pcitexheapsize, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by stefan, Apr 26, 2001.

1. stefan

stefan Guest

<br>
    What exactly does pcitexheapsize stand for?<br>
    I have read up on what heapsize means, if i am correct it is the allocation of a minimum memoryblock,reserved for a particular application(or game), it is specified in kB.<br>
    In the rivatuner's poweruser settings under d3d , i always set this entry to the value of 1. Without it UT runs not as smooth and fast.<br>
    The preset for unreal tournament for this entry is like 5000, or 10000, cant remember.<br>
    I found out trough experimenting with settings, a value of 1 is optimal for me, but what does this mean?<br>
    That an amount of 1 kB. has been reserved, or that there is no limit set?<br>
    <br>
    <br>

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

&gt; What exactly does pcitexheapsize stand for?<br>
    <br>
    It's the maximum amount of system memory allocated by Direct3D driver <br>
    for textures. It affects PCI boards only or AGP boards running in PCI mode.<br>
    <br>
    &gt; Without it UT runs not as smooth and fast.<br>
    <br>
    Do you have PCI display adapter?<br>
    <br>
    &gt; The preset for unreal tournament for this entry is like 5000, or 10000, cant remember.<br>
    <br>
    The preset for UT does not contain this entry.<br>
    <br>
    &gt; a value of 1 is optimal for me, but what does this mean?<br>
    It means that u allow Direct3d driver to allocate not more than 1 BYTE of system memory for PCI textures. But it can vary for different driver versions. For example detonator 2.xx checks this entry and set it to 1Mb if it's less than 1mb. For the rest drivers this entry can be less than 1Mb.

3. stefan

stefan Guest

<br>
    Thanks for this swift answer, Unwinder.<br>
    Yes, I have a pci adapter.<br>
    It makes sense to me now, it is the same setting as amount of system memory for pci textures.<br>
    I always set system memory for pci texture to 0 or 1.<br>
    I think the 32mb on the videocard should be enough, then the system memory can be used by the cpu for calculations in games.<br>
    <br>

4. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

sounds like a sneeze