Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    BF:BC2 only, I copied and pasted my post written in a BF:BC2 forum, I should have be more specific in here, sorry.

Hmmm I don't think so, DirectX 2D enhancement (Aero) go through DWM service.

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    No, like I said I used to consider it. Nowadays I just take it for granted.
    There, I fixed it for you. :p
    I'm sorry but could you rewrite this sentence in English please? Yes, data persistence is a complex matter in J2EE.
    Database servers are what makes Diskeeper 2010 truly shine.

Diskeeper 2010 runs almost intantaneously so 3 days is almost 3 days too much. I don't care how fast those defrag tools are because they slow the system down as soon as they start defragging and that's simply unacceptable to me.
    LOL!! :funny:

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @TruMutton_200Hz

Well, everyone likes what they like. Not gonna place argument here again just said 'my personal opinion', but try it some time remove diskkeeper and it's services and compare
    my method I was trying to refer to and judge then the end results as in do 1 decent set and then judge the over time usage.

and I do stand behind the last 'LOL' you gave me there is no way you can optimize an SSD. :)

-edit-

Now that I truly did read what you wrote. O my god I disagree with your ideas so much, heh, just had to say. I see our opinions on the subject
    separated like night and day, heck, I bet I could fight on this subject for a month and still not agree (""some"" Correction: ) None of above.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok I found why this happen now, PunkBuster crash your computers because of GENUINE in-game overlays. So until they fix this (I hope they will), disable any in-game overlay you have.
    Tested to freeze/crash my system:
    I can run all this thread tweaks with no crashes if those three overlays are disabled.

Other in-game overlays you should probably disable (untested):
    • Eva Precision
    • RadeonPro
    • Mumble
    • TeamSpeak
    • X-fire
    • Anything that can supersede over the game visual/graphics
      [*]

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Seem PunkBuster hard lockup issue is deeper/bigger than just removing overlays to fix it, still getting freezes with minimal/ultra clean untweaked Windows 7 x64.

Refrain from using "+fullproc" and Process Lasso Gaming mode, it look to me PB have big issues with threads prioritization.

6. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    I have Process lasso running on my system and I have no problems with PunkBuster. But if I change the PunkBuster process to lower priority it kick me out of games.

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Disabling that service says that it disables also windows audio. So no audio if i disable that. And i tried cuz i disabled it yesterday cuz it didnt seem to do anything useful to me, then on next startup, no audio.

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    MMCSS is a bit lost cost as that is actually pretty good thing sceduling between hardware. We can't really turn Windows 7 back to XP entirely (it turns
    to Windows 98/ME before that), but if we could get rid of some parts of MMCSS this would be helpful. I haven't seen such as of yet, but I wonder, if an
    all configurations based to MMCSS would be collected through registry/global policy/prompt/(and how it's scaled through diagnostics) could there be way to alter the MMCSS functionality.

Wonder since Von Dach has probably a lot of documents on the subject would there be something found of controlling of/over MMCSS.

9. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    As Von Dach posted remove audio dependencies and then disable MMCSS.

10. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    On overclock.net JF-AMD has stated many a time old drivers should not be removed when installing new ones, new drivers should be installed over old ones. He says there's no difference between modified and unmodified drivers. He also says that a lot of problems arise from using Driver Sweeper. Following his advice I have started to install drivers over each other and never experienced a problem.

I don't know whether you're familiar with JF-AMD, but just to be clear he's the AMD representative on those forums.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    JF-AMD says a lot of things...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yep, worked like a charm here.

13. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    All right, thanks.

lol

14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    The newer version of Driver Sweeper its pretty good. It doesn't give me the problems with older versions. So I use it now with combination of TwL cleaning procedure and batch file.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE

16. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks to post this in, I'll add it to OP for sure!

17. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Updates:

Disable Intel Hyperthreading
    This is a controversial tweak with some conflicting results. Keeping Hyperthreading enabled and disabling Core Parking / optimizing Power Management (see Windows section below) is probably a lot more beneficial.

Check your LCD monitor (physical) settings for best pixel response times, ensure you have a good overdrive technology

Enabling AMD LCD Overdrive can reduce input lag on certain LCD panels
    (Even if preview image fail to load, you can still enable overdrive, just click cancel for preview)

Disable Core Parking Windows 7 Tweak may improve performance
    You can show those hidden processor performance settings in your Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\Advanced Power Options this way:
    • First if you applied above registry edit already, set the ValueMax again to it original value: 00000064, this is REQUIRED for the current solution to work.
    • Now re-open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00
    • Export a copy of this selected branch as safeguard
    • Navigate the subkeys, switch the "Attribute" value from 1 to 0 for every subkey you want to appear in Advanced Power Options.
    • The key ones you probably want to view there are:
    • 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "Processor performance core parking min cores" SET IT TO 100% so no cores will park.
    • 3b04d4fd-1cc7-4f23-ab1c-d1337819c4bb "Allow Throttle States" Off
    Processor Power Management in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 docx should be read before finicking too much with those hidden settings. Additional infos.
    I uploaded for you guys the latest pwrtest.exe from Windows Driver Kit Version 7.1.0 so you can check your own cpu spec with the command "pwrtest /info:all": Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    A last warning: don't disable Processor Idle, this will only increase your cpu temperature, wear & tear and energy bill without performance gain.

If you look into Performance Monitor (Start Menu> Search), you'll see some IPv6 interfaces hooked to your real running network adapter(s).
    Disable IPv6 tunnel adapter & interfaces

By the way, if Performance Monitor report you some performance counters are disabled, open a Command Prompt (Start Menu> Run> type "cmd" or Start Menu> Search type "cmd"), type "lodctr /r" to refresh/re-enable them all.

Disable unused network adapters and IPv6 related interfaces in Device Manager, tick "Show hidden device" in Device Manager View tab to show them all
    Disable all ISATAP, 6to4 and Teredo Tunneling interfaces

I reached the 40000 characters post limit, so I'll start a separated thread for BF:BC2 specific tweaks

18. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    great thread...i've done more than half of these tweaks...and i feel my strong pc even smoother...that's an answer for ignorant people who believe tweaking pc is not a good fact and a must solution...thanks von, for your time posting these...

19. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I reinstall OS on C (format it) but left disk D. Than I just delete folder of games.
    Does disk drive D get fragmented this way when deleting games folder and leaving files that I need?
    Will this way OS remove all registry of games I deleted ?

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ^ Fragmentation is caused potentially, by adding new files after having deleted unwanted files on the same partition. Ohter potential causes are: increasing the size of existing files after having added new files on the same partition, adding new files after having decreased the size of existing files on the same partition, and adding new files / increasing the size of existing files on the same partition "simultaneously more than once".

The Windows registry is a file. If you format a partition, all files are deleted from it so yes, the old registry and everything stored inside it is gone.