Phenom II, but which chipset???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by PilGriM54, Jan 9, 2009.

1. PilGriM54

PilGriM54 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 5870
    Well I am going to change my mobo and cpu...
    One thing is easy: Phenom II X4 940 BE, but chipset - I am on crossroad!

AMD or nVidia?
    AMD 790FX/SB750 (Asus M3A79-T Deluxe) or nForce 780a SLI (Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI)?

I will overclock the cpu, so which choice is better and why?

Thanks guys!!!

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    personally, i'm an nvidia chipset fan, however, the AMD 790FX has a SB750, which has ACC, nvidia is supposed to get ACC soon, but dunno when that'll be, so for what i can say, get the AMD chipset if you want the highest overclocking you can, as i dunno how the Phenom II overclocks differently between having ACC and not

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm not so sure on nVidia getting ACC - this is a proprietary link between hardware components both owned by AMD. If you've got some link to any information on that, I'd be all eyes - I'd love to check that out.

@ Pilgrim: Personally, even if you stayed with an nVidia card forever, I would still go with a 790FX Northbridge and a 750 Southbridge (790FX/SB750) motherboard.
    But, under the current circumstances of AMD's future path, I would actually wait it out - the even newer Dragon 45nm Phenom 925 and 945 are only a couple months out, which means that your brand new AM2+ system will be completely outdated almost as soon as it hits your doorstep.
    Technology is moving at such a high rate of speed anyway, that you're almost outdated as soon as you get it as it is, but with the 925, 945 and AM3 literally right around the corner, I would wait this out - worst case scenario is that the AM2+/940 combo will decrease in price, best case scenario is that you've saved enough to upgrade to the AM3/945/DDR3 combo!

That being said, if you've *got* to do the update now instead of 2 months from now, then I highly suggest the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe. You're never going to SLI on this board, but it will run 1 nVidia card just fine, with the ability to run 4 ATi cards if you should choose to do so.
    The beauty about this board is it's overclockability...it's the best board on the market for overclocking the current gen Phenom X4...

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Psychlone

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

5. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Don't worry about acc, its not working with the phenom II's yet. So if you really want to get a 780a board you should be fine(not knocking the M3A79-T just had mine get to the house yesterday). But it would be a smart idea to wait for the ddr3 train with amd, the system would have a little more longevity and it might be a new revision then, hopefully.

The cpu's themselves are very good though, lowest someone's posted hitting in my steppings thread over on xtreme systems is 3.7ghz with the 940. I have mine at 3.8ghz on stock voltage, but that's more than likely because I used the vapochill with it.

6. PilGriM54

PilGriM54 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 5870
    After reading your posts and reading that the AM3 cpus can work with DDR3 and DDR2 maybe I will wait until then. For sure the stepping will be better then...

Anyway, my thinking for the chipset will be present even then: I like nForce a lot, but guys like you with experience with AMD chipset is changing my mind :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Last nforce chipset I used was the 590sli with the original crosshair. Both the 780a chipset and the 790Fx chipsets are very good. I know that the 780a is much better at htt overclocking at least from what I've seen done. You don't really need that though with what you're doing with the 940.

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ exactly, especially given any Black Edition of AMD CPU where the upper multipliers are unlocked.

On that point, you've got a juncture to cross - if you've got the BE edition CPU, you can raise your CPU cycles easily by simply increasing your CPU Multiplier, *or* if you don't get a BE edition, you're stuck with dropping the CPU Multi, putting your RAM on a divider, dropping your NB and HT, and raising the FSB to make it all back up - and I've seen the best overclock for individual systems go both ways, with some having more throughput and higher bandwidth via CPU Multiplier increase alone, while others show more bandwidth via the FSB increase method.

Phenoms are a different beast altogether from the older X2 architecture...

@ Aura: Thanks for the link - I've never researched into nVidia getting access to ACC, so I do appreciate the info!

Psychlone

9. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Multipliers are giving me trouble though, booting at the 18x multi and above makes AOD think my htt is set to 250 and everything gets screwed up. Not sure what needs fixed to get rid of it, but I'm trying right now by booting in at stock and using AOD completely to overclock. Removes most of the nuances that I deal with because of my vapo.

10. PilGriM54

PilGriM54 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 5870
    I hope I will have $$ for black edition just because I want to have BE, if no that's not a problem...this will be my first cpu after A64 and A64 X2, so I will need some time to learn to overclock Phenom...

For now I am 50-50 for AMD-nVidia chipset...AMD OverDrive is looking to be great OC utility. Is it good, or BIOS OC is still the only right way?

11. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
    Well I have great experiences using it so far. Its a good way to be lazy. However it varies from users which I have seen. Overall as long as you you keep eyes on temps you will be good either way although bios may be little bit more time consuming.

12. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    AOD is helpful, but you can't set voltages higher than 1.45 with it for the vcore which is a hindrance. My cpu is currently priming at 256x16=4096 @ 1.5625v set. Multis higher than 17.5 are a no go for me right now, probably just need a new bios to be released to fix that though. I'm back to just using the bios because of the voltage thing, if I want to up the htt I freeze the system using AOD.

13. PilGriM54

PilGriM54 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 5870
    @Aura89, Psychlone, OldGuy932, Blackwing

Thanks for the input guys...I made my choice for the chipset - AMD

and for the cpu - I am waiting AM3 Phenoms

So I will ask my questions then

Regards
    :rock: