Phenom TLB disable still in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Valagard, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Just don't run the patch. The TLB_Disable.exe isn't permanent, just reboot the comp and it automatically is reverted until you run the TLB_Disable.exe again

Yukss: Thanks for confirming what I have been saying. People never believe me when I point out that Microsoft is still applying the TLB patch even with CPU's that have the TLB error fixed

2. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    Valagard, it's not that I don't believe you, I guess the patch does something for some people, as you seem to get differences with and without patch. It just doesn't do anything on my PC. Here's a screenshot to prove it...

[​IMG]

Any test I run stays the same.

3. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    so for what i understood.. i have to disable TLB every time i turn on my pc ?

4. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i have to say you are wrong mate.. at least in my case.. because i restart my pc. did the same test (without aply the disable pacth), and the results were the same than before restart

5. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    This thread is so confusing I have no idea what's going on. People making claims, counter claims and others counter claiming the counter claims.

So, can someone explain what's going on, because I just see exaggerations.

6. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Vista sp2 here, I just started the TLB_Disable tool and do nothing, it's stuck at working, I think that would work on older mobo's but not on mine and I'm positive that 955 has no more TLB issues:3eyes:.
    [​IMG]

and below is my usual everest bench score:banana:
    [​IMG]

and Chrystal CPID do not read the actual CPU data, it sees no overclock which is again weard:3eyes:.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    So..... should I apply this fix or not? I'm gonna have to check my BIOS for TLB enable/disable options. I remember saw it somewhere in my BIOS.

8. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I don't have this option in my bios anywhere, so I guess thats why the TLB disable patch works for me

I guess its up to if your mobo supports disabling the patch or you let windows do it

Just for the record, I disable the TLB patch and I get a huge performance increase

9. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    I don't have BIOS setting for it either and it gives me no boost whatsoever.

But I can confirm that after restart the registers are reverted to the values from before the patch.

10. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Huh, now the TLB_Diable.exe tool seems to be doing nothing after reboot

I re-checked everything, and now TLB_Disable.exe does nothing at all, perhaps I had just some programs open that were influencing my 7-zip results, along with memory and CPU benchmarks etc

Updated the main post that started this to reflect this note of changes, I guess I was wrong

11. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    TLB i hate you.

12. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Actually, you should love the TLB. It makes the CPU run faster. Depending on the memory behavior of your program, you could see a 20% performance gain by utilizing the TLB.

The performance penalty is due to the TLB being disabled by Microsoft. The Translation Lookaside Buffer is used to cache virtual addresses for quick translation to physical addresses. Ideally, the TLB caches the most recently used memory locations allowing extremely fast translation of these memory locations.

Essentially, the mobo BIOS, AMD patch, or Windows fix disables the TLB. Because of this, every load/store instruction will result in a TLB miss, thus forcing the CPU to walk the page table and manually look up entries in order to determine a virtual address's corresponding physical address.

This is slow for several reasons: first, the main memory is slow (much slower than cache) and low latency. If that part of the page table isn't currently cached on the CPU's data cache (L1, L2, etc), you could waste hundreds of cycles simply loading the block consisting of the table entries into your data cache. Also, scanning the table entries and manually constructing the physical address incurs an additional (though smaller) penalty.

All in all, if Windows is incorrectly applying the TLB-disable patch to all Phenoms and PhenomII processors, that would be BAD. If it turns out to be the case, any future fix would mean most benchmarks are invalid.

I've already emailed AMD, and I'm waiting a response.

It might explain why my Athlon II X4 620 @ 3Ghz runs nearly as fast as my Phenom II X4 920.

13. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    As seen here, it's a valid case for some people, and not valid for some, including me. That app that disables TLB patch changes the registers indeed, but there is no perfomrance impact for me whatsoever. Maybe the MoBo must include the feature, or it depends on specific model od CPU? Who knows.

14. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Some motherboards come with an "AUTO" setting for the TLB-Disable setting. I think setting this to "disabled" would be the safest way to guarantee that TLB-Disable won't be turned on.

Scouring through the AMD forums, there are some users reporting that running AMD Overdrive inadvertently turns on the TLB-fix as well.

FWIW, my system does NOT have the TLB disabled in the BIOS. I'll investigate to see if Windows applies this fix as well.

15. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc

ok men good info, thanks.. my bios actually have this option and i already disable the patch tlb erratum.. i think this is the correct name.. so i "shloud" be fine rigth ?

16. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Should be, but if you are seeing dramatically different benchmark scores (5% or higher) after applying the software fix that disables the Microsoft fix, something is going terribly wrong, and both AMD and Microsoft needs to be notified.

17. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    check this:

[​IMG]

and also check in page two(2) and you will find some bench i did aplying the patch and not aplying the patch..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  18. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Affirmative, have run AOD before. Now however it freezes my PC everytime and I have to hard reset.
    It's way too easily accessible IMHO (TLB registers) so basically OS can modify it and some apps as well, so you don't know in which state it is...

19. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    I got 1,460 KB/sec in winRAR benchmark. Is this mean that TLB allready disabled? I still have AOD installed though I'm not using it anymore. You can see my spec.

20. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    You must run it as the admin for it to work, that's why your not seeing any info.