People upgrading in 2016, what device will you be getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980Ti
    Keeping my Xperia Z3 for a while longer. Sony's support has been good and I've only owned the phone for a year n few months.

Before the Z3 I had the following Nexus devices - One,S,4,5 and also a HTC Legend (Tiny little thing that was)

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    Can upgrade my phone in about 3 weeks if I want to... tempted by the S6 Edge+ (no note 5 in the UK) but might wait it out for the new phones later in the year.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    "Best phone OS" is a matter of opinion. I've used iOS (limited), BB OS8, BB OS9, BB OS10, Android, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. For MY use, they're all equal.

Most of us want a phone that "just works" though, which is a problem that only Android seems to have. It's rare for iOS or Windows Phone to have stability issues, unlike Android. Also, unlike Android, carrier bloat isn't a problem for iOS or Windows Phone. No need to void the warranty on the phone to remove carrier bloat either. If Android was done properly, you wouldn't have to root the phone to remove all the bloat they come with.

Apple has better support than any manufacturer selling an Android based phone. Product support has always been an issue with Android phones and will continue to be. Unfortunately the same can be said of Windows Phone since MS isn't showing any real interest in the platform.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    IDK what stability issues u had, but the only stability issues i had with Android cause by too much undervolting.
    While apple support is vastly superior, and that actually the worst part of the android platform, too much defragmentation, Android can is vastly superior in terms of customization, root that give u access to everything, and large numbers of phones to choose from, but i can understand why u left android.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Microsoft will have to actually deliver the product before anyone gets excited.... They've done a remarkable job at destroying Windows Phone since it's release. They promised that every Windows Phone device would receive 1 major OS update....and then backed out of that promise. Windows Phone was supposed to be supported by MS without carrier intervention, and then they turned things over to the carriers. The entire platform has been damaged by Microsoft's mishandling of it. The phones are solid. The OS is solid. Now MS just needs to step up and support it properly. A change to Intel mobile processors would be nice. For me, it would be an incentive to buy, if the product gets to market in a reasonable amount of time. I don't really expect MS to take the mobile market seriously yet though, since they haven't shown any real signs of doing so to this point.

7. DrDoU

DrDoU Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS
    Droid turbo 2

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Both WP7 and 8 have received major OS upgrades.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They've both received minor "upgrades" based on version numbering conventions.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    8.0 to 8.1 was major upgrade (especially from developer point of view) and added quite a few features. Also the minor upgrades added some nice features too. 7.5 and 7.8 added rather many features. Those single core phones that ran WP7.X just were not powerful enough to ran WP8. WP8 devices should start receiving Windows Mobile 10 soon.

Overall I'd say that they have handled updates quite well.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Not all WP7 phones received the 7.8 "upgrade"..... From the research I've done, very few seem to have actually received it.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've just ordered a brand new in the box Nokia 808 PureView!

It's not to replace my current smartphone but simply to use when taking images and videos...

I'm impressed that this device, even though four years old absolutely pisses over anything else.

Nokia back in the day was the best of the best and this device is sadly one of the last ones made until Microshaft bought them over. Since then it's gone downhill.

In good daylight, the 808 actually performs just as good as a high end SLR camera.

Impressive hardware...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Id either get a LG G4 or 5. Anythings better than my LG L90 tbh. It would be nice to have a top model this year for a change.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I went from iPhone 6S Plus to a Nexus 6P. Man I'm loving the new nexus! There's hardly anything negative I can say about it.

15. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Is that really a 41mp camera? Or am i just being dumb?

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It's the real deal.

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Also, it has the biggest sensor, far bigger than any current smartphone.

In fact, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S7 is rumoured to have a larger sensor than current phones and is still only half an inch in size.

The Nokia 808 Pureview is one and a half inches in size!! Effective megapixel count is actually 38mp. It really is a beast.

When compared to a DSLR camera, it actually matches a 21mp Canon 5D Mk II SLR. Detail is superb and noise is almost invisible due to the large sensor and excellent image processing...

Of course it cannot compare to an SLR as it has not got interchangeable lenses, excellent high iso performance, high shutter speed, etc.

However, for simple image quality of the same subject/object, you will not know the difference.

In a review in GSM arena, it was compared to a high quality compact camera and even a Canon 5D Mk II SLR. It was said to match the Canon and for a camera phone, it's impressive.

It also has a proper Xenon flash far bigger than any current smartphone and even uses a mechanical shutter!

For a smart phone which came out in 2012, I'm still amazed it is still the best with regards to photography and no one is even close.

Nokia was the king of smartphones back in the day. I'm really sad they were sold to Microsoft. I've had many Nokia's in the past including the famous 6610, N93, N95, N90, N97, Communicator, E series, etc...

Hopefully they'll return in the near future, they sure know how to innovate and build quality/software has always been fantastic.

I'm using the Sony C5 Ultra as my main phone but have recently ordered the Nokia 808 Pureview from Amazon UK. The original price was £600 when released in 2012. It is now £150 brand new in the box. For what it is the price is great.

Just to show you the capabilities of the 808 Pureview, check out these sample pictures a professional photographer took with the phone. You'll think they were taken with an SLR. All I can say is WOW:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vladoo/sets/72157647381783088/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  18. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Bloody 'ell thats awesome. For a phone camera thats coming on 4 yr old its incredable.

19. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yeah I loved my old Nokia N8's camera and that was a lot worse than the 808 but still miles better than most smartphone cameras now.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm with you on this, but I will likely be sticking with my 6+ this year.