PCIe SSDs slowly replacing SATA3 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Devin Johnel Goss

Devin Johnel Goss Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio 11GB
    Thank you for re-stating what I was trying to convey, but this is why the tech will stay around longer than it should!

2. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I did notice very small bump over sata (850 Evo vs WD Black) and i think there would be a tiny bit more with better cpu.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    For me personally M.2 was just one more option to increase the storage drive count. I have three HDDs, two sata SSDs, and an optical drive, so I ran out of sata ports (since typical mobos only have six). With M.2 NVMe I could add one more, which was nice. M.2 sata, however, would have instead made two sata ports inoperational! Such utter waste.

From my point of view M.2 sata is the pointless one, which is why I only talked about M.2 instead of M.2 NVMe. But of course it was inaccurate. Btw, NVMe also applies when you have an SSD directly in a PCIe slot, so unfortunately your correction to our talk was also inaccurate... NVMe simply refers to an SSD working via PCI Express. Thus the physical slot doesn't matter as long as it supports PCIe.

4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Never said otherwise.... SATA is still ridiculously common and widely supported. it will take some time.
    NVme is obviously the future

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    This is not entirely correct. What you are talking about are new gen motherboards that have a Z chipset... and yes, in this case it is true, you get 24 lanes that aren't connected to the 16 lanes provided by the cpu. But only fairly highend and expensive motherboards have a Z chipset, and most people don't spend alot on an expensive motherboard. Those that do usually buy higher end cpu's that have more than 16 pcie lanes in the first place. But you are correct that m.2 in most cases use the 4 pcie lanes that the chipset uses to connect to the cpu - but then again, i wasn't specifically talking about m.2, as alot of people are still on older gen hardware, that does not have a m.2 slot.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  6. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    That's something different, my motherboard does not have a PLX chip. A Z370 has 16 cpu lanes (16*1, 8*2 or 1*8+2*4), and 24 chipset PCIE lanes and no PLX chip. If you go right down to a budget B360 you still get 16 cpu lanes (16*1) and 12 chipset PCIE lanes.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I see you are replying to my non-updated post.

Regardless it doesnt really matter, because as i said, i wasn't specifically talking about m.2. For anyone with pre 6th gen cpu's (which alot of people still have), you don't have an m.2 slot, and in that case you will have to use the pcie slots to use a NVMe ssd, and that will limit the available pcie lanes to the cpu.

8. Devin Johnel Goss

Devin Johnel Goss Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio 11GB
    Yes it would be, get a large m.2 and put all your OS's on one drive, DONE. Or use m.2 extension ribbons and modify your bays with those so you can have your "separate bays" but now with m.2's. Obviously your capabilities with SATA are greater since its an entrenched tech unlike the newer m.2. I will foresee SATA going by the wayside and PCI SSD being the only option.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Perhaps in the distant future - lots of people are still on older hardware that does not have an m.2 slot, where sata is the only feasible option. As long as that remains the case, there will be sold sata ssd's.

10. Devin Johnel Goss

Devin Johnel Goss Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio 11GB
    I understand that and agree. At some point folks are going to upgrade and I hope they will not "waste" money on an older cheaper board and go with one which has plenty of m.2 because only this will obsolete SATA in the near future. I remember when I upgraded I knew I wanted to future proof my build so I got a board that had m.2 NVMe support. We all at one point or another have some technical Cognitive dissonance which albeit being human nature can afflict even the best of us.;)

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Now they are fast enough to be noticiable, also the price tend to be the same or less expensive.

Same way as with HDD, plug the new one on empty port then clone the old on new and remove the old one, and, if bigger, resize the partition.
    if you have only one port there is PCIe, SATA or USB3 adaptator to do it (for cloning it is fast enough).
    *edit* if it is for OS you better do a fresh instal and only transfer the data.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The problem I have with M.2 drives is when I upgrade to a faster drive I cant continue to use the old one, I dont sell old kit.
    My mobo has one M.2 port and the spare PCI-e x4 slots are covered by 2 wind tunnels feeding my gfx card.

SATA isnt dead until M.2 (or something else) have as many ports and are just as easy to use as SATA.
    With it being SSD only, sizes need to grow hugely and prices drop otherwise SATA will be the only option for local cheap, vast storage.
    I dont even have an M.2 drive yet because they are small, expensive and not much quicker than SATA SSDs in real use.
    I'm luke warm on a 1TB M.2, I wont buy less than a 6TB hard drive.

13. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    From what i can tell, the ones that will see a benefit from SATA to NVME are people working with stuff that have lots of tiny files.
    And i'm talking lots of files that hold metadata that never go above the minimum file size for their file-system.
    Do lots of creation/moving around of 2-4KB files? you'll see an improvement.
    Not from the PCIe speeds, but from the command queue.

Keitosha likes this.
  14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Give us m.2 ports and cables so u dont need the wasted space on the motherboard and can have 6 ports stacked on the side of the motherboard the way SATA ports are now would make life much easier. I guess there are some obvious reason why they dont do this though but I can dream right?

15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    heat, and in the way of pci cards, id imagine why.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My 2 cents:
    M.2 slot is a godsend because removes cable clutter.
    Could it be improved? Of course.
    And newer platforms already offer more PCI-E lanes as we used to have from older blue chip vendor.:rolleyes:

Keitosha likes this.
  17. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    what doesnt matter is the port-slot/plug right ? there is U.2 that using cable that similar to SATA no?
    and someone can make extender-cable like pci-e gpu cable

the problem with m2/nvme is limited pci lanes that can be used for various device, not like sata-lanes that dedicated for storage

well the trend will bring the change to mobo, just like what we experience in past
    IDE/PATA/SCSI -> SATA/SAS -> now NVME(PCIe)
    so the transition is not a thing to worry about

with current trending, i guess we will getting more and more PCI-lanes, except intel/AMD decide to make new bus interface dedicated for storage

18. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Don't laugh it just because you don't see a benefit to it. Depending on your phone, you are probably using something like an nvme on that one ;)
    An iphone SE for example is using a PCIe flash memory controller.

19. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    +100000

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    With command queue you certainly mean the access times? That's what makes mechanical harddrives extremely slow, they do have NCQ but that's not enough in itself.