1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phoenix Point chose EGS

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    AsiJu likes this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ dare I say that's an Epic fail!

Now that's out of the way let me just add wtf, lol and bye.
    Keep your exclusives, I'll gladly wait a year to have a... what's that word... oh right, a choice.

lucidus and BangTail like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Honestly guys, as much as this upsets some of us, we should be aware as well, others don't even care in the smallest ;)
    If anything, people disliking Epic / launcher / EGS dislike them more now, who was down with them probably still is.

And even if people weren't down with this, they need to stick with Epic because of it's exclusives! ;)

4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @fantaskarsef

I'll have to disagree with you there, this kind of thing annoys people, and as much as it may not be the torpedo that actually sinks the ship, she is definitely taking on water.

I will agree that some people don't care, but the herd mentality can work just as effectively against you as it can for you.

When people don't feel that their info is secure on a given platform, many of them will choose to avoid said platform.

I can only speak for my group of friends that I play with but it is unanimous that none of us will ever use the EGS, regardless of what 'exclusives' they poach.

fantaskarsef and lucidus like this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The current controversy seems to be the way that Steam integration works with the Epic launcher (and I suspect any other app / launcher that integrates with Steam). These integrations can only work if there is a way for one app to access the data of another, and people seem to have mistaken this for spyware. Sweeney says this info is only used with your explicit permission, although the data is collected regardless (I'm guessing it's just not sent or used unless you agree).

I think this issue was blown way out of proportion, most likely by those who already hated Epic. I see lots of comments about Tencent / China on reddit now, trying to tie this into China's general spying activities, LOL.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I have the same opinion as you do, but I honestly doubt herd mentality usually comes mixed with common sense to avoid this. Honestly, out of my 4 gaming buddies, I'm sure at least two of them wouldn't care, unless I take the time to share my opinion with them. It's not like they'd not think about it as I do, it's just they don't care, don't read tech sites etc. they just start the PC, log into whatever they want to play to launch it, and that's about it.

I too believe it's not the end of the world, as stuff like GFE does it as well iirc, GOG does it (although to check if you can get free GOG copies of Steam games) etc.
    Like I said once before in another thread, it's circumstantial evidence helping me avoid this platform by my free choice. Then again, anybody saying they don't care, don't think it's bad, they should feel free to enjoy their usage of EPG / their launcher. I don't think it's worth the time to preach to deaf people at this point :D

BangTail likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  9. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

Disgusting.

RzrTrek likes this.
  10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz

Another developer who joined the dark side. Also the reasoning behind the deal are laughable at best.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

Detailed analysis of Epic's bullshit (and Tim Sweeney trying to justify it is even more disgusting).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    AsiJu, cerebus23 and RzrTrek like this.
  12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Steam may disapprove but pretty sure in the EU they will be fined because you have to disclose ALL data collection nm how small or large. they never disclosed they were gathering up this data and if they were so proud of and its no big deal then why would they clearly say they wanted this data for simple marketing purposes, and to sell your data no doubt.

AsiJu and BangTail like this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    It's a shame that Tencent has a finger in everything: Discord, Epic Games and Reddit.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I don't understand Tim Sweeny's game plan, like.... if his aim is to make people legitimately hate the Epic Store and just in general anything related to Epic then he is certainly succeeding.

AsiJu and BangTail like this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Next year he'll be griefing android gamers lol.

cerebus23 and BangTail like this.

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I don't like any client snooping around without asking me first (didn't Origin used to do something similar when it launched - I remember it scanning HDDs for cracks or something). It's suspect how quickly they want to remove it once found out...

17. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Can't anything come out without a several years long "roadmap"? It's like we can't get finished things anymore... Just how rushed was this client?

AsiJu likes this.
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hopefully they'll abandon it like UT4 :p

BangTail, cerebus23 and emperorsfist like this.
  19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Don't remind me. Unreal Tournament died for f***ing Fortnite...

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Going by yt, they even threw the Fortnite PvE guys under the bus for BR.

BangTail likes this.