Phoenix Point chose EGS

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Mar 13, 2019.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    You ought to be less of a self-righteous fop, then. People are angry, and most of them will throw "morality" out the window. Seeing that Epic is covering any lost gains, and seeing how Phoenix Point devs even admitted that they no longer need money from customers thanks to this deal, what's the harm?

Funny how Steam helped to reduce piracy, because it introduced a lot of convenience to the consumer (all other stores simply followed a set precedent - except for GOG and its unique DRM&ownership perks), and now Epic will help to re-introduce it to the market.

As was stated, a lot of people simply won't be forced to use another launcher / account, no matter how free of charge it may be. It's also funny to see that so far, none of these new developers, who are so struggling for cash, simply launched on all available stores (those that actually allow 3rd party games). Back to PP, it was supposed to come out on Steam&GOG, but now its exclusive to only one store. Why not simply add Epic to the other two? Because Epic doesn't want that, that's why, and it simply uses money to out-buy the competition.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    cerebus23, BangTail and lucidus like this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol morals for an industry that has no problems abusing its customer base and workers. frack that. I have absolutely no moral issues with torrenting games that are epic exclusive. They're paying for it all aren't they? If one wants to be a sucker and the industry's bitch then go ahead and be one. I'm quite content with returning to my old ways and laughing at the drama, just like the days of securom and gfwl. If they keep it up long enough, I may never return either. Oh well, at least if h/w prices go up even more, suddenly more funds will be available. Heck, I may even subscribe to PSN :p

BangTail likes this.
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Personally, I don't pirate stuff but how you can go on about piracy (and how bad it is) in one breath while condoning the kind of daylight robbery that Epic is currently engaging in (not to mention the actual theft of data) truly does boggle the mind.

People feel that they are being robbed of choice and while some people will blindly buy from anywhere because they 'have to have' the latest game, many of us will not.

As I've said before, I will never install the EGS and I will never buy anything from them again (Full disclosure, I did buy Ashen from them but that was before all this horseh!t happened, I never played it and that launcher will never go near any of my hardware again).

What Epic are doing is totally unethical and anti consumer, if people want to support that kind of crap and make the PC marketplace an unpleasant and convoluted arena, then so be it.

I'll freely admit to being wrong here, I really didn't think more large devs/pubs would be stupid enough to go down this road but I seriously underestimated the greed that so many people put before everything else, including their own integrity.

emperorsfist, lucidus and INSTG8R like this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Being angry at someone does not justify stealing from them - that is some messed up logic right there. There is absolutely no reason to turn to piracy and turn yourself into a thief in order to oppose Epic. These gamers act like they're on the side of good (for consumer choice, fairness, etc.) but they're only really in it for themselves and will readily turn to crime to get what they want. Like I said, I feel ashamed to be associated with such people.

I can respect someone not buying from the EGS out of principle, but I cannot respect someone who pirates. That makes them just as greedy and self-centered as the publishers and shows that they are no better than those who they are opposing. If they want to criticize Epic / publishers for their greed, then they have to have the moral high ground - anything else makes them a hypocrite.

5. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    This is effed beyond reason since I am still a huge X-Com fan and Julian sold out to Epic money...

The point is not that the game is bad, but the betrayal to their backers...

I judge people by their character, not looks, rep or gossip, and he lost it all for me after all these years... so effed up beyond any reason...

RzrTrek, BangTail and INSTG8R like this.
  6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oh you poor, poor person. Let me loose you from your misery -> you aren't associated with anyone here. There's nothing but talking jpegs here, none of which most likely represents someone from any social circle you frequent in your real life. Same goes vice versa. Don't equate being registered on a forum to a real world connection or acquaintance.

The moment you have a studio that matter-of-factly says: "Well, we literally can end up with no one buying our game, and we still make a profit", what do you do then? What message you send? Give a bad review? Oops, Epic has none. Leave a dissatisfied comment in the discussion? Oops, they don't have that either. That's saying as if it would matter in the end. There is a great fallacy going around the so called "gamer toxicity", and that is that it's presented as an actual threat to the developers by the various online "journalists" who take time discussing if games have the right amount of gays and transsexuals in them. The thing is, it's not. All these billion Dollar corporations don't give a $hit if people complain and spout vitriol, and they know full well that there will always be plenty of others who simply don't care, and buy everything regardless of any controversy, however well earned.

What's left but being petty? Most people don't pirate with some moral high-ground as the reason, and if they say so, it's mostly posturing. I just want to vent (as do many others), for example. I can't be happy about this situation, and I can't be bottling up anger forever. Minor annoyances, when piled on top of one another, will at some point breach the atmosphere. I will most likely not pirate PP, or METRO, or Outer Worlds, but I vent, and tell off any busybody who'll come moralising.

cerebus23, Kolt, Valken and 3 others like this.
  7. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @emperorsfist

There is no arguing with these guys, they'll simply turn it into one strawman debate or another, some trite, disingenuous bullsh!t to suit their agenda.

Nobody is angry that devs make more money and neither would they be if Steam was getting some actual competition, not the pathetic and nefarious practices Epic have chosen to undertake.

Exclusivity and being forced to use a sub par storefront are bad, that's all most of us have been saying from the off.

cerebus23, Kolt, Valken and 2 others like this.
  8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    I know where you're coming from and which is exactly why I got feed up with Reddit and deleted my account (was long overdue: censorship, tencent money, privacy concerns, etc),

but I do get the whole culture of piracy memes and they're hilarious, but when you've people who are openly supporting piracy (not paying for anything), then it's only fair to question them.

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm talking about being associated with other PC gamers! Things like this make me want to quit the r/pcgaming and r/pcmasterrace subreddits out of embarrassment. Of course there are the occasional people who are anti-piracy but they are the exception.

Like I said, I'm amazed that piracy is considered a valid response to this situation by so many gamers - openly advocating for an illegal activity FFS. Think about that for a second and you'll realize just how f'd up this is. Two wrongs do not make a right, and willingly turning yourself into a criminal defeats the purpose of any "principled stance" (it's the principles of a thief).

Aside from the moral aspect, increased piracy validates the existence of DRMs - we may not like DRMs but it's clear that they're needed. It will also lead to ever-more intrusive and restrictive DRMs in the future, which will lead to a poorer gameplay experience for everyone as well as increased focus on consoles. If this happens, then those games who pirated now will be directly responsible.

10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This isn't about piracy, some people need to come down off their soapboxes.

Piracy was here long before this happened and it will be here long after it has drifted into obscurity.

Let's stop with the strawman bollocks shall we.

cerebus23, Kolt, Valken and 1 other person like this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I came, I saw, I copied that floppy. ┐( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)┌

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019