performance paranoia

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Mr.Procrastinat, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

Hello, everyone

Before you ask--my username was supposed to be "Mr.Procrastinator" but looks like I pressed the wrong button and it went "poof". Now, regarding my actual question:

I have recently upgraded my system from the ground up, and was prepared to enjoy the blazing framerates in games that this system should have afforded. However, I've been noticing that the games I play tend to have bizzarely low framerates in comparison to what people with similar systems are getting--sometimes, the games are even stuttery. An example of this would be Thief 3, where on an outdoor level, I can't get more than 30 fps at maximum detail, 1024x768, without AA or AF. Same is true for GTA: San Andreas, where I get about 30-35 fps while driving, and even lower--about 25-30 when there is a lot of onscreen activity. I have all the latest drivers for my soundcard, as well as my videocard; there is no spywares/viruses on my system, my drives are defragmented etc. My 3dMark05 score is 5220, which is on the lowest tier in comparison to similar systems. Again, this isn't just an isolated case--the low fPS problem persists through all the games I've played recently. My system details are below:

Pentium4 3200 oc'ed at 3500
    1024 Ram (Kingstone, but don't recall the frequency..223, I think)
    Sound Blaster Live 24 bit
    ATI x800XT PE 256 mb running 5.8 catalysts
    Windows XP SP2
    500Watt PSU
    P4P800 Deluxe Wifi Edition mobo

I've recently upgraded my PSU from 300W to 500W, thinking that maybe the video card was starved of power--but it didn't help at all. I've also ensured that the RAdeon is connected correctly--with the additional 4-pin connector. Any help would be appreciated regarding a)am I hallucinating and my FPS's are normal for this system? b) If they aren't, what should I look at to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for the help--sorry if this post is similar to the one below, but our specs aren't the same so I decided to post separately.

2. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    your 3d05 is a bit on the lowish side,but that's prolly because of the pentium cpu.
    The thing with video drivers is that you make certain settings,but in game these settings usually gets override.So make sure AA and AF is really off in those games.
    also don't stare yourself blind on others 3dmark scores,most ppl can produce these scores,but with tweaked drivers.
    With those drivers it's not immidiately noticable that some settings are lowered,thus higher benchmarks.
    The 5.8 gave me higher 3d05 score,going from 5300 to 5600.
    But i returned to the 5.7 since image quality seems better and my games ran virtually the same in speed,but i had some fps drops in farcry with the 5.8.

So try to see if you get better scores with other versions.

3. Deepdish

Deepdish Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 320 SLI
    Which parts did you upgrade exactly? Was it everything? And did you install a fresh copy of xp when you upgraded? Great specs btw but something is wrong with your fps in those games. i haven't tried thief 3 but GTA i know you should have no problems on.

4. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I upgraded my motherboard, my harddrives, my video card, my PSU, my soundcard, my speakers and my DVD-R---basically I almost bankrupted myself:)

The one thing that I didn't upgrade was my memory...I just took apart my PC and checked the type of RAM I have installed, and I have 2 256 mb Kingston Value-Ram blocks (it doesn't say the frequency on them--any way to find out what it is?) and a Kingston 512 block. Could these be causing a bottleneck if they are older, lower-frequency ones--and what sort of performance boost would I get if I were to get DDR2 memory instead?

Re: your other question--yes, I did a fresh windows install once I noticed the crappy fps--no luck at all improving them.

5. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I looked on the internet and it seems that the RAm I have is of the obsolete, SDRAM variety-- and I wonder if this may be the source of my problems. It definetly seems CPU or memory-related because I get very low 3dMArk CPU scores (the flying-ship demo runs at 1-2 fps) and fps-drops happen in games when there is a lot of proccessing going on--e.g. when being chased by cops in GTA, even though there isn't more happening on the screen than usual. I'm going to buy this RAM module tommorrow--"1GB DDR2 533MHz PC4300 CL4 KINGSTON BOX"--it seems to be a good deal between speed and price--and my MB, the P4P800E seems to support it. Any opinions on whether this may solve my performance issues--or whether I should save my money and look elsewhere?

6. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 16GB
    If your motherboard is a socket 478 variant then you won't be able to run DDR2 memory.

Your memory IS DDR memory but having 3 sticks means its running in single channel mode. This could be hampering your cpu. Try taking one of the 256mb sticks out.

7. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I tried various combinations of my available RAM modules, and here's what I get from 3dMark05 and a Thief 3 demo:

256 +512=5500 35fps

512 5700 39-40

all 5480 35-36

512 (256+256) 5500 35-36

256 5500 35

Strangely enough, the combination with the Kingston 512 mb module seems to be the most effective one. I don't know if this means that my bottleneck is the result of mismatched memory (because they have different frequencies), but I'm going to buy a 1gb Kingston module later today....are you positive that my MB can't support DDR2? If that's the case, what memory frequency/type should I get?

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Definitely, because you’re running your older RAM from your last system, the new system will not support DDR2.

Also, in early posts you mention installing the latest sound card and video card drivers; but you didn’t say if you installed the latest chipset drivers.

9. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
  10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 16GB
    IF you are running mis matched speeds with your memory then the memory will only run at the max speed of the slower ram.

(if you run ddr400 and ddr333 then both stick will at ddr333)

11. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Those scores sounds about right,you need additional tweaking to get higher.
    Ow and the flying-ship demo from 3d05 is on my systems also around 2fps for cpu testing.Nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  12. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I made a trip to the computer store today (I've been going there so often lately that they should treat me to coctails whenever I come in:)) and got 2 sticks of PC 3200 RAM, 512 mb each. Came home, with baited breath installed them--and there is a small, but definite improvement. With 2gb of RAM, (4x512), my 3dMark score is 5950 with standard video drivers, no overclocking. My fps are about 5 points higher than they used to be in games--I still think these scores are subpar for my system, but at least I can play without too much frustration now. As to the question from one of the previous posters--I didn't update my chipset drivers--I didn't realize that was required (wasn't it just sound/video/MB bios?). I'm going to look up the chipset model now (I recall it's an Intel something or other) and see if I can download software for it-I'll tell you how it goes. And thanks a bunch for all the replies that you've been writing--they were a big help.