phenom II x4 955BE temps ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chaotic1, May 12, 2010.

1. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    what should the phenom II x4 955BE ideal temps be ? , just installed a new one and the stock cooler sounded like a jet engine . i replaced it with the akasa i was using on my x3 720BE along with mx3 , the problem i am getting is that each core is hitting 59c (cpu temp reads 60c) while gaming . tried prime 95 and it hit 61c each core with in seconds , i never got these temps with an overclocked x3 720BE . i know the max temp for this c3 revision is 62c but why does it run hot at stock ? , already reseated it 3 times

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's just a hot running chip, I had similar issues with the stock cooler. I picked up a CM TX3 for cheap and it's been fine since, loads at 49C and idles at 33-39 depending on if CNQ is enabled or not.

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    should CNQ be turned on with this cpu ? , it's running at stock speeds atm till i get a better cooler . i am not using the stock cooler atm

4. freeman_999

freeman_999 Member

GPU:
    6970 2GB
    My 965 125W runs idle at 40c and around 57+c when gaming. All stock frequencys. The Stock HS and fan also sounds like a jet engine and when I check the fan speeds its up like 5000RPM dam!

I have Cool n' Quiet disabled in Bios and of course don't have the software installed because of bad experiences with C'n'Q on my old AMD64. I can't remember where I saw it but I swear i've seen benchies with C'n'Q enabled that have reduced performance. (yes i know C'n'Q reduces the clock freq :) )

I have a Corsair H50 comming which should reduce my temps and make the PC more silent :nerd:

I also believe that the liberal amount of TMP on the stock HS is probably too much but on the safe side for AMD. :3eyes:

Last edited: May 13, 2010

5. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Yeah, just a hot chip. About normal. Get a bigger heatsink to keep it down. Zigmatek makes good budget stuff.
    I use CnQ via bios with no issues. I like it because it keeps my idle temps down, and I'm anal about my temps. Never noticed a performance loss.

6. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Mines sitting at 29c overclocked with stock voltage and aftermarket heatsink goes to low 40's gaming. Im getting an H50 this week also.

7. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Mine idles around 32c and hits about 49c under full load, thats at 3.8ghz on a titan fenrir, i really reccomend that cooler, you want beat it for the price.

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    so this cpu cooler or a cpu water cooling kit is the way to go ?

9. freeman_999

freeman_999 Member

GPU:
    6970 2GB
    ^^^
    I think so I'm getting the H50 just cause I want to try water and I'm too much of a noob to get a DIY water kit. :wanker: + my PC's not really expensive enough to justify a $300+ water kit.

+ I want to OC this thing and hit 4GHZ which I assume you also want!? I don't think anyone here would OC without something far better than a stock cooler esp on this "hot" chip.

++ I don't want my PC to sound like a 747 taking off :)

10. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    that made me lol :) , i will be overclocking it a small amount but not much . i was looking at the below wc unit

CoolIT Eco A.L.C. High-Performance CPU Watercooler

not sure what they perform like though , not found many reviews

11. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ^^ i looked into that myself, i read its similar performance to the H50, most high end air collers will keep up or beat the H50, but if you want quietness and a clean looking case the the H50 or that may be worth trying.

12. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    whats the differance between the v1 and v2 of the titan fenrir ? (apart from the price lol)

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    stock cooler and mx3 thermal paste. ~35ºC idle and 62ºC on IBT maximum load.

Altho i have to clean it each 3months xD.

ingames i wont go past 55ºC. No game uses cpu at 100%.

14. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    does the noise the stock cooler makes not put you off ?

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It certainly drove me crazy, I had it replaced in not even a week.

16. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i did not last an hour lol before i put the akasa on it which i used on my 720be

17. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    the V2 titan is PWM controlled.

18. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    according to below so did v1 , this has been up a while so it is incorrect ?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-008-TI&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

19. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    yeah should be ok.

20. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    stock coolers were never meant to cool the chip at 100% load as its not a real world issue. there are very few if any cases where youre cpu would be running at 100% load.
    that being said if you are getting temps approaching 60c and you're not overclocking then at the very least i would get a better cooler. you should be able to prime95 load test the cpu and not get 60c.
    second thing. what are you using to monitor the temps?