvement. It's likely to be the first thing installed when my Nexus 6P shows up in a few days..... Probably should have been installed on my Nexus 5X, but it's started to get extremely hot and lag very badly.

My mom has the first Lenovo released Moto G, and it is very responsive for having lower-end hardware. I definitely recommend the Moto G/G4 line for people who want a phone for things other than gaming and don't need/want a large screen.

8. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Root its for more advanced stuff, dont bother with it, if you want to costumize the ui you have alot of apps, dialer / message / launchers / widgets

I use hd widgets and the google sms app. (Disabled hanghouts)

Everything else is google stock (i have a nexus 5)
    Meaning google launcher / google dialer / chrome / etc
    But if you install a new launcher its already a big ui change, some of them have themes etc.

Tip: just disable what you dont use (google news etc) but moto g doesnt have that much crapware compared to others anyway

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nova is especially good for Samsung phones with that hideous TouchWiz launcher

I'm beta testing the new Nougat update with a new 'Samsung Experience' touchwiz replacement, which does a good job in settings and the notification dropdown, but still leaves the same old Touchwiz style launcher

So Nougat/Samsung Experience combined with Nova Launcher = superb

10. JamesFox

JamesFox Guest

Moto G4 is amazing. All the moto model is very user friendly to use.