Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I use WASAPI with all my multimedia apps. So the bits and herzs are of no importance. As for games - they live only at home rig and sound is not the main part of them. I will hardly notice diff between 44KHz and 96KHz in shooter.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Gaming audio, on the PC anyway, is only stored at 16/48 so won't lose anything by setting the PC that way.

3. nbdy_

nbdy_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 OC
    Windows update doesn't work, after applying a fix. [Win 8.1 x64]

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Use the Custom Refresh Utility to increase the refresh rate of your monitor. Even though 60 Hz is standard, most monitors can do more than that (read monitor specs). For instance, I am running my Benq GW2760HS monitor at 72 Hz.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Easiest way is to click on the item at the top right, select edit, set timing to 'LCD standard' or 'LCD reduced', and then type in a refresh rate at the bottom within your monitor specs. Some monitors can do 'LCD standard', some require 'LCD reduced'.

In any case, works great! Once set, you have to OK it, then restart Windows, then select your new rate by right clicking on the desktop, selecting 'Screen Resolution', selecting the monitor, then 'Advanced settings'. Under 'monitor' you can select your new refresh rate.

Works great :) Hey, it might not sound much, but think of it like this... 72Hz is actually a 20 percent improvement on 60 Hz for gaming.

BTW, love the flicker-free (non-PWM backlight) AMVA+ panel. it's great value!

5. nbdy_

nbdy_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 OC
    Can someone help me, please? What i need to change? :cry:

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    ..and what "fix" that is you applied..!? And what do you mean with "Win Update doesnt work"? The service (wuauserv) is not starting anymore?

7. nbdy_

nbdy_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 OC
    Windows update show error 80246008, windows update service is running.

8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    i advise you learn to use google, cos "Windows update error 80246008" giving tons of results + fixes..

9. nbdy_

nbdy_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 OC
    I tried all fixes, what i found @ google, but without success. :help:

10. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Revert to all the defaults files of the kit you used. If you still have the same problem then you done something not related to that kit.

11. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Von Dach Optimization Kit v2013.11
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/mquija

I unified, simplified the Services and Non-PnP Drivers tweaks. The same files are now safe to apply from Vista to Win8.1.

I added a lot of useful bookmarks.

Some of you may have noticed I started changing the Win32PrioritySeparation value in my registry tweak file.
    I'll explain myself about it because I think it's interesting and I developed my own approach about processor scheduling.

First you should (re)read Animatrix thread about Win32PrioritySeparation: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=1451631&postcount=10

[​IMG]

To me Windows own processes and services should always have a priority advantage over applications. But you can't change priority of the main System (ntoskrnl.exe) process, it's locked to Normal.

So my strategy as shown above is to change priority of my games to Below Normal and third party applications used while gaming like Steam and TeamSpeak to Low priority.

While playing Arma 2, Wasteland servers mostly, I was encountering very noticeable stutters driving vehicles as the graphic engine was updating the defiling world around me.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88629-ArmA-2-I-O-analysis-results
    This guy did a good analysis of this problem but I could not accept his solution.

So going from the default
    "Optimize Performance for Applications: 32 + 4 + 2 = 38 Dec / 26 Hex = Short Quantum, Variable Quantum for foreground, High foreground boost."
    to
    "Optimize Performance for Background Services: 16 + 8 + 0 = 24 Dec / 18 Hex = Long Quantum, Fixed Quantum, No foreground boots."
    AND
    Lowering every [gaming] applications to Below Normal and background non-Windows related applications to Low priority solved this specific game issue and assured best smoothness of every other games without reducing fps.

Changing priorities manually repetitively sure is too much a pain but thanks to Prio – Process Priority Saver, you only have to do it one time per process and it's saved for next time that process is run again.
    http://www.prnwatch.com/prio/

Some will say use Process Lasso, but it's not free and consume CPU resources itself while you can do the same with Windows Task Manager and Prio.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    And I say you can use my little utility. It has plugin for a long thread quantum too.

13. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Just wanna say thank you Von Dach, I'm using your tweaks and loving them.
    Prio doesn't work for Windows 8 so I am using "Process Lasso" with a slower update speed, no dynamic icon, low priority etc and it is working very well!

Please keep us updated on anything new you find :)

14. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I ran your tweaks and now when I boot my Internet won't work for about 1 - 2 minutes, whereas before I could load Firefox instantly and have a connection. What has caused this?

Oh and apparently Windows Firewall doesn't work either now, and it won't start as I get an error.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 Ti
    Very intresting, but I can't find an explanation about what the difference is between long and short quantum, and how this benefits performance in games.

Can someone explain this?

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    System Restore

17. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I have it disabled. I fixed it any way. Something in the file "Registry All-In-One - Tweaked" was causing it so I went back to default.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Good stuff, probably good idea to enable it when you're messing with tweaks like this though

19. lime

lime Member

GPU:
    For all we know, Arma2 has a ****ty engine.
    I kind of understand a few things, but i have a few questions.

How does this work on a game based on the Valve Source Engine?
    I think it's pretty well optimized due to the fact that most gamers do use Windows. Don't you think that these developers / games know about the 'limitations' of the OS, writing workarounds for that and that this may have the opposite effect? Just a thought.

There are also many players like for example in the CS community that do have the "-high" commandline enabled for the game exe, so it gets high priority. It may be placebo (Probably it really is. :D) that the game feels more responsive to my actions in there with high priority. I do not gain more FPS due to that, which may be the reason for people with fully garbaged systems to use that and see a good effect in that because they have like millions of background applications.

So let alone that Arma2 stuff, what about the responsiveness with your settings? I'm talking about competitive gaming where every ms and every pixel matters. Not some slow-paced game like Arma2 or a run and gun game like COD. CS 1.6 was the king of competitive gaming and no game had such a great skill curve. Easy to learn, hard to master. CS:GO is the next step but it is also far from being that great. But enough of that, i think you get the point.

So why should a background service do get higher priority?
    Players who know about CSGO do also use a command : cl_forcepreload 1
    which forces the game to preload the entire map while loading, so there wouldn't be any hiccups and i am sure that this is not the only game. ;)
    I'm not trying to attack you, i'm just interested if this may be a way to eliminate some factors so you may get a advantage. So in case if i have 300fps, forced to 128fps and due to that i can hold it constantly, playing against another ME (hypothetical ofc) with the same fps / aim and all. BUT he has high priority for his game. We see each other, hit the exact same pixel of us. High Priority have to be the winner, right?

I know there are many more factors like for example network connection and such, but let's just assume that it isn't.
    Or should we? Because if something like network does get higher priority in the system it can be useful as well. But in the end, it may not even change anything at all and it all stays the same because if network priority is high, the game can't be that high and then it's all about 50:50 again. Hypothetical.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    It all goes to thread scheduling in Windows.
    But
    doesn`t mean giving the background services higher priority. It does mean 1 - no boost for foreground apps, 2 - lowering game app priority to give more processor time to system services, and 3 - lowering not-Microsoft apps priority to lower their intervention.
    All that can give system services more processor time.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014