People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    I like my N5 it suits all my needs so far. If the OnePlus One is any good I may consider it or whatever Google comes out with either another Nexus phone or "android silver" rumor. I'm just waiting for their next big OS release that should make everything feel new again :D

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thanks. Yeah keyboard keys, they're a bit small and I tend to hit wrong buttons when texting etc.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Figured I'd ask this here. I have unlocked my bootloader and rooted my new M8 when an ota update is released will I be able to update normally or will I need to undo the root and lock the bootloader?

4. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    dunno to be honest, but i guess it won't update to unlocked bootloader, or when it will you loose root :nerd: at least on my old S4 before it was the second thing.

On topic: I absolutely love my N5 so dunno if i really need a new one for 2014 but if the N6 gets released i sure will get it :banana:

I mean i owned a S4 with Cyanogenmod before, running it oced to 2ghz and it ran very good, but it still wasn't the same as the N5 i have now, it just works and i absolutely love the community and the pure Android Experience

Last edited: May 7, 2014

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Scerate is right. Once you unlock the bootloader, you will not be able to update over the air or even when using a usb cable.

Your only way to update is to manually flash the latest rom released for your phone.

It's the same as updating via wi-fi or usb. Think of it as manually updating.

You will not lose any data/apps/messages when updating using flashtool. Just make sure you untick Data, Cache & Appslog when doing so!

Are you familiar with using flash tool & flashing a rom? This is the only way you will be able to update to the latest rom/update with an unlocked bootloader.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Guess I will have to learn. There isn't an update avalible yet just curious as I am new to android.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    It's pretty simple to flash something.

You just find a rom you like, grab it and gapps. Sometimes things like HDR+ camera also have to be added on too.

You boot into recovery. Assuming you have everything you want backed up, do a factory reset, wipe the caches, then flash the zip of the rom and then gapps and you're good to go.

Of course I'm simplifying it pretty far, but that's really all you do.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    Got my N5 today, have to say quite like it :) Definite improvement in the screen over the HTC One X, 720p vs 1080p, and its snappier!

9. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    Well no surprises as the One X is two generations behind the latest One.

10. Angel_

Angel_ Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7770 1GHz
    I have a Galaxy Trend Plus S7580. It seems like a minimum these days, might get a S4 mini soon. :)

11. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    The new LG 3G looks awesome - I think they will show it of 27.may, but by the information allready released I think this is going to be my next phone

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I got a z2 yesterday and it went back today. I was trying out the camera and after a few minutes it said "overheated shutting camera down" I thought it might be a one off but no so I goggled the problem and many others have it especially when recording in 4k, so I tried 4k video after the phone cooled down and it lasted 3 minutes.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Guess it needs a new heatsink. Tried re-applying thermal paste? :D

14. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    :) Well it supposed to be waterproof so I could have tried water cooling.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes i have it too, i can manage about 4-5 minutes. i dont have this problem at 1080 but 4k is too much lol

video looks amazing though that has to be said, so hopefully they can fix it. (still ahve to buy a sd card. the recording i made was about 1,5 GB lol)

Last edited: May 22, 2014

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    bought HTC M8 Gold color or what ever it is . so good. feel the power and usefulness of it easily next to HTC ONE m7. dat double tap and wake phone is just my thing. thanx HTC u did it again.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You know you can just swipe up and that will unlock the phone right.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    Altough my old trusty HTC One S does everything i want,in the near future i will have to upgrade,mainly from software standpoint.
    I mean oficially it is obsolete for HTC,and i haven't enough time and patience to root it and flash custom ROM.
    I kept and eye on the new Lumia 630,but i find the 512 MB of RAM a bit low for pairing with a quadcore cpu.
    The waiting game again,comes with the guru's way .

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Yes works so good. Why others doesn't do it. Awesome.

Just phone is a bit big and heavy.

20. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I've finally made up my mind.

For me a phone is just something I mainly use for its primary usage and texting. I rarely use it for internet outside my home. So I went for a LG L90. It has the latest Android, my SIM and memory cards fit in it and it is supposed to take reasonable pictures (considering it is a relatively cheap phone).

I also wanted a tablet mainly to be used at home when I am too lazy to use my computer for watching video clips and browsing the net. Instead of opting for an expensive tablet I went for the 32GB Nexus 7 (2013), because I don't think it's worth it to watch an expensive tablet and fall asleep. Ghehe. Also, I love coding and that thing comes with stock Android, which is probably a benefit when it comes to that.

The e-shop I ordered from gave me a free case for the Nexus 7. I also went for the standard flip case for the phone. It turned out that I got 30 euro off for some reason, so I got the other case for free as well. Cool.

They are supposed to deliver tomorrow. That's odd, because I am not used to receiving packages on Saturday here. It would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised when it arrives on Monday anyway. The site told me that the phone case arrives a week later, though. Optionally splitting the order that way cost me 2 euro. The other stuff has no P&P. So I went for the 2 euro option. That way it doesn't delay delay the rest of the order. A bit odd to pay for that delay, but at least I can expect the main stuff sooner.

Let's see how it goes from here. :)

If only shops here wouldn't think that one euro equals one dollar. 443 euro for the above is supposed to be cheap.

Last edited: May 23, 2014