Perrformance benchmarks: Radeon Crimson Driver December 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Wierd others are showing in they review even 9% gains , kinda funny to se 0 gains here

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Couple of fps gain is expected. It probably depends on the system used. Api overhead is improved but you cant tell when HH is using oc'd 5960x.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What that tells me is that some other sites used older results sets. E.g. took old results and then started testing ReLive. As explained in the conclusion, some of the games have been patched over time and (can) react differently in performance. Take for example Deus Ex, there's a massive gain in perf up-to 10% to be found with the latest patches.

However in this article all drivers have been tested with the latest patches installed. And that is the grand equalizer as only the perf differences in drivers will now be visible (and not the game patch improvements or even decreases). Also we have less API overhead due to the processor used. So DX12 perf increases could be a bit more normalized in our result sets because of that.

5. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    That's why I ALWAYS wait for a proper tests\review, and do not believe marketing slides.

A pity though games from marketing material (Ashes of Singularity in particular) didn't appear in this test.

6. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

Hilbert, since you are using the reference 480, is it still throttling with 16.12?

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Thank you for this overview and strict methodology.

AMD have been doing great with RTG the past year, very impressive. Hope to see them gain popularity in the market with their increase in features.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Great review, and thanks for the explaination Hilbert!

Even though there's hardly any mircale gain here, I think it's great that AMD's driver work has greatly improved in the recent past, something that can't be said about Nvidia.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I totally agree, AMD has been spot on aside from mGPU though.

10. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Any chances to test other GPUs?

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Seems AMD focused more on improving synth benches than the games. 10% Time Spy.

12. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Whilst I do agree there hasnt been much FPS gain, I would be interested to see FCAT tests per driver as certain games do feel smoother (eg Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.) Any chance of seeing those? In any case great review thank you Hilbert.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That actually was on my to-do list, but I just simply did not have the time anymore. The results shown today already took two work days. Once things settle down (hopefully in January) I'll probably revisit the driver article with some frame latency results as well.

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice read Hilbert , thank you. Hilbert if possible , can you in the future include a racing genre game in your gpu benchmarks please ? Motorsports Forza Horizon 3 or Need For Speed 2016 , something along that line of the racing genre as a lot of us are into it and crave performance information on this type of game genre , appreciate the hard work. Thank you in advanced.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    January?

Isn't that when the CES event is and possibly also more details from AMD on Zen and Vega so it looks like the start of the new year will be pretty hectic too. :D

Unsure what Intel and Nvidia are planning, there's some rumors on the upcoming z270 motherboards I think and recently also rumors on a x series Skylake and Kaby lake and the x290 motherboard for those as I think was posted somewhere here already and for Nvidia it could be anything from the supposed 1080Ti to something new entirely.

Anyways time to read up on this article, nice to see a comparison. :)

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe that's true, but mGPU has become a foster child everywhere these days, not only for AMD but also Nvidia.

17. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    I upgraded my Windows 10 to Anniversary Edition to correcto some bugs with this driver