1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phenom 2 965 server

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by LordSoth, Jul 28, 2019.

1. LordSoth

LordSoth Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    Got an old AMD PC kicking about and wondered if it would run OK as a gaming server. Going to be holding a mini Lan for about 15/20 gamer's and thought to use this as it just sits there and gets dusty and that's about it, so why not put it to use.

Phenom 2 965/ AMD FX 8350 CPU
    8 gig ram
    128 SSD
    Biostar A960D+ AMD AM3+ Motherboard.

Would it run game servers for like Quake live/3/4, Left 4 dead 2, age of empires 2, half life dm/AG etc and wold the max amount of players it could do before running into trouble.

Thanks for any feed back.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    What OS? Do you plan to use the integrated NIC?
    Every server should have a dedicated server grade NIC, for all the reasons. That's the theory, don't shoot me for saying it.
    But it's understandable that you use what you just have.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Should be OK. I would prefer FX 8350 as last thing any server wants is to share work threads on same CPU cores.
    For given task I would undervolt+underclock a bit due to such system still eating "a lot of" energy.

That server grade NIC @anticupidon mentioned. You are still going to get under 1ms ping on LAN with integrated. Bandwidth is secondary. And players joining from internet will have much higher pings due to infrastructure in between and not because you have some 100/1000Mbps NIC. If it was old and had some trouble with packet loss, that would be different story.

For light servers like you mentioned, I would presonaly use one of old laptops with i5 I have hanging around. Those are rather power efficient solutions.

anticupidon likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I find server needs to be more powerful. Im using Xeon x5690/24gb ram in mine. Was hosting some UT servers. More cores and more ram the better but efficienty is going out of the window.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    @Fox2232 yes, I was more concerned about bandwidth, no about the ping time