People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I bit the bullet and ordered an HTC One M8 today, should arrive on Tuesday, although I probably wont get my hands on it until later in the week. Can't wait to actually have access to a decent phone again.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You will like it. In my case I'm coming from a jailbroken iPhone 4S the M8 is a phenomenal phone with very nice build quality. The camera leaves a bit to be desired but overall I am pleased with mine and I've had it for a month now so the "new" has worn off.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I can't wait to get my hands on it to be honest. I'm currently stuck with a poor Huweii phone that I was using as a backup after my Samsung product died. I can say this outright, I'll never ever buy a Samsung phone again. Can't wait for the M8.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Cameras on phones aren't meant to be brilliant. True, they try to be, but people will believe what they want to believe. I remember seeing some photos last year that said 'You won't believe these weren't taken on a SLR' (or something like that, they were iPhone shots), and my first thought upon seeing them was 'Yes I can'. I must admit some were okay if you didn't look too hard, but they were shots that just would have been brilliant if using a proper camera.

Phones are limited due to the lenses, you can't fit good 10x optics in a super thin camera. Detachable lenses seem a bit pointless to me, you might as well use the room in your bag taken up by the lens on a proper camera :). Also, the lenses of most phones end up being covered in fingerprints and dust, a lens cap detracts from the phone's portability. There are also a whole heap of other issues, meaning a camera on a phone is really only going to be good for convenience.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The aperture size on phone cameras are just too small to take good pictures. Even the Isocell camera on the S5 sucks donkey nuts as far as clarity goes. In low light it's absolutely worthless, in great lighting conditions it's still not even decent.

I hope they eventually have modular phones so you can choose the parts yourself. I'd get the biggest fattest one possible that takes half the back cover's surface area.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Wasn't there a Nokia phone recently with a fairly large camera on the back? No idea how good it was though.

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    ^^^
    you talking about the Pureview with the 41 (i think) Megapixels ? THat one was running i think their old software and not WP

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
  9. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    The tablet and phone did arrive on Saturday. :)

The Nexus 7 is a fun device. Standard Android 4.4.2 is really great. Simple and smooth.

The L90 runs the same OS, but it comes with a chaotic UI. But given the price it works fine. I hope I can root it to get rid of their UI. It's not that important, though. It does what it is supposed to do.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    htc one M7 and M8 4 Ultra mega pixel nightshot without Flash is amazing. did u ever experienced my friends? t is like day light shots and camera is so fast. just touch and bam. not like fcking samsung products.

and no need to big mega pixels. i dont print POSTERS. i just put them on social networks and better than any other phone i used which includes all flagships exclude S5. i wont be paying for that crap.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The actual lens on the Lumia 1020 is still tiny though. I haven't looked it up but I can't imagine it being clear for 41MP.
    Yeah I wish more would follow HTC's example and stop making the camera's pixel's microscopic to the point that the high resolution is worthless. The 16 megapixel photos on the S5 are grainy awfulness even under good conditions. The high resolution is useless when no actual detail can be captured with it, whenever I zoom in on anything it's just blurry grains.

Though it does need to be above 4MP in the future, that's just too low for my taste.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I have to agree. This is why the camera on a phone will never be a deal breaker for me.

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I was sick of waiting on stock for the HTC One M8 (I seriously don't even know how that was an issue) so I cancelled my order and picked up a Nexus 5 on my way home. Really happy with it so far, but haven't had much time to play with it yet.

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    what have u done!!!!!!!!!!:bang:

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I saved myself a fair chunk of money and got a phone I absolutely love. :p

17. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Have my Galaxy S5

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    damn u guys...:p

19. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Also got my S5..:D

[​IMG]

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    As much as my Sony Tablet Z is advertised as being waterproof, I don't think I would ever actually immerse it in water.

I take it into the shower and it gets wet with spray, and a drink has been spilled on it, but i'm paranoid about water getting into the charging port and it screwing up.