Phenom II 955 Black Edition ---HOT!!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Thefilmcritic1, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Thefilmcritic1

Thefilmcritic1 New Member

GPU:
    Saphire 6870
    Hey guys I got this cpu about a year and a half ago and Im not really big into overclocking or anything but this runs hot real hot I'll give you the down low

so my rig: gigabyte mobo (not sure the model about 6 months old)
    saphire 6870 GPU (month old)
    1tb western digital HD (2 months old)
    6gigs of DDR2 3x2g (1yr and a half)
    Phenom II 955 Black Edition 3.2 Quad CPU (1yr and a half)
    Stock Cooler
    2 fans 1front and 1back (push and pull setup)

And what happens it runs idle around 56-65c and under load it get really hot 78c-80c now I have no ieda what the hell to do is it just my heatsink? I dont really want to spend 40$ on a cooler master if its not going to help maybe a faulty cpu? Ive been running this for 1yr and a half and it hasnt burnt out or cought on fire yet lol what happens I record games and what not for youtube and I play alot of different games MW2 being one of them and I play for like 5 mins and as the temp climbs it gets more lagged down no bluescreens just lag it drives me nuts do you have any tips or anything I can do ? please help I might be picking up a new AM3+ mobo and 8gigs of ddr3 and Ill pick up a new heatsink aswell but do you tihink my cpu is still Salvageable:banana::banana::banana:

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Tell me you haven't been running your 955 like that for a year and only now decided to do something about it?...:3eyes:

What QFan profile are you using and how much vcore? What do you measure temps with....?

Those temps are extremely high.. TjMax is 72c from memory so the CPU is prob throttling.

Looking at your idle temps my first hunch would be the HS/F. Should be idling around 35-45c dependent on cooling and vcore.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Those numbers seem normal to me for a stock cooler. My 955 ran like that for the first 2-3 weeks then I replaced it with a CM Hyper 212 plus. Now my temps NEVER go above 40c.

Edit: Don't be a cheapo either, a Hyper Master would run you 30 for a base model, and 45 for a top of the line model. Both options are really going to make your day, I promise.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    80c is nowhere near normal.

And your CPU never gets above 40c? You must mean at idle of course...there's no way that could be loaded temp.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what temp monitor program are you using?? is that the cpu temp or individual core temps??

6. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    have you cleaned your fan and heat sink?

i have a zalman performa and mine 21c @ idle,the stock cooler ,even on mine, on standard clock hit 40c.

7. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nope I mean it, really my CPU idles around 24-26c and in game (black ops, borderlands, etc) never really climbs over 40c, it might hit there for a second or 2 but drops right back down. Also my ambient room temp never goes over 65F, and I have an arsenal of case fans. Antec 900 with all the factory fans plus a 120mm scythe fan on the side window. I also have aftermarket cooler on my GPU that could be helping with the airflow I suppose.

Edit: what I meant before was the 50c mark seems normal for a stock cooler, I guess I missed the part where he said he was hitting 80c, cuz that is not normal at all.

Double Edit: I use CoreTemp for my CPU monitor, and have verified that it is is accurate to +/- 2-3c with a digital laser thermometer.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  8. Portman87

Portman87 Member Guru

GPU:
    NITRO RX 480 8GB
    Check in CPU-Z the Revision C2 or C3.
    Revision C2 runs hotter and overclock potencial is lower.

9. taimat

taimat Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790 @965/1190
    IMO, 56c-65 on idle is way too high. what is the temp in your room? it is recommended not to let your cpu run above 62c. did you check the thermal compound on you cpu? i suggest that you re-apply thermal coumpound and re-seat you heatsink and see if that makes a difference. :)