People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Yea, very true, and it's not overly crucial. I've heard the Turbo will have a locked bootloader and therefore have bad root support, but who really knows... It's fairly stock Android and a brand new phone, so I can't imagine them ending support for it anytime that would ruin my experience. I'm sure updates will take a while but that's a different story. I really don't think there's any perfect phone right now, but this one definitely comes closest for me due to size. I didn't realize the Nexus 6 was the same size or maybe even slightly bigger than the Note 4. Crazy huge.

2. ZRiCK

ZRiCK New Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 660ti PE
    Just got a Droid Turbo.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Upgraded my old brick type Nokia phone to a One Plus One.

Suffice it to say it's quite the upgrade. Waited a long while to get a smartphone, basically wanted something decent that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Someone I knew had a One, but found it to big so I bit the bullet and bought it from him.

Every other Android device I had in my hands before I ever owned a smartphone always had "something" that annoyed me, ranging from smaller to bigger issues.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+ 4GB@1150/1500
    I am waiting for the new chipsets like 810 coming early next year.
    Ultimately I'm holding out for chip that can decode Hi10p 1080 video smoothly; I'm overdue an upgrade!

The current 800/801 chips in most of the flagships are close but not quite there yet; I haven't had a chance to test the high clock speed 805's but I believe they will still be borderline and I'd rather something with a bit more overhead.

One of the new 810's with the new ARM big.LITTLE processor arrangement might just do the job if it's true they're multiprocessor variants which utilise all 8 cores at once if need be, rather than the logical processing variants which use either high perf or low perf cores and not both at once. Will have to wait and see.

The Honor 6 and it's big.LITTLE with MP capabilities seems to do a pretty decent job with decoding, so gives me hope the slightly newer design might give just the boost I need.

5. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I really dislike having that "many" cores, regardless if its always or in a half/half configuration (current big.little implementations). I think a few, maybe 4 max, stronger cores is the way to go. Similarly to the PC world, there won't be many applications that will ever utilize that many threads, much less casual games and really basic productivity apps that exist in a mobile environment. I would prefer to have better IPC, finishing tasks faster and then entering a power down phase. However, marketing will always like bigger numbers... Decoding and perhaps some encoding will be done obviously, but those are much better passed to the GPU or dedicated fixed hardware in SoCs rather than trying brute force software methods.

Just wondering though, how much more intensive is Hi10p vs regular presets? My Xperia Z with an old S4 Pro can decode most 1080p other than a few with quite high bitrate + FPS. I imagine a S800/801/805 should be able to do most if not all 1080p perfectly?

6. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+ 4GB@1150/1500
    I do as well fundamentally, but right now the single core performance/IPC just isn't where that is acceptable for my usage, although most apps will run fine.

The hardware decoding is why your XperiaZ is fine with 1080p, if it had to do it in CPU it may have struggled somewhat.
    Unfortunately I have the Snapdragon 801 in a Kindle HDX, and have played with the SGS5/M8One in the Three store, and even they cannot handle a higher bitrate 1080p file Hi10p file without stuttering/lagging/dropping frames.

Unfortunately when it comes to hardware decoding, none of the mainstream parties are interested in supporting Hi10p profile H264 decoding in hardware as it's not popular enough.
    That is why you do not have any issues with most 1080p, as most of it will be using the mainstream 8bit profiles and thus most of the decoding offloaded to the GPU.

Unfortunately Hi10p suffers twice here, in that A) It cannot be hardware decoded and current and B) It requires significantly more power than 8 bit to decode in the first place.

To see the issue, load MXPlayer so you can utilise multicore software decoding, set up all the hardware decoder+/software options as necessary and set the CPU count to your device/8 threads, and the additional speed optimisations and then try some of the files here:
    http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

You will likely find the top one especially (1080p hi10, decent bitrate, FLAC) will be a slide show.

From everything I've heard and read, the big.LITTLE processor in the Honor 6 does the best job of any phone I've seen yet with its ability to use all 8 cores and gets close. Even then it still frame drops on intense stuff as tested over at XDA, the upcoming Snapdragon should be faster again though.

In theory the current Exynos 5430/5433 should also be faster than the Honor 6, but unfortunately the UK carrier version of the Note 4 is Snapdragon 805-based rather the 5433 and I haven't had a chance to test that although I feel it may still be borderline. I heard the new Samsung Galaxy Alpha UK may be a Exynos 5430 so I may have to have a play with that in town some time very soon to find out, judging by Geekbench both phones may be VERY similar performance wise (and the Nexus 9)

Unfortunate really, at least based on Geekbench, the 5433 is about 25-30% faster the 5430 (and thus the 805) when all cores are used!

Even then, I'd like a further IPC and overhead improvement to ensure I don't run into issues in the future or on high bitrate files.

HEVC will be even worse, but luckily that has hardware support...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014