Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Very pretentious from you to think your comment worth 2 cents...
    Damn I thought people of your kind have all migrated to Facebook...
    You play PC games with an USB console controller don't you?

Sorry but not sorry, I refuse to live in Kiev.
    http://whenyoulivinkiev.tumblr.com/...pporting-the-taxi-drivers-opinion-on-politics

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^All his posts are worthless..... Just ignore him everyone else does.

3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm very fine with that, ignore me. Have a nice day.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure Pill Monsters post was aimed at yelsewshane, not you Von.

I myself find this thread to be extremely helpful and very much appreciate your hard work.

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Lol, he definitely aim for me, you can review his posts in the 2-3 first pages of this thread...

He probably ruminating his vengeance for the last three years and he think he have an angle of attack with yelsewshane post.

Kiddoz trying to kick me in the legs. :cool:

Edit: (Well maybe I'm wrong, he have to clarify it. It's GTFO or I hug him, whichever. lol)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. Ezreal

Ezreal New Member

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-X 3GB
    I still get FPS drops, only in battlefield 3 for some reason.. any other game works absolutely fine. this is so strange. and it started only since I applied those tweaks. :fuse:

7. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I will check if I have those drops myself in the coming days but that will be very surprising. Just revert to the included defaults.

8. amatiramisu

amatiramisu New Member

GPU:
    Corsair
    Agreed. Von Dach is just hilarious.

His tuning is just based on some old tricks
    by the formula "Disabling = Performance"

Given the fact that most modern OS are doing it by itself this is all just pretty useless.

Still laughing because he thinks that disabling Performance Counters is the way to go, but he doesn't know that disabling them is just disabling the access to them. They are still working in the background, they will just be ignored. Proof ? There was even a post about this in the past on some famous webpage (it had an tuning article)where a Microsoft developer did comment about that. Same thing, couldn't find it, but you could ask a developer for yourself if you don't believe.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/...ed-performance-counters-and-exctrlst-exe.aspx

So, lets see the registry "tweaks".
    Disabling Autorun? - No impact on the performance.

TCPNoDelay - lol - First of all, most fast paced internetgames do use UDP. Some MMOs like WoW do use TCP (and it will have positive effect on the ping because some "stability features" of TCP are disabled) but that's a whole other story. Most likely it will cap your internet speed if you are on fast broadband connections.

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices - "Show all in device-manager" - Maybe just to "disable" or "delete" the unused ****, that's not really in use anyway.

Disabling pagefile - It can make your system snappier but if you are doing other things on the computer like video encoding (x264 and co.) or working with Adobe programs it can lead to unstability. Besides that i've never seen any FPS gains by this. But i could understand the users, who wants to disable that.

DontVerifyRandomDrivers - A server parameter.
    According to MSDN : The driver verifier at random intervals verifies drivers for debugging. Disabling this functionality might improve system performance. For many high-throughput systems, every CPU cycle counts.
    One of the more useful tweaks, in theory.
    Practical there is no such high-throughput in gaming systems as in some intensive databases servers. It will work a lil bit different with the cpu cycles
    and TBH, the drivers wont be verified all the time, and again and again.

CountOperations - Same thing as before, it makes practically no difference because the amount is so small it just can't provide any benefit for non-servers. You must have a workload of like 110%, same as the upper tweak.

TBH i'm tired to teach you all this stuff. There is so much bull**** and myths going on with this, it's just ridiculous. Disabling IPv6? Why would you do that on an normal clean working system? No need, because it's not in use usually. Besides that, it is needed for home-network access.

Disabling Coreparking is one of the most useful things in all this, but even that is not a fact. To tell you the truth, i have most power management modes enabled and within my applications and games, there is no difference for me. But i know some hardware do have problems with that, same thing as with HPET but that is another story too.

Same thing with all the services. Most of them aren't even in use while gaming. In fact, this entire collection just ****s your systems ability to keep itself clean up and it will get slower and slower. And if suddenly a problem comes up you'll have to try a lot to find the cause of this because it doesn't give you the logfiles of errors anymore. They'll still be logged, but not saved, or shown. So, no performance gain, most of this is just bull****.

But do whatever you all want with your systems. Keep it clean and if you ever use a fresh format, don't use anything of this. In fact you should feel for yourself that if you use this on a clean system with updated drivers, latest updates and so on that your system isn't clean anymore. Instead it's just ****ed up with some half-wised myths from a wise-ass clown who is insulting people for telling the truth. Absolutely no need for this. Go play some Call of Duty 10 or Battlefield 8, (with your hidden usb gamepad controller pls.)

