Phenom 2 Hilbert Review

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Blackwing, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
    Just got done reading the review and I felt it was rushed. I wish Hilbert included 9950 be in the review and compare it oced 3.0ghz to the phenom 940. That would give good idea how the old and new archeiture compare clock to clock. He also when comparing the tdp stated that the Phenom 9950 has a 140 tdp. The newest rev is 125 and the 140 w is being phased out.

I also would have liked him to throw 4870 variant in the mix with the gtx 280.
    That way it would give a full idea of what the dragon platform is all capable of.

ok done with my rant . . .
    Do you agree or am i asking too much ?
    :3eyes:

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I might look into some clock-for clock stuff once I have a little more time. It's been crazy here with all the NDA articles. Fact is that the Phenom II clock for clock will overall be faster.

As for the choice in GPU, I stricktly use a single GPU based graphcis card to prevent driver issues. The next thing you want to do is then to take the fastest single GPU based graphics card available. And that does not matter wether it is AMD or NVIDIA based.

To date the GeForce GTX 280 is the fastest single GPU on the planet, that's why it was used.

3. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
    @ Hilbert Thank you kind sir

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I do have one question after reading through the article. It appears that in some tests the PhenomII 940@3.8ghz is faster than Core i7 920. I'm assuming these are tests that don't make use of hyperthreading. Would I be correct in that assumption or was I missing something bigger? Overall, wonderful article as usual. Really making me rethink my upgrade path. Was looking at E8400, E8500, Q9300 and Q9400 as possible replacements for my Q6600....but quite honestly, the PhenomII exceeded my expectations according to your article.

5. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
  6. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'm just glad that a simple cpu replacement will be like an entirely new system!

The Anantech and Tom's Hardware reviews are pretty open minded as Hilbert's but the Xbit Labs review must have been done by Intel.:biggun:

It's like we stated a few weeks ago, AMD has hit a solid price versus performance mark with the Phenom II. Still playing catch up but they are certainly on the right track.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I think the review is excellence and I'm very excited about the new chip which should give Intel something to think about. For the people who would spend the money for the Core i7 or even the Quad to Extreme (which is over a grand.. lol), the Phenom II is faster than the QX9770 and so much cheaper. I told my cousin who had just upgraded to a E8400 with a Geforce 260 (216) card and he was rather jealous about the new AMD chip. While I didn't really care much for the original Phenom, I think the Phenom II is going to do very well and I hope to get one soon myself.

Later!

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    so the FSB is 2000 ? (4000 mhz in total), i thought they were going to be 1800 mhz (3600 mhz in total) ?

9. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Yes, the northbridge and the ht link are meant to run at 2ghz stock.

10. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    i meant the ht link is 1800mhz ? , that different than this says

edit : yes my mobo now supports these cpu's :banana:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009