People upgrading in 2015, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The one's purchased on blackberry's online store has already received their first update. AT&T is pushing out the update December 7th along with any other retailer that is participating in that update promise thing that was mentioned.

People have also been mentioning about the PRIV getting hot as well. The apps update coming December 14th is supposedly going to be fixing the HUB issue and integrating Whatsapp notifications into it.

over $700 usd for it is a bit steep when better Android phones can be had, that can be rooted, for that price. May pick it up depending on how much the price drops in May or June of next year.

EDIT: Once Marshmallow is offered for the PRIV, granular permissions will be back; something BlackBerry always had.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What do you mean by that? My alpha has a little meh battery,.. Can't get battery upgrades anymore, just some custom makers and im not to fond of that :nerd:

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    so u sya not to replace NOTE 5 with PRIV? Roger that :)

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It depends how you like to use your phone. If you like loading custom roms, the PRIV will never accommodate that. Marshmallow was confirmed to be released for the PRIV but when is anyone's guess. Till then I would let the PRIV be in the hands of crackberry addicts. Unless you really want a physical keyboard.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Note 5 should get marshmallow in this month, i think either end of this week or next week.

6. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Guy at work got his Microsoft Lumio 950 today, lovely little device and Windows Hello (Iris scanner?) works very well even though its still listed as Beta.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  8. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I was impressed with how microsoft synced everything settings wise to his new phone so he didnt really have to do anything to set it up.

Another Win Phone user at work says hes going to get the 950 XL so will be nice to see that too.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    What about Htc A9. Seems good. Man too many choices.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Horribly overpriced (600 € and you get midrange speced phone?!?) here in Finland at least. Like 300-350 € too much. Something like Honor 7 would be much better value (costs half the price with superior specs).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    HTC produced the worst phones of 2015, while Sammy in my opinion did the best together with xiaomi and Huawai and google.

If you eager to buy something now, i would choose out of the following: Note 5, Nexus 5X or 6P, MX5 Pro.

HTC and LG did the worst, LG V10 is kinda ok, but G4 outside of amazing camera, is a mediocre device at best.

12. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Adding to the above list Sony Xperia Z5/Z5 Compact is nice for Android, Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL if you like Win phone.

Honestly though id wait for next year and Qualcomms next chips to hopefully make up for the 808/810 problems.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    ok staying out of HTC A9. red one was stylish but NOEP then.

Z5 still waiting a patch for me. a better finger print scanner, and better battery life ffs.

14. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I read Marshmallow might be due late December/Early Jan. Hopefully Sony will use Googles fingerprint API then and battery life may improve too (Doze etc).

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    and heat pls. it is HOT. Really HOT.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's hot because that's how you will get marshmallows.

17. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Id not count on much change for that if you're doing anything intensive as the 810 is just a hot chip when using its power. If its hot when doing bugger all then id say return your phone or check XDA to see if its common.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Rude. For Liberty!!!

returning phone isn't a way of thing here. nearly impossible. i better sell it before prices goes down too much. damn.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just bought a custom 2200mah battery, lets see how it goes. :nerd:

Normal 1860mah managed max ~6.48hr on screen time, usually 5.45hrs or so.. The biggest "tweak" was to disable automatic brightness control (that slider -5 to +5).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is at lollipop 5.0.2, even though its apparently more battery hungry. Can't wait for marshmallow :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  20. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Actually, I've had more time with it now (still no overheating AT ALL). The camera, in decent-good light, is darned amazing for a phone camera. In low light, as with all phone cameras, quality suffers, but it is still better than most other phone cameras out there.