1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentium D Is Here!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ryman03, May 27, 2005.

1. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
  2. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Yeah, and not a preorder in sight. Looks like one of those OEM-only launches for the time being, if that.

3. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    mmm paper launch :rolleyes:

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Definitely a paper launch - i still can't buy them anywhere... :mad::thumbdown

5. benktlottie

benktlottie Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT (480/1200)
    AMD Dual cores have apeared in UK today on pre-order...4400, 4600 and 4800 aswell !

www.overclock.co.uk

End of June theyre due...
    I have no lans to get one though ! ;)

6. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    So is anyone going to purchase one??

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I can't see why 90% of people would even bother with dual core chips right now. The only people who are going to benefit from it are those wanting to do heavy multi tasking and/or use multi threaded applications.

8. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
  9. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    hardocp posted a link saying Intel plans to ship only 500k dual-core cpu's this year. Most of which will go to tier1 oem's of course.

In other words I wouldn't get your hopes up on buying one. Gonna have to get lucky like some did with the x800xt pe. :)

10. Numinous

Numinous Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4
    Yea I'll buy one for sure but not until Longhorn comes out and I have a real need to not only upgrade to 64bit but dual cores aswell. So in other words not for atleast 12 more months. Come to think of it my MB (Asus P5GD1) supports the 64bit 6XX CPU but not the D so I may just get one of those instead when Longhorn is released. That way I only haf to buy a new CPU, the OS and ofcourse another gig of memory.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am in those 10% - i need a new dual CPU 3D modeling/animation/rendering workstation and i was hoping to get one dual core 3.2 P4 instead of buying a dual Xeon 3.2 rig (i would save a lot on the CPUs, the mobo and the RAM, since Xeons demand special ECC registered).
    If Intel does not deliver soon (end of june), i am going to get either an dual core A64 X2 or an Opteron mobo with a 1XX dual core Opteron or two 2XX single core Opterons - depends what's cheaper at the time... ;)

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well my friend already has one, arrived yesterday.He got it through Dell; one of their XPS Gen 5s. So it's not a paper launch.

13. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Yeah, I know there is a market for dual core cpu's. The benefits are huge if what you do can benefit from another CPU. The benchmarks speak for themselves, as do the reviews.

I just hope your average consumer doesn't jump on the bandwagon like they did with HT, thinking it somehow made surfing the internet and using word faster. Though that's clutching at straws, I think we all know that is likely to happen down the line anyway.

14. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Advantages to Intel Dual core:

We include two cores in one chip which is like having a dual CPU motherboard!!

We give you double the heat problem so that you can go ahead and use more power and watch us throttle your CPU down unless you have exotic cooling!!

We are shipping so few, and most of them to DELL and OEM's so you pay a huge premium!

You can't use existing Socket 775 so go buy a new motherboard!

Most of all we like to rip you off and make you think we know what we are doing!

I have to say that although I haven't been a fan of Intel since the PIII, the Pentium4 wasn't bad and I did recommend it in cases where high CPU usage was needed, but after the heat problems and their Dual Core design being just plain awful... I don't know where Intel is going.. It's kind of upsetting too, i'd like to see some competition to AMD, seriously.

15. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Intel really go screwed by the .09 micron shrinks, it hit them with single core, and hit them even worse with dual-core. I think Intel's going to be out of commission until they get a new core out, or manage to tweak the chemistry for lower heat and higher speeds. Intel really needed >4 GHz to compete, and as that's not gonna happen anytime soon AMD's flying high for the forseeable future. But AMD has to go the same route as well, they're presumbably never getting above 3.0 GHz, and if they thought they could make a lot of them they probably wouldn't have decided to make the next speed grades FX only.

Yeah, apparently not the classic paper release, but definately a limited release. If Dell has it and you don't even see preorders on pricewatch, who knows when you'll see them.

16. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Interesting way to look at it GL. I don't think AMD is stuck below 3GHz, I just think they would have a hard time producing them, but I think with the new Venice core they should have some improved methods to get the clock higher.. AMD wasn't never really big on the speed boost anyways.

My Venice can do about 3GHz on stock cooling, so I don't see why it's not possible.

17. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I will never buy a Dell desktop, ever.
    Only their notebooks are still an option, but seeing that the BOXX and AlienWare sell even better workstation notebooks, i think i will manage to stay away from Dell as long as possible. ;)

18. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Because .09 micron isn't much helping to get out new speed boosts. That is mainly how both Intel and AMD managed to increase speed, though die shrinks. For instance, .18 micron was good up until about 1.8 GHz for AMD I believe, then .13 micron took them to about 2.4 GHz, which became 2.6 GHz with the addition of strained silicon with the FX-55 core. The same speed grade consumes less power, makes less heat, and can be ran faster. But with .09 micron power leakage became a major problem. At about the point where .13 micron could go no further, .09 micron can go further only at the expense of much greater amounts of power consumption and heat, which is what happened with Intel's 3.6 and 3.8 GHz processors, and why we won't be seeing a 4.0 GHz model. AMD hasn't had the same heat problem, but then again they haven't gotten any .09 micron models out over and above what they had at .13 micron. If we ever see a 3.0 GHz model, we may not see it behave as nicely.

The problem will apparently be still worse in each sucessive die shrink. The .065 shrink is apparently about cheaper cores, not faster speed grades. So they may get a speed grade every now and again by a combination of a die shrink and mixing with the chemistry, but until something changes it will not be like the old days. And AMD was really just as much about new speed grades, its just Intel's were necessarily larger due to their choice of pipeline, but AMD put out a new speed grade as much as Intel did. After all, you can only release a genuinely new processor once every few years, after that the only thing you have to offer to keep people upgrading are additional speed grades.

It will be interesting to see what AMD and Intel will have for us after this generation of dual-cores, as they basically throwing every possible model at us at once. Going to .065 micron may free up another model or two faster, but probably nothing more then they managed to attain at .09 micron with a single core. After that, what do we have to look forward to? Quad-core?

19. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    Ya man good point, who knows. But I wonder if these new dual chips are actually that much faster than the top of the line AMD 64s ATM?

20. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    The 4800+ is just a dual-core 4000+... so omitting the FX, then yeah its exactly the same speed. AMD may get another FX or two out at 2.8 and maybe 3.0 GHz, which may ultimately make its way to dual-core... but that's pretty much it until someone invents some new technology to deal with power leakage. Maybe IBM will pull something new like SOI out of their hat for AMD...