1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T processor review
    We test the AMD Phenom II X6 series processors today. A 289 USD Phenom II X6 1095T Black Edition processor all of the sudden can compete with say a quad-core Core...

More...

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    yep, as expected. If you already have something like a 955 or 965, then I would say stick with it unless you do alot of other things besides gaming. If you dont have a quad however, then the 1055T is the best $200 thing out there?

3. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    love the review,excellent job.

4. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I like these chips, its a shame that gaming wise they don't have the edge and overclocking them seems to have next to no increase on games but thats not what these chips are geared for. ATI Stream will be great with these chips and 4.1Ghz on a budget air cooler is just AWESOME! I really want to be over 4Ghz and with either of these chips it'd be easy as hell. Im tempted to say the least.

5. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Was I reading the charts faultily or something? You say that in Sandra the 1090T performs poorly, yet it is second only to the 980X when Overclocked...? That's a massive price rift for close performance.

Also, personal opinion as well:
    At this point, pretty much everything is GPU Limited in FPS cap, and if you're at the point where the CPU starts to affect the game performance, then you are already so far above the 60+FPS barrier that the point becomes moot. Games just don't stress CPU's enough at this point for them to be a major impact on gaming.

OH, and 30*C?!?!?! I don't IDLE at that! Let alone load! *Should have waited to buy that...*

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    My interpretation is that a lot of these threaded benchmarks seem to love taking advantage of Hyperthreading also, which is why we see 4 physical cores and 8 threads giving the AMD x6 (with 6 threads) a good run for their money when it's at default frequencies.

Still, it's a nice chip for the price (a very excellent price)

7. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    Stukinit - yeah I agree with you totally, for a fraction of the cost you can get in some cases close to the 980X performance. And in terms of games the i7's only seem to perform better at 1024 and 1280 resolution which none of us game at anyway. Anything 1680x1050 and above will yeild much closer results when comparing even the 980X with the 1090T while overclocked.

What I would have liked to have seen was how the 1090T performs next to an i7 920 both overclocked.

8. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    not bad , not bad at all. for the price I would seriously consider it for a build.and ive never had an amd cpu.

9. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Great review :)

I'm kind of disappointed that all the games were GPU limited except at 1280x1024 or lower. However, that's still kind of nice to know. You might want to include some RTS benches in there since those tend to demand more from the CPU than FPS.

10. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    @enmity - Yes, that would be a very good comparison, for the same price who offers better perf. (Oh and they're the i7930's now, 920's have been all but phased out.)

11. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    lets wait for the Crosshair IV review and see how these chips handle multigpu on 890FX :)

Edit:

ah yes its the 930's these days, thats what we need to see.

12. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    Supurb review thanks!

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    I purchased one of these before this review from newegg. After reading this I have to say i am VERY happy with what i will be receiving. Especially for $300.
    almost getting the performance of a $1000 CPU with a slight overclock..... hell yeah.

14. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    I wasn't expecting much out of the Thubans. They're actually nice. Too bad my motherboard won't support any of them. The 1055T is a superb deal.

15. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid
    i say, do we ever have a KILLER product here! good show AMD! =D

16. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Hope to pick one of these up this summer. When it comes to encoding nothing can touch these for the price range and that's a good factor for me. For someone, such as myself, that uses my computer for more than just a gaming rig having 50% more cores will be a pleasure. Amazingly that would even be lower power consumption than my current quad (I have the older C2 140W variant). I figure I should easily hit 3.6-3.8 with it and that's perfect for me.

17. MattMan

MattMan Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 5870 1GB
    I just bought the 1090T, thanks to the review.

Gets here in two days, cant wait :)

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Of course AMD is the undisputed best bang per buck, but I really hope AMD will really improve their memory controller for Bulldozer, it looks like it's not even that good in dual-channel mode as Intel's Core i5 750.

Definitely a great product to look at, AMD's bringing hexacores to the masses and that's a win for us consumers. Of course it doesn't perform like the Core i7 980X but at the same time cost like 1/3 its price so it's expected.

I want to upgrade, but don't got the cash to, so I'm sticking to my Phenom II 810. Plus, my M3A (AMD 770 + SB600) board doesn't support hexacores, or Phenom IIs in the first place, it just so happens that it works with the latest BIOS lol.

EDIT: damn, the 1055T is cheaper at release date than the price I paid for my Phenom II 810 a month after it came out, god damn it (C$215 for the 1055T compared to C$220 for the 810)

deltatux

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  19. zigihammer

zigihammer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060
    Well, great review as always ;]
    And gr8 CPU, perfect choice for gamers.

20. loneknives

loneknives Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    great review ^^

i did not regret spending $200 on my i7 860 and still shining for a long while heh