Pentium 4 2.4b @ 3.4Ghz with Stock Cooling!!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Area512004, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Area512004

Area512004 Member

GPU:
    5870's & 5770's in Xfire.
    CPU - P4 2.4b 533.
    Temps - Idle:37C Full load:64C.
    Memory - PC2700 DDR (FSB @ 190MHz).
    Mobo Clock Speed - 760.02MHz.
    Air Cooling on - Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF.

I have read on many forums that the P4's are able to go to 71C+.

It is also Stable in Prime95 and 3D Mark 2003!

I was wondering if this was a good overclock with stock cooling?

Thanks

:D

2. AsianCC

AsianCC Guest

isn't the 2.4 B a 800mhz bus and HT

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    Nope; that's the 'C', 'E' and 'EE' series CPU's...the 2.4A is a 400MHz FSB and the B is a 533MHz proc.

Area512004, that load temp seems pretty toasty to me. If you want to OC, do your rig the courtesy of better cooling first.

It will repay you many times over with better performance and a much longer lifespan.

BTW, my 3GHz Prescott will idle at 28C and load out at 42C...just for sake of comparison.

That is a severe OC for a 2.4b, though...you got yourself a good one there!

Take care of it and it'll take care of your computing needs.

4. x3ro

x3ro Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GTX @ 550/1400Mhz
    Impressiv OC you got there

5. AsianCC

AsianCC Guest

List me the parts you have there for that 2.4b

PSU
    Mobo
    Ram

and what ever else

6. Nerm

Nerm Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga 7900gt Signature Series
    That is a nice OC! Good job!....I have a buddy over at BA that got his 2.0a to 3.6ghz on stock cooling which I think may be the intel record for speed increase on stock cooling.

7. pha|anx

pha|anx Guest

the 2.4A is a 533 bus Prescott core chip without HyperThreading. most 2.4B's don't go over 3.2 GHz. the highest OC I got with my chip was 3.2 GHz, and 3.150 GHz stable

NO Pentium 4 should go over 71 degrees at full load. Northwood's maximum load temperature is 50 degrees, and for Prescott's its 55-60 degrees Celsius. 71 degrees for a Northwood is asking for a quick death. it isn't all that impressive considering your probably shooting more than 1.7 volts through it to reach those speeds, which will also kill it...

8. AsianCC

AsianCC Guest

Whoa wait now,

Pentium 4 2.4A GHz 1MB Cache is a s478 with Bus 533.

Is the the chip that OCs like crazy???

9. AsianCC

AsianCC Guest

because i can pick this chip up new retail for $135 Canadian

10. pha|anx

pha|anx Guest

I don't help flithy liars like yourself, but for the record for other parties with a vested interest in this thread-- yes the 2.4A is one of the most overclockable chips on socket 478

:mad:

11. Infernae

Infernae Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    I personally have stock cooling too, with 2.4C @ 3.3, haven't even touched Vcore, idle 30C, Prime95 loaded only got me to 50C once...hows that for an OC? :D

12. pha|anx

pha|anx Guest

thats a pretty nice oc. I bet theres lots of headroom to go, hopefully your ram can take you there ;)

13. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I have my 2.4b at 3.230ghz.
    Ive had it at a stable 3.6ghz amazingly, all on a swiftech p1000 air cooler (i think its called that), BUT i run it at 3.230 as my temps were at +75c with the 3.6ghz, i lowered it to 3.230ghz because i dont need that much power, so i decided not to shorten its life so much.

BUT yeah the 2.4b's they overclock amazingly, i may put it back up a little more maybe to 3.4ghz again.

14. Infernae

Infernae Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    I got some super cheap ram due to build time cost restrictions, haven't had any problems with the sticks yet. Clocked @ 440mhz according to CPU-Z.

I'm waiting on a 3D Rocket Pro Cooler,...but as soon as that arrives and I get some ramsinks, for safety reasons, I'll be pushing it as high as it'll go.

15. pha|anx

pha|anx Guest

2.4B's suck at overclocking. ask anyone on EOCF or XS, and they'll tell you this. you either got a 'miracle chip', or your lying through your teeth-- that or its some other variant 2.4 that isn't a B rev Northwood

:rolleyes:

16. Nerm

Nerm Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga 7900gt Signature Series
    most B revision P4's don't OC very well. Normally the better OCing chips are the C revisions and some A revisions, but I think I gotta agree with pha|anx on this one.

17. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    2.4A's come in two differnet varieties. 2.4A 512K L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB, 2.4A 1MB L2 Cache, 533FSB.

I have a 2.4A 1MB, 533FSB and I have clocked it to 3.2GHz
    I have a 2.4B 512K, 533FSB and have clocked that one to 2.9Ghz
    I wouldn't call a 20% overclock with stock cooling sucky on the 2.4B

Besides Pha|anx is only getting a 23% overclock :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  18. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I can tell you its definalty a 2.4b northwood, its a c stepping chip, I would hardly say an 830mhz overclock sucks.
    [​IMG]
    I also think some of you are getting things a little wrong, for example a P4 2.4b can have a B stepping, C stepping and a D stepping.
    C steppings of the B series northwoods are great overclockers.
    I am yet to find a b series 2.4 with a C stepping that doesnt overclock great.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  19. pha|anx

pha|anx Guest

stepping isn't the same thing as revision. step refers to sub revision, if there was such a thing. revision refers to generation of the chip-- of which there's an A, B, and C-- you have a B. I had a 2.4B that was an SL6EF C1 step (second of the 2.4B's to be released/revised), and didn't overclock that great. I could hit 3.2 GHz with it sure, but nothing miraculous like 3.4-- and assuredly nothing absurd like 3.6. photoshop is a cheap program when someone 'shares it' for free, the same goes for the saying that "talk is cheap". if your cpu hit 75 degrees celsius, thermal throttling would kick in resulting in a thermal shutdown for safte related reasons. with over the safe voltage limit, 3.6 is in theory possible (extremely improbable)-- however it would be a suicide attempt if it were done. my 2.4B with even 1.7 volts through it (which isn't safe in the long run for a Northwood) would top out at only 3.2-- as the huge voltage increment from stock (1.525) to 1.7 only saw a gain of roughly 100-150 MHz clockspeed. D1's to my C1 according to popular knowledge weren't that better, hitting the same type of wall that I did only garnishing another 100-200 MHz of clockspeed.

20. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    WOW!!! 7 posts and already calling people liers, nice going there mate.
    Anyways if i was photoshoping my specs, surely i would go for a bit more, you know, higher spec, i mean a 2.4b at 3.230ghz, isnt exactly great is it, i mean if i was a lier surely i would aim a little higher, say something like yours, 3.7ghz, like OMG no way impossible HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!!!.

Give it a rest mate, your making yourself look bad, and anyway, your 2.4b wasnt my 2.4b was it?, all chips have different limitations when it comes to overclocking, it isnt an exact science, the fact is i could be a lier BUT so could you, difference is i know mine is truth, as i dont need to lie about my specs, and i also dont need to go around calling everybody else a lier because of theres.
    ---
    Yeah sorry peeps, i ment stepping instead of revision.

Ahh the 2.4b with C stepping, such an overclocker.
    ---
    Ohh yeah to be precise at 3.6ghz it was running with 1.725volts, and at 3.4 it was with 1.7volts.
    [img=http://img40.exs.cx/img40/1659/349jm.th.jpg]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005