People upgrading in 2015, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is the battery life poor? Because of the endurance rating? That's like the worst metric for measuring a phones battery performance.

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Got my Note 5 on Sunday.
    Awesome phone.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Seems like I did not spam here...
    Galaxy S6 Edge. Battery is fine, edge screen is nothing extra, but I have use for it. Performance is superb.

4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    They are fast.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Thinking about jumping ship to one of the new Nexus phones or a Motorola.

Love my iPhone, but I do not want to be confined to an older OS because of the jailbreak/root situation. I WANT MY POKEMANZ ON MY PHONEZ

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    No-one getting the z5? @vbetts Motorola def got my interest as well..

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I would if Sony properly sold it in the US.

Already bought a 6P instead. If the screen sucks I'll return it though and probably find a international Z5 and get it brought in here.

I just bought a SP4 too.. spending too much money =X

8. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm eyeing the Lumia 950 and the Display Dock. That's one area that MS has an advantage over Google/Android and Apple/iOS. Ubuntu Touch has the same capability but no phones using it yet.....or even available to most of the world.

10. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yeah it sounds good to me too, i'm tempted with the XL but will wait to see what they are like in store when released and reviews of the XL and its 810 to see if it still has throttling issues.

11. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    First they try to turn the desktop to a mobile device and now they're trying to turn a mobile device to a desktop. Make up your damn mind ms!
    But to be honest in the mobile world it comes down to apps and windows has a very long road ahead

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With Microsoft's "one platform" movement, they can easily overrun Android and iOS in terms of useful apps, if executed properly. Having a mobile device that pulls double duty will give developers more of a reason to support it. Right now, most of the apps on Android are "me too" type apps. If you were to only count unique apps on Google Play, the count would decrease dramatically. Being a strictly mobile platform, Android is pretty limited on what it's really capable of doing. There is actually very little missing from the Windows App store compared to Android and iOS, and that list is getting shortly. An advantage to Windows Phone/Windows for Mobile is that the carriers can't force their prefered apps on you. Windows allows all apps to be removed without the need to risk voiding the device warranty.

Every mobile platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. Android has customizability. iOS has....well, a forced user experience and the illusion of simplicity. Windows has performance and simplicity. Ubuntu Touch has, well, it's Linux in all it's glory (modified for mobile).

13. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well I never said that its a bad os, I actually like it quite a bit but you cant honestly sit there and tell me there is barely any difference in apps and quality available. I also can't argue about the bs that is forced on android phones (freakin at&t worst of all) but not sure where you saw an iphone with anything carrier on it. Even apple branded apps you get to choose to install or not at setup. Even facebook isnt preinstalled
    I do like it tho and the phones look great, I just don't even find them remotely worth it atm. Just an opinion and i hope it does change soon with the arrival of 10.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I didn't say that iPhones had carrier crap on them. But it's a severe problem with every carrier locked Android phone. If you buy a "budget" phone that's carrier locked, you're lucky if there's any room to install your own apps once all the carrier bloatware is loaded. I bought my wife a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit. It had 4GB storage. With all of T-Mo's bloat loaded, it had less than 1GB left for her apps, music and pictures. Fortunately it had an sd card slot. T-Mobile likes to force "Lookout Antivirus" on users....and I don't trust it at all. The company that produces it didn't even exist prior to Android being launched....

My only issue with Windows Phone won't be solved any time soon as MS has no intention of making the UI customizable.

15. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Sorry you're right, i misread that ios part. You also wont get any argument on non removable crapola on carrier android phones and even unlocked phones. Its really a kick below the belt not to at least let you remove anything you don't want on a device you own outright. Foolish to argue with that or use the "but you can disable" excuse

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Gotta narrow it down a little more; At least to which os you prefer. And those the only choices?

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm waiting for MS Lumia 950/950 XL. The camera is incredible but need to wait for the OS to stabilize with SP1 :p Its just too bad it is probably the last great "Nokia" phone until Nokia figures out how to get that 40 MP camera into another phone.

If it can open/edit my office documents on the go, surf the net, call my clients and take great pictures, thats all I really need. I don't watch movies or play games on mobile.

My PC is my game/movie station.

18. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yep that's my thinking lately too, android is great but the lack of timely updates on anything but Nexus is a pain and apps can and do crash randomly and at annoying times. Im hoping Windows will be more stable.

My only annoyance is Googles lack of apps for WinPhone as I do love their services for Music/Books. Been slowly uploading my music to Onedrive for Groove to use in case I make the switch.

19. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Choice is clear then but you don't really have to go all out on a 128gb

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unless your phone doubles as a camera or media player, most people can get by just fine on a phone with 16gb of storage.