Pheom II 965 BE.. wrong decision?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lambchop, Oct 16, 2010.

1. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    A few months ago my MB,ram and cpu all died...long story as to how it happened, but i had to build new computer from scratch with limited budget and worsening withdrawal systems. I don't know if i should, or maybe im simply moaning for the sake of it. But do you think i should have waited an extra month or two until i could afford an I7 and motherboard? The phenom II 965 BE i got in a great deal along with the M4A87TD EVO motherboard, it was an extremely good deal actually that at the time i couldn't give up but i am now annoyed that it may not be long until i have to upgrade again because of how much faster people say the intel I7's are. Do you think the phenom II are as terrible as people say? I do not benchmark so points in vantage etc are meaningless to me... i game, surf, watch blu-rays etc The most important aspect of the cpu to me of course is in regards to gaming. Did i make a mistake? I would have had liked to have had a system i didn't need to upgrade for some time, i did overclock it to 3.8ghz which will push it's life forward a bit more. Thoughts?

Cheers

2. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    no.. if u'r not into benchmark then its not at all a wrong decision, if u'r satisfied with the performance on gaming, movies, or whatever u do with the system.
    i myself gonna get 965 BE soon.
    imo 965 would last another 2 years.

3. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    You're being overly paranoid, and you shouldn't listen to all the Intel hype. Your cpu is great. 3.4ghz is good and solid and will be more then plenty@ 4 cores to handle anything out right now and whats yet to come for a couple of years at least.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Naah, it's good. Ofc if you play on low resolutions, then it will be bottleneck. Small overclock and it will be fine for few years because the bottleneck in most games is gpu (at 1920*1200 etc).

There are games like X3: Terran Conflict which is single threaded and needs high clocks to run well. GTA4 is also quite cpu heavy, but it just needs quad core cpu.

5. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Its a great CPU, it will last you atleast few years yet

And it also has decent overclocking potential, spend 50 dollars or similar a good aftermarket cpu cooler and paste and it will run stable and quiet at 4.0ghz with just a simple multiplier OC :)

But truth be told theres really not much need to overclock that cpu (yet anyway), its great as is.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No problem with the 965BE, hell, I run a Phenom II 810 @ 3 GHz and it provides great performance. Sadly, Starcraft II isn't really multithreaded (supports 2 cores max), and when there's like 300 units on screen duking it out, it just make my system crawl (drops frames to about 21FPS). If it supported quad cores properly, then this issue won't exist.

Other than that, all my games run on 60 FPS, and if it doesn't, it's because of bottlenecks in GPU.

deltatux

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    PII 965 is a great CPU and will last you at least 2..3 years, the only thing that make me upgarde to a X6 was 1080 movie compressing. i7 are good no question asked but not good enough to justify >50% more $$.

8. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Thanks for the replies, right now i play games at 192x1080 so im guessing it relies more on GPU. I do have an aftermarket cooler and it is possible to get the phenom to 4ghz, but i don't like how high the temps go in prime...still stable but still too high for my liking. My specs right now are

Phenom II 965 BE @3.8ghz
    HD 5850 @850mhz core (have another HD 5850 in cupboard but not using in my rig currently)
    6gb DDR3
    700W GamerXstream PSU
    Windows 7 64bit

I just hope it will do me for some time, i don't mind playing games without AA if im getting bad performance, but i prefer to be able to max all other options.

Cheers

9. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    wow.. really? you think your computer sucks? I had a 965be c3 at 4ghz and it rocked my socks. I just wanted to upgrade because I run vms.

Getting bad performance? What games give you bad performance with a 5850 and a 965 at 3.8ghz? The only game to give me bad performance was metro2033 cause its coding ****ing sucks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    well the core i7 is faster. but its not worth upgrading to.

people will say its faster with video editing, but ive done video editing with a 965be before, it runs smoothly with no issues. no point in anything faster.

people will say i7 is faster with encoding, but this is kinda pointless since most new encoding programs will offload the processing to your GPU anyway, which in most cases is faster. heck, even the latest adobe CS5 supports ati stream.

most cad programs support ati stream (although most will need to softmod to take advantage of it).

people will argue that the i7 is better for games, but unless youre playing at 1680x1050 or lower, theres no notable benefit. and unless youre running dualfire 5850s or greater, theres no bottleneck to be concerned about.

so i'd say stick to your 965be. its a good cpu and will last you a while.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    your cpu is fine