Philips: New 4K OLED TVs unveiled for 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Philips TP-Vision brand will introduce new televisions featuring OLED displays. The OLED806 (48, 55, 65, and 77-inch models) and OLED856 (55- and 65-inch models) series have a resolution of 3840 x 216...

Philips: New 4K OLED TVs unveiled for 2021

DannyD likes this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not very good connections, and, pretty much a face lift from last year on the style and material used, but the underlying chipset remains the same.

Pass.

It is interesting that there has been a minor teeny weeny shift away from Mini-LED panels, and a robust push for some to even reproduce OLED tv's, like Samsung moving back to OLED...which I found to be really interesting. Samsung not using Quantum dot tech for next year?

3. King Mustard

King Mustard Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Who makes the panels?

4. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    I'd stay away from Philips - based on what I've read their customer support is horrible when it comes to burn-in; they just blame the user, while LG replaces the panel even after the warranty has run out.

5. kcajjones

kcajjones Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1.28GB
    The fact burn in is a problem in 2021 tells me we should just avoid oled completely. If no one buys it, the next thing will come along and replace it. Micro/mini led?

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I hope I do not need to visit em. 2 years I've had their OLED no burn-in so far.

7. King Mustard

King Mustard Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The average user won't see burn-in, these days. It's overblown.

However, I do believe the brightness of an OLED display dims overall over time, as it did with plasma TVs.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

https://i.rtings.com/assets/pages/KSgdN7NZ/real-burn-in-hdr-10-large.jpg

Maybe above 10% APL but for the most part it doesn't seem to dim over a few thousand hours.

9. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Huh? HDMI 2.1 on 4 ports not good enough?

While Burn is probably not an issue, what I see most people complaining about on AV forums is the colour shift inherent in OLED's, like yellow banding across the screen and terrible uniformity.

Mini-LED is staying for the short term. Samsung's new OLED next year will be combining OLED and Quantum dots to create a product above the min-led QLED range.

In theory it should be brighter and less prone to colour shift compared the LG's OLED panels. Could be great, but likely very expensive.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I never experienced yellow banding - there are some minor uniformity problems and gray banding with older models:

My 2017 kind of looks like this: (this is not my picture)
    https://i.imgur.com/ToEvqjL.jpg

But my sisters 2020 looks more like this (a lot less banding):
    https://i.imgur.com/SGPl39w.jpg

That being said I'm pretty anal about screen issues and I've noticed it in maybe one or two movies in 3 years with my 2017 LG. In my opinion all the benefits of OLED massively outweigh that as a negative compared to other technologies at the moment. I will say they can still be improved in terms of uniformity and brightness (especially at higher APL levels) and I think long term MicroLED will probably come out on top.. but if I'm buying a new TV today it's 100% going to be OLED. That or a really high end projector.

11. Serega_Mih

Serega_Mih Member

GPU:
    GainwardGTX1660S
    LG display:cool:

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    WTF! 50 watt amp on a TV? i mean even if they cheat (like car audio) and mean peak power, that is considerable heft on a flat panel tv. IMHO, the last tv with that kind of power was the old analog original Sony XBR (the one with detachable speakers) from the 1980's when stereo tv was new.
    this may be the first flat panel with non-sucky sound. the rear woofer would be manually amplified by wall placement so it may be prone to boom when placed in corners. it actually may not need a soundbar...
    would love to see it reviewed

13. Richard Nutman

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Yeah MicroLED should be the best ultimately. But it's a long way off being affordable, and they can't even manufacture them small enough atm.
    Samsung Electronics (who make the TV's) have struck a deal with Samsung Display to produce TFT's for them in order to shrink down MicroLED to 88" and 77" TV's.
    In exchange Samsung Electronics will sell Samsung Displays's new QOLED panels in a new range of tv's.

I'm in the market for a new TV myself, but wondering if I should wait until these QOLED's appear. It may just be the store lights, but I find QLED tv black level's to be more than good enough, and way better than my 8 year old Samsung TV, so I'm really not that fussed for paying a premium for OLED.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder if the Philips has a glossy panel. Not sure if all OLEDs follow LG's example, but the glossy coating imo is what gives LG OLEDs the "wow factor" when you see it. Just hope that someone comes out with a 42" panel one day.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They still make tv's?

I know that had some the best plasama back in the day

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It has 2 x 2.1 and 2 x 2.0, same as last year, plus it does not have the latest USB ports, again, same as last year.

17. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    My Uncle had a Philips OLED TV and in less than a year there were 2 horizontal green lines burned in. He frequently did the anti burn in method provided by the TV to prevent it because I warned him of the possibility. But even though he watches a lot of soccer and the green pitch was frequent on screen, I expected logos to burn in first if any. He changed to a bigger LCD screen instead, under warranty. He didn't want another OLED TV. Hopefully they really did improve in anti burn in methods.

18. Richard Nutman

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    [​IMG]

hmm ill stick with LG for now :p

but really I'm glad another company is getting into the mix. Hopefully it drives the cost of these panels down. I'd like to see some infinite contrast computer monitors at reasonable sizes as well. Give me a 32-35" OLED 4K @ 120hz or above with HDR and I'm onboard. I don't even care what the price is.

I've had my OLED since 2017 and I play tons of games on it. Leave it on randomly overnight, etc. I still don't have any burn-in. So idk if it's something LG is doing to prevent it that philips doesn't or maybe he just had a bad panel - dunno but for the first month I was kind of obsessed with avoiding it now I don't even worry about it anymore. Newer panels/TVs supposedly handle it even better.

I'm honestly at the point where it's so much better than LCD/LED/Etc that I'd rather just spend $1500 on a OLED and replace it every two years even if it does burn in.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    tunejunky and Redemption80 like this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    One of the things to do (to reduce burn-in, not to stop it) is to leave the TV in standby mode when not using it, because it has cycles to offset.

But they all have burn-in, according to Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG and so on and so on.