Pentium D 940 Heat problem.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ROMA_TUROK, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    After replased stock cooler to Scythe NINJA plus on Pentium D 940 the temperature on full load is 77-78C and I not overclocked the CPU.
    Its OK run on this temperatures?
    That anyone have Pentium D 940 with Zalman CNPS9500 ?
    I have mobo ASUS P5WD2 PREMIUM.

2. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    That heat-sink/fan, Ninja plus is weak, the fan only blows 46.5CFM which is not enough to keep those pipes cool enough.

Also, with a Presler CPU you will want to spread Artic Silver 5 or any other paste all over the integrated heat spreader because Preslers are actually two seperate dies (cores).

If by any chance you can return the Ninja Plus and get a Tuniq Tower 120, it will be a much better choice. I also have a P5WD2-Premium and currently my Celeron D @ 4.20ghz is idling at 37c and 46c-47c under full load.

[​IMG]

The fan in the Tuniq Tower 120, at full speed blows 70CFM.

If you canot return that Ninja Plus, replace the fan with a more powerful, 70CFM at least.

3. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Thanks! :)
    I will try replace thermal paste and fan more powerful.
    I hope its not be to noise.

4. Richie P

Richie P Member

GPU:
    Connect3D X1950XT@660/2000
    Sounds like there's something seriously wrong with the mount if the temps are that high. I've heard and seem reviews that the Scythe Ninja plus isn't a bad cooler.

Try new thermal paste if you're re-using what was there. If you weren't then look at your case airflow. What case are you using?

5. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I order Artic Silver 5 paste and fan,
    but its take month to receive it.
    The case very old, its ANTEC SX 1040B.
    I think its thermal paste problem,
    becase i use some stock thermal paste come with Scythe Ninja.

6. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    that order should do the trick i think
    i have been reading the posts and it looks definitely like a thermal paste prob
    good luck

7. kenshinixr3

kenshinixr3 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900XTX+Asus X1900(mc) X-fire
    I to have a asus P5WD2-E- premium motherboard and im having heating issues with my intel 960..... it idles at at only a little lower then yours, and can hit almost 80C under full load.....no one will tell me if this is a normal thing for a 960 or not and i think its because no one has a damn clue if it is or not lol, but im starting to think the asus board has soemthing to do with it.... this is the 3rd case ive seen exactly like this (same board, same series of pentium D) because the board has an automatic OC (only a measly 2%) thats on by default BUT it doesnt make sense since it only makes my 3.6ghz processor run at 3.629 which isnt even really an overclock at all lol. and i can bet my life i installed it correctly and im using arctic silver 5 with a stock intel certified heatsink and fan that come with it retail.

8. tsquad131

tsquad131 Member

GPU:
    ATI 512mb x1800xt@685/1600
    i have a pentium d 920 oc'd to 3.5ghz with a p5wd2 with the zalman cnps9500 and i get 45c idle and 60c load max in game or a lot of processing. sounds like ur cooler isnt mounted right and make sure u use as5, it helps a lot

9. asadl

asadl Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 ICEQ TURBO 512
    The temps you guys are getting are too high as much as I can think as I know that the proc you guys have and I have are based on different technology but that does not mean that temp can fluctuate that much as i get 32c idle and 47-49c with full load and its over clocking temps my proc is running at 3 GHz...... and it does look like mobo prob as u guys have same mobo and same problem may be the sensor of this mobo is not good or messed up ..

10. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    After applying Artic Silver 5 paste, the temperature drop to 66C on full load.
    And this without replacing fan.

11. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I had thermal paste on my 940 in my new P5W DH M/B and my temps were in the 60s and 70s (very scary!). I added a bit more paste and my temps immediately dropped to 43C at idle...more than a 20C drop. Let this be a lesson guys.:bigsmile:

12. omega_1

omega_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    7600gs 256mb
    try reapplying thermal paste, and reinstall it, the ninja is one of the best cpu coolers out there, also try opening the case door, that will tell you for sure if airflow is the problem, if it improves temps alot...then maybe get better case cooling and possibly a better fan for the ninja....something like a 120mm thermaltake sm2 or somehting that lets you adjust between awesome cooling, and low noise...then find your way in between, low noise/ high performance.

13. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

or trash it and get a athlonx2... atleast u can get a a64 x2 3800+... better than all the pd line