Wannabe. I could do this all day long with all your tweaks and whatsoever but
    even the first ones did make me lazy and tired. Ridiculous.

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Oldie but goodie

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    My 2 cents:

Applying all these tweaks from a kit is a dumbass thing to do since they could make things worse or better.

Better to use resource tools and what not and figure out what's causing sluggishness or problems and then use these tweaks to resolve some of them.

11. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    "Wise-ass clown"?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what? Don't use them, I do it for myself first and foremost, it work good for my gaming computers and my workstations needs.
    I provide it to whoever want to try it and modify it for their own needs.
    If you don't like it, think it's rubbish, in part or totally, just modify it, revert to default or don't try it at all. I don't care.
    I'll still do my things and update them with time. New additions and interesting critics are welcome.
    I'll keep dealing with them in the manner I feel appropriate in a case by case basis.
    :boozer:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  12. nixon

nixon New Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    Does this
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games]
    "Scheduling Category"="High"
    "SFIO Priority"="High"
    "Background Only"="False"
    "Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000
    actually do anything?

The link mentioned earlier in this thread ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms684247(v=vs.85).aspx ) makes it seem like some of those changes won't affect anything because the values aren't even used.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Only works if Multimedia Class Scheduler Service is enabled. From memory it's meant to keep videos running smoothly on a laptop/tablet etc when downloading from the internet at the same time.

With a 2500K I think you can safely disable the service and let processes use their default priority.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    My problem is, even at work, that to many people are applying to many damn tweaks not knowing what the hell they're really doing.

These tweaks are useful, but it's better to do some research because in some cases a single tweak can make things worse or better.

Better to look up a tweak you have made and FIRST look at what it does and then decide whether it's a viable tweak to use rather then applying it without thinking.

That's why I like your tweaks but I'm not a big fan of a "kit" that is automated.

Those are my 2 cents, it'll make people smarter at using a PC too. When tweaking stuff, know WHAT you are tweaking.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I pretty much agree.

I also think people who use these tweaks should do their own research too, and not just blindly d/l and apply. my 2c.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

16. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    No it don't do anything, old tweak I will remove from OP someday.

I fully agree with both of you.

Not all those tweaks improve performance, some affect behavior of OS and make ME more efficient.

Some tweaks reduce security while some others close vectors of attack.

But for me, after my own researches, it is my preferred balance (i mean the kit).

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super

Some of them used only when an application asks the Multimedia Class Scheduler Service for its support. There is special API for that.

18. nixon

nixon New Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    Could you please explain the 16 bit, 48000 Hz part that is suppose to improve network to cpu prioritization. I clicked it and read the article but they didn't explain why setting to that would improve it.

Also I know you haven't updated the OP in a long time but it would be nice if you did considering some places still reference it and you've done some additional stuff since then including some Win8 stuff.

19. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

Unless you got a dedicated soundcard... then forget about cpu utilization for audio.

20. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    It's an old tweak and with current CPUs it's almost un-measurable difference in performance.
    In fact personally I set it to 24 bit 96000 Hz.

I'm a lazy ass and updating this thread have a low priority currently in my time allocation.
    But I was working to put all the tweaks in Windows in a visual way.
    It's still a work in progress but here we go:

Windows Settings.png
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/5jgg4u

I can also give you my last kit, updated for Windows 8.1.

Windows 8-8.1 users MUST create a Restore Point before applying the tweaks in the kit because some dumbasses at Microsoft removed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 registry key.
    So there is no "Load Last Know Good Configuration" in Safe Mode anymore if something go wrong.
    Don't apply "Non-PnP Drivers - Tweaked Win81.cmd" if you are novice, the most dangerous tweaks are there.
    Don't forget to restore Non-PnP Drivers defaults and Services defaults before updating a driver or you are guaranteed to need a system restore or complete Win8 re-install. (Win7 is fine...)

Windows 8(.1) have zero fault tolerance and an hell to recover (when recoverable at all).
    Personally I'm back on Win7, the ~5% Win8 gaming performance increase don't worth the hassle to re-install it so often for user behaviors who were fine under Win7.
    I have been able to tweak it to my satisfaction, in a reasonable time trials/errors mode, thanks only to VMWare Snapshots who I needed to use at every corner.

Von Dach Optimization Kit v2013.10.7z
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/f39kq1

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013