Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    All are for Win7, most for Vista, some for XP, few for 98, maybe one for 3.1, none for DOS.

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Do i need to do all this **** in safe mode?

3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    no safe mode needed

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    This is what i did,

1.Uninstalled Graphics Drivers via control panel
    2.Reboot
    3.Driver Sweeper
    4.CCleaner Slim
    5.CCleaner Enhancer
    6.Auslogics Registry cleaner
    7.TweakNow PowerPack 2010
    8.Wise Registry Cleaner
    9.Wise Disk Cleaner
    10.CCleaner Slim(second time)
    11.Installed new graphics driver but it failed
    12.Reboot
    13.Driver installed successfully

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Did you first check for reverting to the most basic Standard VGA or WDDM 1.1 in Device Manager? That could be the explanation for first fail.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Yes, i always check that.

7. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, I'll edit the procedure then, I just tested this with AMD driver and it work also good that way.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    you can check your current situation in cmd

type in: netsh interface tcp show global
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574

the easiest way to set it is with speedgude optimizer (like on the picture below)

now the next easiest way for "NetworkThrottlingIndex" is with windows 7 manager >> network tab (do not limit bandwidth), someone said it screwed TF2, by me it was the opposite this setting almost eliminated those micro stutters.. also that option enable Large window TCP support enables time stamps so dont enable it, instead use speedguide for it, also that Enable patch MTU discovery is so so, im testing it again atm, but i found its best disabled for steam - TF2,..

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
    "TcpNoDelay"=dword:00000001

can be enabled in speedguide, check pic (advanced settings tab)

for TcpAckFrequency if its 2 then it looks like its disabled (according to speedguide prog), first enable it with speedguide (enabled:1), save restart; now go to regedit and find that string>>hkey_local machine/system/currentControlSet/services/tcpip/parameters/interfaces/{it varies}

check all 2 or 3 reg keys and by one of them you will see this value(TcpAckFrequency) set it to 2 >> double click on this value, select decimal, and type in 2, close it, restart pc, that's it.

[​IMG]

also tweak NIC settings, like disable flow control and interrupt moderation..
    :nerd:

edit: some NIC, intel gigbit prefer flow control and interrupt moderation (mine had this enabled), it has more advanced settings for it
    http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-029402.htm
    , i would say experiment to see the difference (faster or slower net), same goes for DCA - direct cache access in speedguide program..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    [ Outdated ]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I'm gonna go ahead and let people know, if you try and run Oblivion with FCOM on 6gb of RAM with no pagefile, it's not going to work.

Good luck tweaking everyone!

11. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Set drivers and system code to remain in physical memory (DisablePagingExecutive=1)

Disable performance counters (Disable Performance Counters=1)

To easily apply the registry tweaks in this guide, open notepad, copy and paste the following codes in it and save with [the name you want].REG. Then click it to change registry, reboot.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\]
    "Disable Performance Counters"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:ffffffff
    Maximize your Windows timer resolution
    http://www.lucashale.com/timerresolution/
    Just keep this little application open in the background, reduce DPC Latency, improve responsiveness. Good workaround particularly for those who are stuck with an enforced HPET On.

I tested this on my workstation dual core who is using a lot of CPU time constantly. HPET is off.

DPC Latency is ~650us at 0.977ms timer resolution (default with my apps running).
    DPC Latency is ~190us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized).

I now keep this app running constantly in the background, everything feel snappier.

On my gaming rig, HPET On (for this test purpose only):

DPC Latency is ~100us at 1ms timer resolution (default with DPC Latency Checker running, Windows default is normally 10ms)
    DPC Latency is ~10us with some peak at 100us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized)

Entering a game normally bring timer to 1ms but you can improve it even more with this application running in background to 0.5ms. Depending the game and your system you may feel better responsiveness and less stuttering.

12. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    ^ Interesting, will try it out later thanks

13. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    Thanks Von. The DPC latency is reduced form me using the Set Timer Resolutions.

14. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    As others have already mentioned, having av on while gaming doesn't have any significant impact on game performance, mine included. And anyone with a half a brain knows how to exclude the game .exe in the antivirus if necessary. My computer is online all the time, uploading and downloading all sorts of stuff even while I'm gaming so it's good to have the av running. You probably have a very ****ty av if you have to turn it off while gaming. So exactly what rock did you crawl from under?

15. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    I wonder if that Windows timer resolution fixes frameskipping in fallout relating to

Will test this shortly!

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    For me yes Fallout is better. I didn't play for long but seems better.

17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Interesting!

With the Timer Resolution if you set maximum the frameskipping actually increases!. So again it comes down to a problem between the game engine and the tic rate.

18. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Updated OP with those and some minor others:

Disable Intel Hyper-Threading

Set Performance Enhance/Mode to the most conservative option (Standard).
    This setting can reduce fps drops frequency & amplitude particularly for SLI/CFX users. Improve overclock reliability too.

Set Robust Graphic Booster / PEG Link to the most conservative option (Auto).
    This setting can reduce fps drops frequency & amplitude particularly for SLI/CFX users. Improve overclock reliability too.

Set CPU PLL Voltage to the most conservative option (Normal).
    Improve overclock reliability.

Disable "Inbound Layer 7" in your router.
    Layer 7 filtering or shaping is identifying traffic at layer 7 (Application Layer) of the OSI model. Instead of shaping/filtering based on the port and source/destination, you are identifying a stream based on its contents. This is also sometimes called deep packet inspection since it works by looking into the contents of the packets not just the headers. If you're concerned about performance: IPP2P and especially L7 are slower than simple IP, MAC or port matches. L7 can't cope well with encrypted P2P traffic in background while gaming.

19. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I think you should add Process Lasso http://www.bitsum.com/ to the list of things to improve responsiveness since, it's made a noticeable difference on my system.

"For all editions of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, and Windows 7."

32bit &64bit versions.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm trying this out with a dual core PC.
    I hope it does what it says on the tin (without hitching any processes).

Can you tell us how it changed the feel of your PC?
    Specifically, what has it helped the most (if there is anything that stands out)?