1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCIe SSDs slowly replacing SATA3 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    This is going to be my last reply to you, as you are obviously trolling.

The differences varies alot depending on how much bandwidth a game uses, and overall the difference for all resolutions might only be 2%, but that does in no way tell the whole story - a game that uses very little gpu bandwidth, such as battlefield, see minor differences with pcie bandwidth, while a game such as asscreed odessy and witcher 3 that use alot of gpu bandwidth see significant differences in performance according to the amount of available pcie bandwidth.

[​IMG]

But you are probably going to claim that 10% is also just margin of error...

2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    taking 1 edge example over the average result? ignoring the fact that GN tested the exact same thing and showed almost no difference.

I wonder how is trolling?
    got nothing to do with bandwidth and more to do with software/firmware.
    sad to see people that can admit their mistakes....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Thats some good info, please drop a link ill add to my Favorites
    It proved that it has zero effect on 1$ and 0.1% even if higher FPS sometimes gets hit.
    In any case for 60FPS monitors its irrelevant.

4. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    This is an edge case and irrelevant, how many people buy 2080Ti and go game in 1080p? Never heard of any

Of course no one said that we dont need more PCIe lanes, we do and I hope PCIe4 solves it, PCIe Gen4 at x8 [basically PCIe Gen3 x16] will be more then enough for GPUs for next 5-10 years
    And even if we stay at current amount of lanes on mainstream platform we will have virtually twice as many lanes, right now only I haven't seen any PCIe SSDs that can saturate 4 PCIe3 lanes so dropping to PCIe4 x2 lanes will double the mount of PCIe SSDs we could use.

Right now everyone has to decide if he needs maybe faster 2080ti performance or he want to connect his SSD directly to the CPU instead of going trough the chipset, I have 480GB Optnae and connected it into second PCIe slot and got faster benchamrked performance compared to using third PCIe slot that uses the chipset PCIe lanes, cant say how much faster but faster

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Not really. There are loads of testing around the net that demonstrates the loss particularly at higher resolutions needing more bandwidth. That we STILL have you folks arguing this is beyond me. That you claim there is ZERO effect is absurd and seems more designed to inflame than inform.

There's you claiming facts are irrelevant then droning on with your opinion. I still can't see a reason to upgrade from my 6850K, can you? Lanes? I got lanes.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    We base it on actual Techpowerup and Gamers Nexus Benchmarks, and you on your gut feelings.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    To be fair, these kinds of hardware reviews are just a rough guide, and really not that different from trusting in your own experience. After all, hardware reviews aren't like scientific journals, where all information is both peer reviewed and cross referenced.

An informed opinion should take it all in to consideration until such time where the facts become undeniable.