peltier on a GTX 480 :)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by geopouros, Aug 18, 2010.

1. geopouros

geopouros Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x ASUS HD5870 ATI
    Im going to throw a question in the mix :) plz do not kill me :)
    this is the stock cooler of the gtx480

[​IMG]

its sticks out of the vga casing .... so lets say i stick a peltier cooler on that site :) (and i know about the hot site of the peltier in the case :) i have a solution for that :) )
    You think it will cool it? Even for a 10-15c

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    i wouldnt even wager a guess as to what kind of temps you could expect, but if you had a decent enough solution to exhaust the heat from the hot side as to keep the cool side cool enough, the heatsink would definitely retain that cold and keep the temps down..
    that said though the 480 is such a heat pump that you'd need a decent size pelt to make it worth your while.
    just my $0.02

3. geopouros

geopouros Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x ASUS HD5870 ATI
    yes i know it like 50-60c you think 45 or 90w?

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    GTX 480 TDP is 250W.

5. geopouros

geopouros Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x ASUS HD5870 ATI
    Xmm thats a lot :) but my aim will not be to cool to 0c but just go down from stock temps without WC

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I definitely think you could manage it, I think though that the degree of cooling would depend mostly on how cool you could keep the hot side, because really that's at the end of the day what will be the defining factor. If you can exhaust enough heat you should see for sure 5-10c down I would imagine.
    Again though, who knows how the card will heat up when the pedal is to the floor and its stressed out. Your idle temps may be great but when your card shoots up to 80c I dunno how good the pelt will do..

7. geopouros

geopouros Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x ASUS HD5870 ATI
    I got 1 x 45w today (that was the only one i cold get for now) and i will give a try :) see the temps what will do and if yes i will get bigger one :)
    for the hot site i will be customizing a gtx 280 stock cooler to go there :)
    that cools a vga that 80c so im good !!