Performance boost for most games.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, May 11, 2014.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Different OS's may affect the effectiveness differently. It may crash less with Windows 8.1?

It may be the case that this will be the default for Windows 9 and to use small pages you will need to run the game in compatibility mode.

2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    This is the source of this tweak:
    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177454-a-simple-registry-tweak-for-increased-performance

So if you encounter an executable file not working with it, it may worth a try to edit the image file header like written in that link.

CFF Explorer http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

I added this tweak to all my executable files with no adverse effects, including those basic Windows executables:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\audiodg.exe]
    "UseLargePages"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\csrss.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dllhost.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dwm.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\lsass.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\lsm.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ntoskrnl.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\rundll32.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\services.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\smss.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\sppsvc.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\svchost.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskeng.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\wininit.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\winlogon.exe]

3. WittyScreenName

WittyScreenName Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire r7 260x 2gb
    Those seem rather specific to be applied to a broad range of applications,at least too much for me.

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    gonna finally give this a try, I got the program in OP working fine, thanks all and especially harkin. :)

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    tested with WD but couldn't see any improvement, though I have it pretty good right now with 337.88 drivers, I struggle to get stuttering at times even when driving, cpu upgrade helped me out.
    tested firestrike physics test, loading time was quicker but I scored 100 or so points less.
    firestrike extreme 9523 with oc in sig. with this app 9425

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This tweak mostly benefits stream-heavy games like Arma.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah or some that are very cpu bound with crappy streaming, for example it made a huge difference in The Secret World, while in Rift it ran worse.

Its a trial and error, I usually test it only in games that have some perf. issues or stutters, i dont use it by others if they run fine.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    ok thanks, mbk1969's utility is very handy so it's appreciated all-the-same. :)

wd actually smoother for me without this i noticed.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Got a little less drops in BF4 but got out of memory errors.

Going to disable it until I get 16GB RAM.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The LargePages option is only relevant when a PF is present.

On systems without a PF, it does nothing. Just like the Paging Executive tweak will do nothing.

Oh btw..... applications must support large pages also, if an application does not have the ability to use large page memory, then Windows will act as if the large page memory does not exist.

Hmmmm......out of memory errors anyone? :p

11. srbo

srbo Member

GPU:
    4Gig
    Largepage doesn't work with Guild wars 2 on my system. Iam using windows 7.
    Has someone more luck?

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350

You can always download more ram. /sarcasm

13. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    when i add the a game to the list than i always name it like for example:darksouls2.exe.is it enough to add just the darksouls2 without .exe to get it work?

14. harkinsteven

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes.

15. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    so it"s not working if i adding .exe at the end?
    thanks

16. harkinsteven

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Apologies, I misread what you asked. You need the .exe, for some reason I thought you were on about file locations.

17. kazegaz

kazegaz New Member

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 5730
    Working for me

Just registered to post that this tweak works on my laptop
    ASUS A42JA ( Yeah old sturdy one )
    Game : Alliance of Valiant Arms ( AVA )
    it's an Online FPS game btw.

After I applied the tweak,

I'm no longer experience sudden freeze ( unresponsive for 1-2 sec when face to face with the enemy and then it's just a matter of time to know if my character or the enemy died ) when encountering enemies !
    I Shall frag more ! hahaha :roll::roll:

Thanks for the tweak. :cheers:

18. sfektsz

sfektsz Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB
    Does opening the .exe itself, change 'UseLargePages'? Also curious to see if anyone tried this with CS:GO.

19. ravens nest

ravens nest New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280 3GB
    I have just registered on this forum just to thank everyone who posted here especially harkinsteven for bringing this utility tweak to everyones attention.

I have used the AUTOPAGEUTILITY (Thankyou Cyberdyne) to alter a few games of mine and it has made a massive difference.

GTA V stuttering gone (My son now runs it on ultra on a Xeon e3-1230 v3 with a R9 280)
    Batman Arkham knight (was a stuttering mess, now quite playable)
    SKYRIM remastered (Major juddering problems gone on two PC's)
    SKYRIM (Small stutters reduced)
    Fallout 4 (Major juddering reduced)
    Dead rising 3 (Smoother gameplay)

I even tried it on older games
    Flatout 2
    Sonic transformed

Every game i have tried has become smoother and sometimes faster.

Thank you everyone :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  20. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Has anyone been successful with this tool and able to map the executable to a windows app? Mainly interested in this and Forza Horizon 3 specifically, as it may help many users who are having bad performance. If I can map to the win app .exe, hopefully it can stabilize Ultra even more at 4k and help out with more frames at even higher res. I keep getting access denied when I go to the hidden app folder in program files folder.