People upgrading in 2015, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lollipop on the Note 4 (non edge) basically did nothing for the performance for me. It still lags during animations and scrolling around maps is clearly like 10fps.

Samsung needs to get it's **** together when it comes to the jank that touchwiz brings.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I haven't used Touchwiz since...The s3! I took it off maybe about half a year after getting the S3, and on the S4 I didn't even touch Touchwiz!

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    At first lollipop for note edge was good but again lagged bad. Had to format all data. Now fresh device and acting better.

I was thinking to go with 6 plus but no pen to sign stuff. Damn

Anyway for now note edge acting good. Why it gets worse in time don't know.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Just unplug the fast charge of note edge, and th4 phone is like lagging and like running 100 Hz. Wtf is problem with this phone? My charger or the phone itself? I needed to reboot the phone =(

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm seriously considering the Asus Zenfone 2 now. I want to see a few more reviews and maybe hold it in my hand. I'll probably wait a month to see if much development happens too. I need my AOSP.

Still, such a good price for being off contract. It's down to that or the new nexus, and who knows what Google is going to do now. N6 was a huge disappointment for me.

6. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro
    If I had to upgrade this year, I'd wait to see what Sony has in store for its 2015 flagship.

The Z4 is just an iterative evolution reserved for the Asian market, and Sony is expected to launch something different in the next few weeks/months.

7. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Got the HTC my9, love it speakers amazing. :)

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    What's the scoop on the ASUS ZEN phone???? It's only $299 and unlocked. Is it any good?

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I already took the plunge and bought the Sony Xperia Z3, couldn't wait for the flagship.

The Z4 was recently released in Japan, however, it's hardly any better than the current Z3.

I will keep the Z3 for around 6 months or so and go for the flagship once prices go down...

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I finally found a phone that was worthy of me upgrading to.. Not a top of the line flagship, but I've used the S6 and the s6 edge, the M9, and iPhone 6 here in my office (being the admin has its perks ;) ) and none of them really wowed me.

So yesterday I ordered the huawei p8.. 5.2" HD screen, SD card slot, works on Canada LTE frequencies, close to 2700mAh battery, nice thin body that isn't too large in the hand, 13mp camera, octa core CPU... All for hundreds less than the current flagships without sacrificing that much in the way of features or performance.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

11. Blacklac

Blacklac Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    Just ordered a Note 4. It was basically that or G4. Note 4 just seemed like a way nice looking device. Coming from a Lumia 1520. I just didn't feel like waiting til fall for a new Windows Phone flagship. I'm on the AT&T Next 12 plan, so I'll be good to go on the 2nd Gen Win10 devices, which should be a Lumia 1020 41MP device successor finally.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  12. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i just got a lumia 535, i really dont understand how can this cheap phone have soooo many features, its crazy, not for gaming doe, and on bight sun the display can be very weak. but aside from that is all good.

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Just ordered a Note 4 last night to replace my Note 2. Friend needed a replacement phone and I've been looking at getting a new one. Timing worked out great and sold my old phone for a good price.

Charcoal Black Note 4 with a Spigen screen protector, Spigen slim armor case and a 128GB Samsung MicroSD card. Gonna be a nice upgrade from my old Note 2.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    RUDE;

the only flagship i couldnt get is M9.. but not sure. it looks so TYICAL. and what it has as a special feature anyway? :(

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm waiting for the next Flagship Lumia to the 1080 or 1520. After playing with friend's Note 4 vs a 1520, the Lumia's camera is amazing for nearly half the price of the Note 4 / S6.

I know its a Window's Phone, but I really need a good camera and don't want to carry another device around. As long basic apps are there with a superb camera for a good price, I'm going to consider it.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    S6 is really good . recommend it.

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I like the S6. Its beautiful screen and superb camera is amazing, but I can't justify to fork out nearly 650 USD for it. Its just a phone for Jebus sake!

The Nokia Lumia 1520 is less than half the price with a 20Megapixel camera that rocks so I will wait for the next one coming out this Fall.

I'm on a no name beater Droid for work use... Camera sucks, but is quad core and runs apps fast. Then I realized I hate playing games on a small 5.8" screen and love photography more.

The money I save will goto the King of 4K GPU setup with 4K TV upgrade Fund. GoFundMe Link >here<... :p

18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    $700+ has been the normal "flagship" launch price for awhile if you buy your own phones (though getting it subsidized through a plan usually costs more in the end).

MP isn't everything, and to be honest, even the best cell phone cameras are only "meh" compared to even half-decent point and shoot cameras. I suggest you to find a phone that you like (performance, ergonomics, maybe for a quick photo sometimes), and instead, invest in a good mirrorless/DSLR instead for photos if you really like it (or some of the fixed lens/large sensor super compacts). The difference is absolutely massive if you get used to bringing a camera around with you.

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The S6 is okay.. it may have top end hardware, but the camera that protrudes out of the back is super annoying.
    Also, the price on it is ridiculous.. also, over 1K+ for the S6 Edge? for what? a curved screen that offers no benefit? Get real.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Just got the note gave my boy my note 2, big upgrade from some low end lg. Only got a 64 gig sd card will get a 128 gig and give my kid my 64gig. Currently has a 32gig so everybody's happy.